PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova match, confusion at the last speech?

wt888usa
11-16-2004, 07:07 AM
what happened at the final speech when they were turning over the microphone to sharapova? something ran behind them and they looked all confused, and serena couldn't stop laughing. was there a streaker? can anyone at the game tell us?

davey25
11-16-2004, 07:10 AM
I saw no streaker. I think they just like to laugh, it is their personalities.

Ronaldo
11-16-2004, 07:31 AM
Thought BJK mentioned to both that the match used to be best 3 of 5 sets, and the fans wanted more tennis. Bring the pain

Peter Samprer
11-16-2004, 07:34 AM
I saw no streaker. I think they just like to laugh, it is their personalities.

someone ran behind sharapova but just saw a glimpse of it. sharapova started to look around with an ingnorant face. they moved the camera to serena and she was laughing.

atatu
11-16-2004, 08:24 AM
I thought Sharapova looked kind of concerned, like she was worried about her safety....

norcal
11-16-2004, 09:06 AM
It was Yuri. He ran over and grabbed that big cardboard check Maria got for winning. That's why Maria looked so distressed. And that's why Serena was laughing.
Rumor has it after the ceremony Serena took Maria aside and said, "Buy your dad a video camera. It will keep him busy and keep him from acting like such a tool all the time."

Kevin Patrick
11-16-2004, 10:16 AM
The post match activities were more entertaining than the match. This tournament has been lackluster from the beginning, you'd think that security could prevent someone from running on the court like that. Sharapova definitely looked concerned, surprised Serena would be laughing considering her own stalker problems.
just read this on tennis-x.com:

"Brickbats to ESPN for not following up on what their camera was reporting after the wild Serena Williams-Maria Sharapova final at the WTA Championships. Maria's dad Yuri runs on the court afterwards for the congratulatory hug, then does some joyful running around accompanied by maniacal arm-windmilling ala Pete Townsend, but then seconds later the ESPN cameras show the dad angrily mouthing f-bombs to someone else in the crowd and being restrained by his posse. Hey Cliff and Pam and Mary Joe, way to pretend that didn't happen. Also among the highlights was someone from the crowd bum-rushing the on-court trophy presentation, much to the entertainment of Serena who was doubled-over with laughter at the WTA staff's inability to stop the intruder"

Andy Zarzuela
11-16-2004, 10:59 AM
what happened at the final speech when they were turning over the microphone to sharapova? something ran behind them and they looked all confused, and serena couldn't stop laughing. was there a streaker? can anyone at the game tell us?

No, Serena was laughing because when Maria found out that she won a car, she was looking all over for it. Then the guy said "We couldn't drive it on court so we got you a key and a small car." Serena was laughing at Maria's nieveness and the small toy car she got. I thought it was funny. Maria is still new and learning and I found that funny too.
________
THE CIGAR BOSS (http://thecigarboss.com/)

VashTheStampede
11-16-2004, 11:57 AM
I noticed someone running behind them. Then, Maria said something to the lady, but it was inaudible because she didn't have the mic. The lady then said, "I don't know." Maybe Maria asked who or what that was.

BreakPoint
11-16-2004, 12:11 PM
No, Serena was laughing because when Maria found out that she won a car, she was looking all over for it.

Does Maria even have a driver's license, yet? What a waste of a Porsche to give it to a 17 year-old. :(

USO2000
11-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Considering that Maria donated it to the victims of recent school tragedy in Russia I would not call it a waste.

norcal
11-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Considering that Maria donated it to the victims of recent school tragedy in Russia I would not call it a waste.Well dead people have even less use for a porche than a 17 year old!

That was tasteless of me.

Peter Samprer
11-16-2004, 01:29 PM
Considering that Maria donated it to the victims of recent school tragedy in Russia I would not call it a waste.Well dead people have even less use for a porche than a 17 year old!

That was tasteless of me.

http://www.clublakers.com/forums/images/smiles/stupid.gif

did she even mentioned that she will donate the car? what she probably meant was the money. well, maybe not all of 'em. i don't think she's stupid enough to ship the vehicle to her home land instead of just money donation which is easier.

BiGGieStuFF
11-16-2004, 01:36 PM
it's on ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=1923722

Sharapova earned $1 million -- tying the U.S. Open winner's check -- for the second major title of her career. She also received a new SUV worth $56,300.

She said she planned to give the car or proceeds from its sale to the survivors of the September hostage-taking in Russia that left more than 300 people dead, half of them children.

Brettolius
11-16-2004, 01:43 PM
so the porsche suv is only worth $56,300 ? that seems a little low too me, but hey, it's not like i've been porsche shopping lately. so what do i know? (no need to answer that!)

BiGGieStuFF
11-16-2004, 01:48 PM
so the porsche suv is only worth $56,300 ? that seems a little low too me, but hey, it's not like i've been porsche shopping lately. so what do i know? (no need to answer that!)

I believe the base price for the Porsche Cayenne S is that price. That's w/o options or anything and that's not even the Turbo model.

@wright
11-16-2004, 01:54 PM
Usually when they win a tournament they can get either the prize money and the car or prize money + value of the car (more prize money). She probably opted for the extra prize money and donated it to the school. Nice gesture of her for being 17, I would have bought something stupid with the money at that age.

Peter Samprer
11-16-2004, 01:57 PM
Usually when they win a tournament they can get either the prize money and the car or prize money + value of the car (more prize money). She probably opted for the extra prize money and donated it to the school. Nice gesture of her for being 17, I would have bought something stupid with the money at that age.

yeah, sharapova is acting like she's not 17. she's matured already and that's good for her and her publicity. the more humble she is, the more fans and ad company she'll get. :wink:

topspin
11-16-2004, 02:11 PM
Exactly. Only an arrogant and misinformed person would try to label Maria as immature, but clearly she is very much an adult and learning very quickly how to handle the media and how see life in proper perspective. Impressive young woman!

mlee2
11-16-2004, 03:39 PM
Porsche SUV?! Couple years ago, that would've been an oxymoron.

Ronaldo
11-16-2004, 04:27 PM
A 450 hp Porsche SUV, sick

Deuce
11-16-2004, 11:20 PM
Any child would appear comparatively mature next to that nut Yuri.

And, yes, it was nice of Sharapova to donate to the victims of the tragedy. How much of this was her idea, however, and how much of it was her agent's, or her father's idea, none of us know. Either way, I assure you all that Sharapova's agent and father are well aware of the fact that such a gesture is good for the marketing of Maria Sharapova.

Apparently ol' 'topspin' knows Sharapova very, very well. Well enough to refer to his good friend as 'Maria'... and well enough to pronounce a very definite opinion about her 'maturity'.

Of course, topspin doesn't know 'Maria' at all in reality. (Not to mention the fact that in order to recognize immaturity, one must be mature oneself.)

Personally, I have never met Maria Sharapova. But I also recognize that I have never in my life met a mature 17 year old. Frankly, I doubt the existence of such a creature. And I've met plenty of 17 year olds. Certainly, some 17 year olds are more mature than other 17 year olds, and some are less mature. But, in a general sense, to say that any 17 year old is mature is simply to reveal one's rather profound ignorance.

That's why T.J. Simers' opinion on Sharapova has far more value than does topspin's 'opinion'. Simers spent some time with Sharapova. He asked her some tough and poignant questions. Simers himself has two daughters who have been 17 years old, which gives him a definite credibility. That he writes with an all too uncommon understanding and compassion gives him all the more credibility. It has also earned him my genuine respect.

Of Sharapova, he writes: "Sharapova may or may not be the most mature 17-year-old the world has known, but she's still 17. A kid.... I showed Sharapova the leaflet and said I thought they were selling sex rather than tennis, and what did she think?

"I don't care what they're selling," she said, which is what I'd expect to hear from an immature 17-year-old girl."

Here's a link to the thread containing the entire article in which T.J. Simers shows that he knows much, much more about kids, about greed, about compassion, and about life in general than our buddy topspin will likely ever know.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/viewtopic.php?t=23809&start=0&postdays=0&postorder =asc&highlight=

topspin
11-16-2004, 11:37 PM
Ahh I see Deuce has finally tracked down this thread, how convenient of him to crawl in here like a lil fish spewing his psycho babble and quoting from one idiotic arrogant reporter who just happens to agree with his opinion. My opinion of Sharapova has increased dramatically because of the way she replied to that clueless reporter looking for a story and trying to exploit Sharapova's youth and inexeperience in dealing with the media.

My opinion of Maria is based on seeing her very up close and personal this year and based on what I see on tv. Now Deuce is one guy here that claimed to know John McEnroe better than someone who actually met him in real life, so it's totally and completely laughable for him to criticize me for forming an opinon of Maria based on both tv

But I don't expect Deuce to get off his high horse and quit lecturing the message board like the know-it-all he thinks he is, so this thread might become quite lengthy.

Deuce
11-17-2004, 12:48 AM
Indeed, after more than 20 years of exposure to John McEnroe on TV, both on the court and off it, as well as personally knowing and talking with several persons who have had numerous very direct experiences with McEnroe, I feel I am qualified to give an opinion on him.

You, topspin, on the other hand, have seen your beloved 'Maria' on TV half a dozen times over the span of likely less than one year, and have been "very up close and personal" (whatever that means) with her for all of, what, a minute a day for 5 days? That qualifies you to tell us whether the perfume she was wearing smelled nice, or stunk - that's about it.

Topspin, you have emerged as one of the ultimate hypocrites on these boards. You persistently blast anyone and everyone who does not agree with your bizarre, hollow 'opinions', insulting them left and right, telling people that they have no idea what they're talking about, and so they have no right to a strong opinion, and that you are far, far more informed than are they (although you never provide any proof or evidence of this) - you then make known your own (usually very misguided) 'strong opinion', which is based on absolutely nothing concrete (note your scathing and very personal criticism of T.J. Simers for the sole reason that his perspective differs from yours) - and to top it all off, you constantly whine that others are insulting you when you do as much - and usually more - insulting of others than others do of you. (And after all of this, you very loudly - and comically - insist that you are non-judgemental!!)

Have you not noticed the high number of insult-ridden arguments you've had with other posters recently? And a number of these problems have been with decent, mature posters. You post your 'opinions' as if they are absolute, undeniable gospel - without ever any concrete evidence to support it. That tends to p!ss people off - and several people have let you know this recently. But you just keep going - you don't learn from your obvious mistakes.

Seems to me that all of your overactivity on these boards of late is little more than a desperate attempt to camouflage your immaturity and ignorance with bravado. Congratulations - with your 'contributions' of the past few weeks, you're now among the top ten fools on these boards.

With regards to Sharapova... as I alluded to previously, it's difficult for immature persons to see immaturity in others. The immature view many similarly immature people (even 17 year olds) as being 'mature', because they so desperately wish to be viewed as being 'mature' themselves - kind of like a 'maturity by association'.

(How's that for 'psychobabble'?)

BiGGieStuFF
11-17-2004, 07:32 AM
I don't care how long you have watched someone on TV or how many 3rd party stories you have heard. You just can't make a good judgement of character based on that. The only thing you can judge is their public persona as we all know celebrities can be completely different behind closed doors.

thatballwas_IN
11-17-2004, 10:01 AM
Everybody run! the Deuce is loose!
:evil:

gts072
11-17-2004, 10:54 AM
I heart Sharapova...:)

GuyPerez
11-17-2004, 11:08 AM
I am pretty sure I heard several times on TV that the purse for the winner was one million dollars and a car to donate to their favorite charity. I think the whole car donation thing was the idea of the sponsor/tourney, not the players.

topspin
11-17-2004, 05:38 PM
Oh I see the self acclaimed grand puba of the board has replied.

Deuce don't you even begin to realize that you are the one who goes around these boards with a know it all attitude; unwilling to compromise or even begin to try to understand a different opinion other than your own. Oh so you want to talk insults, why you don't you bother to look up pretty much 99% of all the threads you've been involved in (old board and new) and check out some of the insults thrown at you. They seem very, in fact scaringly accurate.

I don't care about the insults I've got recently, like in the baseball thread. After all, they are coming from posters who's opinions mean nothing to me, people like you and Phil and Dedan or whatever he chooses to call himself these days. In fact, to have posters like you disagree with me proves I'm on the right track.

I see you're still trying to rationalize the McEnroe and Sharapova topics. Too bad no one seems to care.

You want some psycho babble, how about the possibility that a truly immature person is one who cannot accept maturity in another, regardless of age. If anything, I'm not concerned about the kids viewing Sharapova's ad, I'm concerned about someone like you who claims to have experience and enlightenment in life and then focusing if not obsessing so much about what young girls are wearing and trying to control their lives.

Your recent posts on this thread do nothing more than promote the hipocrite that you are.

How dare you even try to minimize the charitable act made by Sharapova on behalf of a truly tragic event in Russia in which so many innocent people, most of them young children, were murdered. Oh I'm sure you'll come up with a way to rationalize this too now. Sheeesh

Deuce
11-18-2004, 01:49 AM
I just looked up 99% of the threads I've been involved in, and the only thing it revealed is that you are a blatant liar, topspin. Go ahead and search for them yourself. The evidence is there, and it contradicts your foolish claim. By my calculations, I've been insulted in but a mere 12% of threads I've been involved in. And 89% of those insults have come from the same three persons. Shall I await an apology on your erroneous calculation, then?

You, on the other hand, have been almost out of control of late on these boards. Prior to the past few months, you seemed to be just a regular poster on these boards - simply posting without attracting much attention, positive or negative. But in the last couple of months, that's all changed. Since then, you've been getting into fights with numerous people - certainly not just me. It's like you became an obnoxious jerk overnight.

"I don't care about the insults I've got recently, like in the baseball thread. After all, they are coming from posters who's opinions mean nothing to me, people like you and Phil and Dedan or whatever he chooses to call himself these days. In fact, to have posters like you disagree with me proves I'm on the right track."
Wait a minute... Phil is your enemy again? Gee, wasn't it only a little while ago that you were complimenting him on his 'understanding' after he unleashed a few insults my way? So, if you judge your righteousness by your disagreements with us, then Phil’s opinion of you and of me is right... no, wrong... no, right... Damn... people like you who twist and manipulate your interpretations and perceptions to suit whatever is your current agenda at a given time always confuse the hell out of me. And it’s not just me, Phil and Sean who you’ve had problems with of late, by the way.

I won’t even go into your never-ending posts relentlessly insisting that your Laserfibre stringing machine is the bestest, most perfect little machine ever produced in the entire universe, and shooting down - ad nauseum - anyone who dares disagree.

I don't know... maybe the obnoxiousness was always lurking just beneath the surface - or maybe something happened in your life that resulted in this most undesireable change. Maybe you're finally showing your true colors, or maybe you're really the poster you used to be who didn't insult people left and right and look for fights. Only you know. All I know is that lately, you've been quite difficult to tolerate with your obnoxiousness, arrogance, and insults - and that's a view shared by a few other people. For the sake of both you and all of us, I hope you regain your former self soon.

"How dare you even try to minimize the charitable act made by Sharapova on behalf of a truly tragic event in Russia..."
How dare I even try to introduce a little reality into the situation. Hey, if you want to believe that your good friend "Maria" thought that donation up all on her own, that's fine. Perhaps she did. And perhaps she did it for the right reasons. I hope she did. But there's at least a very good chance that her agent, or father, or someone else close to her, came up with the idea, knowing that it would reflect well on your good friend "Maria" - which inherently translates into greater marketing opportunities, which results in more money. These people aren't stupid - the great majority of agents, etc., today are professional manipulators whose only goal is to do anything it takes to gain money for their client (which also means more money for the agent, of course).

As for your further 'perspective' on "Maria", and your 'view' on children - aye, even your very definition of children - all I have to say is that there are those who understand cause and effect, as well as the profound nature of certain matters, and there are those who haven't a clue about such things - they see merely the surface of everything. It is very clear in which camp you reside.

BiGGieStuFF
11-18-2004, 07:06 AM
http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/grouphug.gif

Dedans Penthouse
11-18-2004, 07:22 AM
topspin: Since you dragged me, an "innocent bystander" :wink: into this mess of a treatise, let's revisit reality regarding that particular baseball post. You started out by slam-dunking the sport of baseball (all well and good, that's your opinion?....fine!), but you didn't acknowledge the fact that people (remember these words from that post?...) "PEOPLE TOOK THE TIME," MYSELF INCLUDED, to explain many of the "why's? and how come's?" to questions/complaints that you had about the game of baseball. Instead you choose to ignore considering the info. offered and with the stubborness of some recalcitrant child, you kept banging your rattle on your high chair and repeated your snotty-toned mantra of:

"game stupid!...topspin no like baseball...baseball stupid...people who like baseball=stupid!"

Would you have rather the contributing posters reply to your provocatively titled thread ("Baseball--silliest game") and in unison post "Amen, you're right topspin! Dumb game. Stupid game. Aggh, spiting tobacco!" ..... is that what you wanted? Was that the only thing that would've made you happy? No discourse, just a litany of "amen topspin!" from the peanut gallery? Where's the objectivity? Where's the reasoning? What's the point then?

topspin: at the risk of belaboring the point, in that baseball post, a number of posters WHO DO KNOW the "in's and out's" of a sport you never played (and thus, maybe didn't understand?) ALL TOOK THE TIME to contribute information for your edification, be it historical, strategic or even anecdotal in nature if only TO PROVIDE YOU with pertinent items to consider. In turn, it was YOU who choose to continue to ignore the information offered to you, and to post subsequent replies in a churlish, sneering tone. Having had enough of your sneering, you then indeed were called on your "attitude" and rightly so. You revealed in that post, an uncompromisingly (recently) caustic tone, i.e. what it seems you've become lately.

Look, I'm no prize myself and I'll be the 1st to admit it but I don't slam-dunk people simply for the sake of slam-dunking them. If I disagree with someone or something, I'll disagree.....and if I happen to see "nasty for nasty's sake" or some lowblow cheapshot that has nothing to do with the subject at hand but is more some "agenda-driven" flame, then I'm not above calling someone on it with a barb of my own---but to flame without reason, i.e. simply for the sake of slam-dunking someone? Nope.

topspin, I have no qualms about pointing the "jerk" radar at myself: I Dedans Penthouse have authored some rediculous, some very incorrect at times, some lame attempts at humor type of posts. See? Simple and painless. Again, at times, I'm no prize....but I think I get the big picture here. And you? You wanna tell me and the rest of us knuckleheads that you haven't more than slung your share of spit at people lately? You wanna tell me that YOU have been the reasoned voice of objectivity? That's not an insult, that's a question I'm earnest putting to you. What the hell is your problem..........lately? ..... well? ......

For whatever it's worth (or however worthless I may be to you, et al), let me say this: since it was YOU who brought up that "BASEBALL--SILLY GAME" thread into this discussion (i.e. since you consider it still relevant), I will use a "gold nugget" contained in that thread to remind myself of why you and I are different birds of a different feather. And what I'm referring to is this: say what you want about me.........nobody......... and I mean NOBODY has ever accused me of not getting any "pee-wee nookie." And therein lies the difference, my good friend. No pee-wee nookie? And you call yourself "topspin?" Change your moniker to "backspin" ....... and "back off" Jack.

heycal
07-02-2008, 11:56 PM
So where were things left with this one?