PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Eastern Forehand - Power V Grip

Tim Tennis
10-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Hi Guys,

Well I just spent all morning trying to improve the Hybrid Eastern Forehand Grip page. It was terrible. I wrote it and it even confused me. Hopefully this version is better. The point I am trying to make on this page is how repositioning the palm of your hand can change the propensities of the Eastern Forehand giving it the properties of the Semi-Western grip. Link below.

http://www.tennisgeometrics.com/hybrid_eastern_grip.html

Appreciate any comments, thoughts, opinions, suggustions, questions.

Best regards,

Ed
Tennis Geometrics

http://www.tennisgeometrics.com

paulfreda
10-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Ed
While this palm repostioning may seem very important to you, it is not clear to me why it deserves its own name as a grip.
Moving the base knuckle 1/8 turn from Eastern yields a SW grip.
But moving it 1/16th turn has no official name [extreme Eastern ?] yet it plays quite differently.
I use a 1/16th turn past SW and it also has no universally understood official name.

My point is that repostioning the palm, just like the long vs short [hammer grip] Continental is a subtle technique issue, not a new grip IMO. This may be why you are having trouble making the distinctions very clear. One sentance should be able to articulate the idea. From there you can talk about the benefits and situations to which it applies.

JMHO

Great product, btw. I am sure it has helped many a player.

Tim Tennis
10-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Paul,

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Good to hear from you. Maybe I am being too dramatic, you are right, there are so many names for grips it confuses everyone. You are right, it is not actually a new grip but a repositioning of the palm from the standard position most people use for the EF. I guess I liked the term "Hybrid Eastern Forehand." It sounds a lot better then "EF with repositioning of the palm." I was hoping it would at least encourage people to look at the page and get them to think about experimenting with the position of the palm on all the grips.

You said, "This may be why you are having trouble making the distinctions very clear. One sentance should be able to articulate the idea. From there you can talk about the benefits and situations to which it applies."

I will have to see if I can modify the page along these lines. I have found some people love the micro detail and others like short summary statements. I have to admit I get bogged down with providing too much information.

Thank you for your constructive criticism and kind words.

Best regards,

Ed
Tennis Geometrics