PDA

View Full Version : How does the Prince Tour NXG Graphite compare to the POG?

woodmo
10-24-2007, 03:52 AM
I use the POG oversize but was looking at the NXG midplus for a little more maneuverability. I would appreciated any comparisons between these two in terms of feel, power, and control? Thanks.

keithchircop
10-24-2007, 04:03 AM
The NXGs were total flops. They get so little love on this board.

DustinW
10-24-2007, 04:53 AM
I play with the NXG MP and I think its great. For me, its a perfect blend of control, power when I want it, and great feel of the ball... and one of the most stable racquet I've ever used. Its been a long time since I've played with a POG, so I can't really help with a direct comparison. I used to play with the Graphite II, and I think the NXG has similar power to the PG II with more control.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing most people around here who talk bad about the NXG have probably never hit with it.

ollinger
10-24-2007, 06:09 AM
I've spent plenty of time with both - NXG more comfortable, a little more power, really a pretty good racquet. I think the funky paint job and string breakage from the grommetless design (I've not had the problem, using both poly and multi at times) turned people off to it, and it was expected to be a refinement of the POG, so I think people never assessed it in its own right.

fuzz nation
10-24-2007, 06:14 AM
In my experience with both sticks, the POG has a good bit more swingweight and stability that the NXG mp, which is quite headlight and very maneuverable. If the POG is a little "too much racquet" to swing and play comfortably with, the NXG could be a reasonable alternative, but it doesn't plow through the ball quite so much as the POG. What the NXG does offer is good control and plenty of spin potential with only moderate power. I see it as an alternative to a lot of frames around these days that are designed for serious power.

Due to the healthy headsize of the midplus, I found the top of the recommended tension range to be too low for the crisp feel I wanted (I string with 16 or 17 ga. synthetic gut) and got better results by stringing a couple of lbs. above the max. The NXG is knocked for having a dead feel to it and I think that the firmer stringbed helps solve this with the mp.

mdjenders
10-24-2007, 06:20 AM
Yet another person who could benefit from a 100 sq in, standard length POG. I too have some trouble with the maneuverability of the POG oversize, but I tried the NXG midplus and it just didnt have the addictive plowthrough effect that the POG does.

GS
10-24-2007, 08:28 AM
Strange that NXGs get so little love here, yet the MidPlus won Tennis Magazine's Editors Choice award a few years ago....I own 4 of em and might buy one or 2 more. With a high string tension, they feel very crisp and perform great, as least for me. At their price, they are truly a bargain.

robby c
10-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Prince: Please make a 100 sq in POG with 27" length. I will buy it!
Robby C

rletizia
10-24-2007, 12:55 PM
I love the NXG mid. I just string with 17 hybrid (poly and blend) and I've never had a string break once. It is nice and heavy, with great balance. It really handles returns and heavy balls well.

rletizia
10-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Strange that NXGs get so little love here, yet the MidPlus won Tennis Magazine's Editors Choice award a few years ago....I own 4 of em and might buy one or 2 more. With a high string tension, they feel very crisp and perform great, as least for me. At their price, they are truly a bargain.

I totally agree, especially with using a high string tension. I own two and would like a couple more.

mdjenders
10-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Prince: Please make a 100 sq in POG with 27" length. I will buy it!
Robby C

ditto! Lots of racquet enthusiasts probably would. Prince should have the O port line to make the big $$$ from the general public and a "heritage" line to appease those who enjoy the older basic graphite design. Prince shouldn't scrap one of its most successful, classic designs by discontinuing frames (POG LB) or not updating them (where is the 100" POG).

superstition
11-08-2007, 05:33 PM
I don't like the NXG at all.

Bud
11-08-2007, 09:45 PM
The NXG Mid and Mid+ are both great sticks. Way underrated and underappreciated. I've seen the mids on fleabay for 25 bucks.

It doesn't feel like the POG. The string pattern on the NXG mid is 18x20... pretty tight for a 92 sq. in. head. It has a more refined feel than the POG. That's what makes the POG special, though. It feels a bit rough-edged.