PDA

View Full Version : Calling Deuce, Alafter - Re: Magnet Strips

Duzza
10-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Do you know exactly how much one inch (or another measurement) weighs? You said that it is significantly heavier than lead tape, but I was just wondering by how much.

Also, how adhesive is it? Assuming its just like a magnet, I'm guessing it won't fall off when playing?

Alafter
10-23-2007, 08:23 PM
The one I have is ....crap lemme go home and get the thickness and width.

I can give you enough info to work it out on a density basis (just in case your strips are diff thickness/width from mine.)

Alafter
10-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Of course the sticky tape behind is every bit as good as lead tapes.

Dont forget that putting at 3 and 9 will make your racquet rebound faster due to the magnetic effects and imparting more energy to the ball. Your K90 can be turned into a Volkl Powerarm!

anirut
10-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Alafter, that sounds interesting ...

Then I could turn my Redondo into a Magnondo this way!!! :lol:

And hasn't you Blade turn into a MagnoBlade by now?

Alafter
10-23-2007, 08:40 PM

Anirut! Yes, I have.

Unfortunately my racquet keeps flying out of my hand and sticking itself to the netpost. So I removed the magnetic strips.

Deuce
10-24-2007, 01:59 AM
Do you know exactly how much one inch (or another measurement) weighs? You said that it is significantly heavier than lead tape, but I was just wondering by how much.

Also, how adhesive is it? Assuming its just like a magnet, I'm guessing it won't fall off when playing?
No, I don't know exactly how much a given amount of magnet tape weighs. I try not to bother with such numbers - when I use the stuff, I put on as much as makes the racquet feel right.

As far as the adhesive goes, I've never had any problems - it sticks very well.
I assume, however, that there is more than one company that makes magnet tape, and so the adhesiveness of some may be better than that of others - as is usually the case with any item produced by more than one maker, qualities can differ.
That said, I buy mine at the dollar store...

keithchircop
10-24-2007, 02:05 AM

If you're gonna start customizing, why not get a cheap 500g digital weighing scale from the bay?

Duzza
10-24-2007, 02:08 AM
If you're gonna start customizing, why not get a cheap 500g digital weighing scale from the bay?

I haven't actually bought the tape yet. I do have a kitchen scale though. I was just interested before I commited to the 3 dollar purchase.

Duzza
10-24-2007, 02:09 AM
No, I don't know exactly how much a given amount of magnet tape weighs. I try not to bother with such numbers - when I use the stuff, I put on as much as makes the racquet feel right.

As far as the adhesive goes, I've never had any problems - it sticks very well.
I assume, however, that there is more than one company that makes magnet tape, and so the adhesiveness of some may be better than that of others - as is usually the case with any item produced by more than one maker, qualities can differ.
That said, I buy mine at the dollar store...

Thanks Deuce, fair comment on using as much as feels right. Sorry, just one more question. How adjustable is it once you have commited a strip to one spot of the racquet?

AlpineCadet
10-24-2007, 02:17 AM
The magnetic strips are actually less dense than lead tape.

keithchircop
10-24-2007, 02:26 AM
I haven't actually bought the tape yet. I do have a kitchen scale though. I was just interested before I commited to the 3 dollar purchase.

Some kitchen scales aren't that sensitive. They're better for weighing racquets than weighing overgrips, know what I mean?

Duzza
10-24-2007, 02:39 AM
Some kitchen scales aren't that sensitive. They're better for weighing racquets than weighing overgrips, know what I mean?

Oh, ok. I figured it would produce similar results since the kitchen scale is <1kg measurements. Might look into getting one then.

Duzza
10-24-2007, 02:41 AM
The magnetic strips are actually less dense than lead tape.
Why would Deuce be stating that magnetic strips are roughly twice the density of lead tape then :confused:

keithchircop
10-24-2007, 02:47 AM
Oh, ok. I figured it would produce similar results since the kitchen scale is <1kg measurements. Might look into getting one then.

Well <1kg might be very accurate, I was referring to the standard <3kg to <7kg ones. Test yours with some fishing weights if you have.

Why would Deuce be stating that magnetic strips are roughly twice the density of lead tape then :confused:

Different brands...

AlpineCadet
10-24-2007, 02:53 AM

I'm trying to help you out here, so please try to have an imagination. Lead is pretty much the most dense material you can find for a thin piece of customizable weight. If what you say about Deuce is true, then he must be talking about a piece of magnetic strip that is probably MUCH thicker than the same length/width lead tape.

Did that help :confused:

Duzza
10-24-2007, 03:00 AM
I'm trying to help you out here, so please try to have an imagination. Lead is pretty much the most dense material you can find for a thin piece of customizable weight. If what you say about Deuce is true, then he must be talking about a piece of magnetic strip that is probably MUCH thicker than the same length/width lead tape.

Did that help :confused:

Yes, true. I wasn't factoring in thickness. Only length/width. Everything on these boards is supposed to be helpful, so yes!

AlpineCadet
10-24-2007, 03:07 AM
Glad I could help, young Padawan! (A Starwars reference.)

Alafter
10-24-2007, 05:35 PM
7.25 cm long * 0.12 cm thick * 1.2 cm wide = 10 grams

Deuce
10-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Yes, magnet tape is noticeably thicker than lead tape.
With the same length and width of both products, the magnet tape will be at least twice as heavy, based on my experience.

As for how 'adjustable' magnet tape is once it has been stuck... I have moved some pieces from one spot to a slightly different spot, and it stayed stuck at the second location.
But, remember that surely all magnet tape is not created equal - especially since you and I are half a world apart geographically. In reality then, my experience with the adhesiveness of magnet tape is largely irrelevant to you. Your magnet tape itself might even be significantly different than the stuff I'm using.

hoons
10-25-2007, 03:31 AM

that is an awesome name. i'd buy a magnoblade..

anyhoo...duzza where did you find magnetic tape? i've looked in woolworths and coles etc and can't find them. next stop is the harware store i suppose

Alafter
10-25-2007, 06:50 AM
Yes, magnet tape is noticeably thicker than lead tape.
With the same length and width of both products, the magnet tape will be at least twice as heavy, based on my experience.

As for how 'adjustable' magnet tape is once it has been stuck... I have moved some pieces from one spot to a slightly different spot, and it stayed stuck at the second location.
But, remember that surely all magnet tape is not created equal - especially since you and I are half a world apart geographically. In reality then, my experience with the adhesiveness of magnet tape is largely irrelevant to you. Your magnet tape itself might even be significantly different than the stuff I'm using.

Well one thing about magnet tape is that it is extremely reusable. Unlike lead tape, which upon removal becomes more shriveled up looking, gets bent/stretched, etc, Magnet tapes wont. They will pretty much retain the same shape getting pulled off, put back on pulled offetc because they just seem to be more rubber-like. The only thing which you will have to worry about is the sticky tape becoming not sticky. In that event, I would just get some doubled sided tape, and the magnet tape should be good as new. Perhaps Deuce would concur on this advantage of magnet tape.

Azrael
10-28-2007, 05:37 PM
"7.25 cm long * 0.12 cm thick * 1.2 cm wide = 10 grams"

Woahh, Alafter you sure that's right? 7.25 cm is only about 2.85 in.