PDA

View Full Version : What is the regulation size of a net vertically?

TRiBaL
10-24-2007, 10:14 AM
I know this question has nothing to do with rackets but I was curious to know what the regulation height of the net should be at the middle point?

rvicelli
10-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Net height at the center should be 36.

fuzz nation
10-24-2007, 11:00 AM
It's not so out of place because some folks will measure the net with their racquet - you spot the length of their frame from the ground up on the center strap, usually just by pinching that spot on the strap between your index finger and thumb. Then just rotate the racquet 90 degrees, holding the 9 o'clock edge of the frame against your thumb on the strap, and look through the stringbed for the main that you know should be at 36" and you can easily see if the net is even with it or not. You'll know which string because you figured it out ahead of time with a measuring tape.

Obviously it's different from one frame to another, but it's easier than being a nerd (like me) and keeping a measuring tape in your bag when you need a quick check on the height. Also not the most official method, but it's pretty close and everyone is at least playing over the same net.

VGP
10-24-2007, 11:17 AM
A regulation tennis net is 36" at the center, 42" three feet outside the sidelines. Different for singles and doubles. Hence either placing the net post inside the doubles alley for singles or using singles-sticks.

Measuring the center of the net with the racket length and head width used to be done with wooden rackets because almost all were 27" long and 9" wide (36" total). Now, just do what fuzz nation said.....

OnyxZ28
10-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Anyone remember the "netcheck" Wilson had on the inside of their tennis racquet covers?

TheShaun
10-24-2007, 12:01 PM
if you've got a measuring tape laying around like i did, just throw it in your bag. i've never even used mine.