PDA

View Full Version : Lame excuses

tytan
11-16-2004, 07:20 AM
Wiliams' lost to Sharapova...
Roddick's lost to Federer...

notice how the press never fails to mention that the losers were injured. the American lost...just accept it, don't go providing lame excuses and lessening the victory for the winner by citing injuries.

pathetic...

Peter Samprer
11-16-2004, 07:22 AM
oooooohhhh, anti-american eh?

drakulie
11-16-2004, 07:23 AM
True. In fact if my memory is correct, Serena has never been "beaten" she has simply lost beacuase of some injury or other excuse. She needs to grow up.

ezdude1970
11-16-2004, 08:01 AM
not that i am a big serena fan, but i was watching the match last night, and she did look injured to me. or she just enjoyed serving like she was club level 2 player.

norcal
11-16-2004, 08:11 AM

notice how the press never fails to mention that the losers were injured. the American lost...just accept it, don't go providing lame excuses and lessening the victory for the winner by citing injuries.

pathetic...
I think Serena took a cue from the greasy hair sporting euro soccer players who pretend someone touched them then roll around on the ground writhing in make believe pain hoping to get a red card or yellow card or gold star or whatever and delay the game until the inevitable dramatic 0-0 tie.

tytan
11-16-2004, 08:20 AM
i do not doubt that they might indeed be injured...but what ****es me off is that the american press somehow plays that up by mentioning it even in the headlines.

eagle
11-16-2004, 08:44 AM
Question.. Maria moved here when she was 7 years old. Is she a naturalized citizen? If so, why do they say she's Russian? She's of Russian descent, but if she is naturalized, then she is American like Martina Navratilova. Yes? No?

r,
eagle

norcal
11-16-2004, 08:47 AM
Question.. Maria moved here when she was 7 years old. Is she a naturalized citizen? If so, why do they say she's Russian? She's of Russian descent, but if she is naturalized, then she is American like Martina Navratilova. Yes? No?

r,
eagle
Maria is not naturalized. She probably will be when she gets older like Martina did. I certainly don't see her retiring to Moscow!

tytan: I was just kidding around.

@wright
11-16-2004, 08:52 AM
Wouldn't that be nationalized? I don't think I've heard the term "naturalized"...

mach1
11-16-2004, 09:06 AM
When a country gives full citizenship to someone foreign born it is called naturalization.

Peter Samprer
11-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Wouldn't that be nationalized? I don't think I've heard the term "naturalized"...

nat·u·ral·ize
v. nat·u·ral·ized, nat·u·ral·iz·ing, nat·u·ral·iz·es
v. tr.
To grant full citizenship to (one of foreign birth).
To adopt (something foreign) into general use.
To adapt or acclimate (a plant or animal) to a new environment; introduce and establish as if native.
To cause to conform to nature.

v. intr.
To become naturalized or acclimated; undergo adaptation.

na·tion·al·ize
tr.v. na·tion·al·ized, na·tion·al·iz·ing, na·tion·al·iz·es
To convert from private to governmental ownership and control: nationalize the steel industry.

To make national in character, scope, or notoriety: “His high profile on such issues as abortion... has already begun to nationalize his image” (Kenneth L. Woodward).
To render distinctively national: characteristics and issues that have tended to nationalize American political life.

===
naturalized seems to be a better term, doesn't it? ;)

BiGGieStuFF
11-16-2004, 09:17 AM
She has to apply for naturalization first from my understanding. YOu can stay here with a work visa or an legal alien card but if you want to become a citzen of the US you have to apply then stay here the 7 years I believe and then take your test for US citizenship.

USO2000
11-16-2004, 09:52 AM
TO become an American citizen one has to be a Permanent Resident (Green card holder) for 5 years before to be able to apply. After this naturalization process including fingerprinting, US citizenship and language test , interview and taking a pledge of Allegiance takes about a year-year and a half. It does not require giving up any citizenship. So, Maria may as well be a dual citizen but chose to represent Russia.

Dedans Penthouse
11-16-2004, 10:20 AM
TO become an American citizen one has to be a Permanent Resident (Green card holder) for 5 years before to be able to apply. After this naturalization process including fingerprinting, US citizenship and langueage test......

LANGUAGE TEST
PART IV: Geography

1. The "Rio Grand" serves as a border between what two countries?

A. Brazil and Japan
B. France and the Ivory Coast
C. Mexico and the United States
D. Italy and Philadelphia

Answer: Si'

bb47
11-16-2004, 03:12 PM
First, being a Russian tennis player is great, especially for those with huge endorcements, because the basic tax rate in Russia is 15 per cent regardless of your personal income - much less than anywhere except Monaco and maybe Caiman Islands....

Second, I believe she will eventually apply for the US citizenship simply because the American passport gives more freedom to travel, but she will sure remain a Russian citizen as well.

And third, a "Russian beauty" thing is a good trademark, especially after Anna K. Being an American beauty in America is not such a big deal.

big ted
11-16-2004, 03:58 PM
This is why i like Jimmy Connors. Love him or hate him, he never made excuses after he lost. case in point - 1985 us open semifinals against lendl - connors lost convincingly in straight sets but was playing with a fractured foot of all things and not only did he have no intentions of quitting the match, he had no intentions of letting anyone know either. things like this make serenas 'i had a headache' excuse sound really really lame to me, mabye shes in the wrong profession. Another player who rarely has a excuse after a loss is AGASSI

lendl is another player who didnt make excuses playing with a bum shoulder in the 88 us open final against wilander and needing surgery afterwards.

voltman
11-16-2004, 08:41 PM

pathetic...
I think Serena took a cue from the greasy hair sporting euro soccer players who pretend someone touched them then roll around on the ground writhing in make believe pain hoping to get a red card or yellow card or gold star or whatever and delay the game until the inevitable dramatic 0-0 tie.

Actually, those are the South American players. The euros only stay down if they're actually hurt.

Tsunami
11-16-2004, 10:45 PM
Actually, those are the South American players. The euros only stay down if they're actually hurt.[/quote]

Really ??? I guess you don't watch much italian football...

Cynnik
11-17-2004, 01:16 AM
True. In fact if my memory is correct, Serena has never been "beaten" she has simply lost beacuase of some injury or other excuse. She needs to grow up.

You would make excuses too if you lost to a 17 year old. :D

Richard Parnell
11-17-2004, 03:17 AM
or Spanish players....

Anonymous
11-17-2004, 04:14 AM
Serena was obviously injured. You don't just reduce your serve 55mph for the fun of it. She still fought hard, and it deserved to be in the press that she was injured b/c obvioulsy, it would've changed the score and possibly the outcome of the match. And, I don't care what anyone says, Roddick was injured when he lost to Federer 6-4,6-0. I don't care who's playing on the other side of the net, no one is going to break a healthy Roddick serve 3 consecutive times. Both were injured, and deserved to let people know. Deal w/ it

Brettolius
11-17-2004, 04:48 AM
well, your not connor roth, so deal w/that.

Brettolius
11-17-2004, 05:19 AM
sorry buddy, but you set yourelf for that kind of stuff. but, after posting that last one, i see that other posters are still giving it to ya too, so i'll lay off cuz i don't want to be one of the insult mongers around here, but hopefully you learned a lesson. peace

baseliner
11-17-2004, 06:40 AM
Serena was hurt, I grant you that but her post match press conference statement of "if I were to rate the pain on a scale of 1 to 10 it was a 10 1/2" was over the top. A strained stomach muscle a 10 1/2? Like she says she is an actress.

pound cat
11-17-2004, 07:18 AM
I know the Rio Grande separates Mexico and the US. But Rio Grand??? Never heard of it.

pound cat
11-17-2004, 07:26 AM
I see, the word Grand with an e at the end is censored on this board. That sure makes a lot of sense. Mucho Grand_ stupido . Pardon my Spanish but we learned French instead.

Dedans Penthouse
11-17-2004, 11:31 AM
I see, the word Grand with an e at the end is censored on this board. That sure makes a lot of sense. Mucho Grand_ stupido . Pardon my Spanish but we learned French instead.

Stupido? I don't know if you're attempting to slam-dunk me or the TW censor. Please advise as to whom, and in the meantime, I'll try to explain my previous post:
Putting the river's name "Rio Grand" in quotes was done since the river's name is often shortened to "Rio Grand" for example, in song, etc., and, as you discovered it was a needed method of getting the river's otherwise innocuous name past (in this case) the censor's "faulty" machete'.

Now to the humor (if THAT was what got your goat): the idea of a "language test" still being REQUIRED for U.S. Naturalization is indeed curious (and humorous) given what is REALITY in my neck of the woods. As to the joke itself; the joke itself involved a simple play on words, i.e. Si' for the letter "C." .... Do you SEE what I mean? Again, it was a play on words or a "jeu de mons" if you will? .....(Pardon MY French but WE learned Spanish).

bigserving
11-17-2004, 12:27 PM
Back to the subject of lame excuses, wasn't Sharapova complaining a few days ago that she had a damaged shoulder from the balls that were being used?

Miraculas recovery!

pound cat
11-17-2004, 01:48 PM
good grief, dedans Penthouse, all I was commenting on was what I perceived to be a spelling error and the censoring of the word grand_. not having used this word before in any post, or seen it in any post, how was I to know that you had prior knowledge that it would be censored and spelled it Grand. Yeah, I know, the old cow hand on the Rio Grand_ Great song. Don't get your tail in a knot, as they say, about a grand _ comment. I think the rain in Houston is making some posters testy.

AndyC
11-17-2004, 02:03 PM

r,
eagle
Maria is not naturalized. She probably will be when she gets older like Martina did. I certainly don't see her retiring to Moscow!

Why any tennis player would want to reside in the US is beyond me.. when u can have tax-haven Monaco. :D

Phil
11-17-2004, 03:46 PM

Must...refrain...from making...comment...about...total lack...of...must...refrain...

voltman
11-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Actually, those are the South American players. The euros only stay down if they're actually hurt.

Really ??? I guess you don't watch much italian football...

You're right. I watch mostly EPL stuff, maybe a little Ligue 1.

BLiND
11-17-2004, 11:39 PM
Its well known about european football being rife with "diving" and "acting"... think they call it "simulating".... Italians probably being the worst offenders. The English football teams have been trying to get to grips with it for years... they still believe in beeing honest, I guess just an inherent trait.... however we've been able to buy good european players on the cheap, who are very adept at it... and we are learning from them :-)

p.s. This is a generalisation

Dedans Penthouse
11-18-2004, 04:34 AM
all I was commenting on was what I perceived to be a spelling error and the censoring of the word grand_. not having used this word before in any post, or seen it in any post, how was I to know that you had prior knowledge that it would be censored and spelled it Grand. Yeah, I know, the old cow hand on the Rio Grand_ Great song. Don't get your tail in a knot, as they say, about a grand _ comment. I think the rain in Houston is making some posters testy.

pound cat: Thanks for your post. Sometimes (in the cold, hard text of the WRITTEN word) I lose the inflection or I sometimes blurs whom the intended "receiver" might've been (i.e. directed at me or the TW-censor) and I mentioned my uncertainty upfront. I didn't want to assume that it was directed at me and asked for clarification--that's all. Hey, I might be having my period--cop me some slack, will ya? :wink: Anyway (sincerely), thanks for setting me straight. And btw, as to being testy??.....I am not!....I am NOT!!...I AM NOT DAMN IT!!!!.........well.......I'm workin' on it

norcal
11-18-2004, 07:04 AM

r,
eagle

Why any tennis player would want to reside in the US is beyond me.. when u can have tax-haven Monaco. :D Good point Andy except to get the great tax advantages of Monaco you have to live in Monaco. Just ask Boris. Apparently it's a great place to visit but no one wants to live there.