PDA

View Full Version : Weight during the serve

cukoo
10-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Why do many pros, sampras and federer just to name two, have their weight transferred to their back foot during the toss?

I am assuming that they transfer their weight to their front foot then explode up into the ball.
Wouldn't it be more effective to have the weight on both leg during toss and then exploding off both legs? And #2, there's the additional step of having to transfer the weight to the front foot.
Can someone please explain this to me. Thanks

elee3
10-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Why do many pros, sampras and federer just to name two, have their weight transferred to their back foot during the toss?

I am assuming that they transfer their weight to their front foot then explode up into the ball.

Yeah, thats pretty much the answer. Weight starts off in the back, when the ball is released the weight is in the front.

Wouldn't it be more effective to have the weight on both leg during toss and then exploding off both legs?

If your goal is to jump as high as you can, then that would be it. The goal of the serve is the keep momentum forward so pros tend to kinda lean forward or have the weight on the front foot. Although there might be more weight on the front foot they do try to use as much out of both legs to push off into the court at the target.

Check out the tips this person gives to correct people's serves.

http://uk.youtube.com/user/ImOnYourSideTennis

Slazenger
10-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Sampras doesn't have his weight on his back foot during the toss.

elee3
10-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Sampras doesn't have his weight on his back foot during the toss.

Here's a video clip of the Sampras serve.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wsUMOeNi6BU

Well I'm not sure when exactly "during the toss" is. But Sampras starts the toss with weight in the back and by the time the ball is released from the hands his weight is forward.

ShcMad
10-23-2007, 09:50 PM
If you see the serve motions of Haas, Youzhny, and Safin, you can see that they take a little step forward before the ball toss in order to unweigh the front foot.

Slazenger
10-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Here's a video clip of the Sampras serve.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wsUMOeNi6BU

Well I'm not sure when exactly "during the toss" is. But Sampras starts the toss with weight in the back and by the time the ball is released from the hands his weight is forward.

He is transferring his weight forward as he tosses. Same with Federer.

Leelord337
10-23-2007, 11:16 PM
First just relax and breathe before you serve.
Second, Hold the racket with your favorite grip (no such thing as a bad grip as long as it's semi conventional and works for you) Keep your wrist loose to get the good wrist snap that gives you power.
Third, toss the ball to the perfect height and bend your knees slightly to give you more power as you swing into the ball, Really with your arm think "spaghetti" which means to keep your arm as loose as possible. this will give you lots of power. for example Andy Roddick's keeps his arm very loose while he serves.