PDA

View Full Version : MG Extreme or 03 Tour?

dgrave2
10-24-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm still stuck on these two racquets, as I have demoed the 03 Tour for about 2 weeks now and the MG Extreme for only about 4 days. At first I thought it was clear that the O3 Tour was the one for me, but then it's like one day I'd play awesome with the MG Extreme, next would be 03 Tour. I've been hitting on the wall alot, and my friend that has been watching me (who earlier said I should definitely get the O3 Tour) noticed that I've been playing better with the MG Extreme. Do I just go for one and hope for the best, or should I continue to demo before I fork out the money for it? Also the Extreme vs Extreme Pro.. is the only difference is that its a little heavier? couldn't I just add weight on the Extreme?

Has anyone played with either the Prince or Head Racquet?

tennismaster888
10-24-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm still stuck on these two racquets, as I have demoed the 03 Tour for about 2 weeks now and the MG Extreme for only about 4 days. At first I thought it was clear that the O3 Tour was the one for me, but then it's like one day I'd play awesome with the MG Extreme, next would be 03 Tour. I've been hitting on the wall alot, and my friend that has been watching me (who earlier said I should definitely get the O3 Tour) noticed that I've been playing better with the MG Extreme. Do I just go for one and hope for the best, or should I continue to demo before I fork out the money for it? Also the Extreme vs Extreme Pro.. is the only difference is that its a little heavier? couldn't I just add weight on the Extreme?

ive played with the 03 tour but not the head...my advice is to hit somewhere not on a wall for a week and then decide

dgrave2
10-24-2007, 03:13 PM
well I've been doing that too. It alternates each day which racquet I hit better with, but I will say that my backhands are alot better on the MG Extreme... with the O3 Tour they just seem to fly.

tennismaster888
10-24-2007, 03:19 PM
well I've been doing that too. It alternates each day which racquet I hit better with, but I will say that my backhands are alot better on the MG Extreme... with the O3 Tour they just seem to fly.

well can u tell us how the rackets compare on the other strokes?

dgrave2
10-25-2007, 08:42 PM
so i was looking on TW at these two racquets, and they both have for 4.0+ players, but I consider myself a 3.0 right now. Should I pay attention to this?? I mean I think I've hit pretty well with both..

dgrave2
10-25-2007, 08:49 PM
O3 Tour: Backhands flyyyyy out, forehands are pretty solid, very close to the net, fast pace.. serves kinda vary as I'm still developing a good serve, volleys and overheads were good.

MG Extreme: Backhands are great, can easily find the left backline corner with this racquet, forehands are so-so as some spray out while others are really good, serves are decent- kinda similar to the O3 Tour, volleys and overheads were about the same.

sorry this isnt so descriptive but I'm real tired and just forgot that i never replied to that question lol.

Go Tennis
10-26-2007, 03:32 AM
I don't post more than I post because I don't known different english words than I usually have to use, so sorry for my mistakes. Yes, you have to pay attention if you are a 3.0 player. By this level is extremelly important to get very good strokes, if you want to be a good player instead of a club player. You can't loose time thinking how to make the ball "walk" with a player racket. You have to leave your mind build automatic and perfect strokes with footwork all time, baby steps, watching the ball, split-step at the baseline and etc.
With a tweener racquet, the stick will make the ball "walk" for you more easily, so your mind will get more time to build a automatic tennis.

dgrave2
10-26-2007, 06:50 AM
well if thats the case, what kind of racquet should I look for if I need one with low power, yet more fitted for a 3.0-3.5 player?

Go Tennis
10-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Well, if you like very much the MG Extreme, I could say to you to buy this stick. You have to play with the stick you like. But don't forget, in tennis, FIRST you play with the legs and the eyes, then AFTER you play with the hands, for instance.
Go for it, pal.

dgrave2
10-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Blah.. so I've just played an awesome game today with the MG Extreme. It was like anything I hit would stay in lol. These racquets aren't helping me make a decision.. i'm gonna end up buying both of them :lol: I never hear anyone talk about the MG Extreme, is it just not a good racquet for other people??

tennismaster888
10-28-2007, 05:28 PM
Blah.. so I've just played an awesome game today with the MG Extreme. It was like anything I hit would stay in lol. These racquets aren't helping me make a decision.. i'm gonna end up buying both of them :lol: I never hear anyone talk about the MG Extreme, is it just not a good racquet for other people??

it seems like you like the extreme for backhands and 03 for forehands...i suggest u just buy one and grow with it...by the way ur posts sound, it soudns like u like the extreme better but for some reason wont give up the 03...

dgrave2
10-28-2007, 08:29 PM
it seems like you like the extreme for backhands and 03 for forehands...i suggest u just buy one and grow with it...by the way ur posts sound, it soudns like u like the extreme better but for some reason wont give up the 03...

Yea.. yea... the 03 is just more attractive looking than the extreme, but i guess it's not how the racquet looks, but how the game is played, and the extreme is working better for me. My demo with the 03 ended today, and I have the extreme until Tuesday, so I'm going to hit with it again tomorrow, and take it to my lesson on Tuesday, but I'm probably picking the extreme. :grin: btw thanks for your responses!

tennismaster888
10-29-2007, 07:09 AM
Yea.. yea... the 03 is just more attractive looking than the extreme, but i guess it's not how the racquet looks, but how the game is played, and the extreme is working better for me. My demo with the 03 ended today, and I have the extreme until Tuesday, so I'm going to hit with it again tomorrow, and take it to my lesson on Tuesday, but I'm probably picking the extreme. :grin: btw thanks for your responses!

youve got to able to stand the looks of it too....
but id go with the extreme by the way u described it...

Kcraig
10-29-2007, 10:54 AM

The extreme is a great stick and the graphics will grow on you--I have had mine for about a month and I was a die hard Prince guy up until then--Good choice IMO. My problem is I have the Extreme and Extreme Pro and can not make up my mind which one I like better. One is 11.2 and one is 11.8oz--

dgrave2
10-29-2007, 06:45 PM
you know i was wondering what the big difference was between the Extreme and Extreme Pro... if it's just weight I figured I could add some weight if I wanted.. Kcraig what kind of strings/tension did you use on your Extreme?

And just for the record, I bought the Extreme today haha. I pick it up tomorrow right before my lesson. :smile:

tennismaster888
10-29-2007, 07:17 PM
you know i was wondering what the big difference was between the Extreme and Extreme Pro... if it's just weight I figured I could add some weight if I wanted.. Kcraig what kind of strings/tension did you use on your Extreme?

And just for the record, I bought the Extreme today haha. I pick it up tomorrow right before my lesson. :smile:

congrats!!

the regular extreme is 27.25 in whereas the pro is 27...theres prob other diff but thats the only one that stood out to me :D

dgrave2
12-08-2007, 11:39 PM
so uhh.. i think im gonna demo the 03 tour again hahaha. Like tennismaster888 said "for some reason you wont give up the 03" I've been thinking about that racquet ever since I never bought it. Also, I've been having lessons with a pro and he's fixed a lot of areas of my game.. so I'm curious to see how I would hit with it now (especially backhands becuz the poor backhands was my turn off to the O3 Racquet). Would I be crazy for doing that since I've started developing my game behind this Extreme racquet? (which btw I've had the Head racquet now for a month and a half).

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
12-09-2007, 06:31 AM

Never played with a prince frame, but last spring, I switched from the Pure Drive, to the MicroGel Extreme Pro and I am still in love with the racket. I agree completely, that the spin off the racket is pretty accessible to sometimes ridiculous, but I find it really powerful with the right mixture of spin. At first, I did think that it was too powerful, but it took about 4-5 different string set-ups to get it right, but it’s a great racket.

Get the MicroGel Extreme Pro!!!!!!

tennismaster888
12-09-2007, 11:57 AM
so uhh.. i think im gonna demo the 03 tour again hahaha. Like tennismaster888 said "for some reason you wont give up the 03" I've been thinking about that racquet ever since I never bought it. Also, I've been having lessons with a pro and he's fixed a lot of areas of my game.. so I'm curious to see how I would hit with it now (especially backhands becuz the poor backhands was my turn off to the O3 Racquet). Would I be crazy for doing that since I've started developing my game behind this Extreme racquet? (which btw I've had the Head racquet now for a month and a half).

just stick with some version of the extreme and grow with it.
then in a while (like a year or two) think about switching if you really want to

PBODY99
12-09-2007, 12:14 PM
If you feel that you get the O_3 around quicker, it may explain why you have the backhand issue< check with you Pro >.
Good lucK.

big_banger
12-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Honestly dgrave2, there is over 30g difference in the two racket weights. To be honest as a tour player, if you are 3.O or 3.5 and need a control orientated bat, then I dont think you've nailed either. If you want control, but then dont really like a racket too heavy then maybe you ought to try the Babolat Pure Storm in both the mp version and the tour version. The tour version is basically the new version of the Babolat Pure Control. I would also recommend the MG radical if you like the comfort and flexibility and stuff about the other MG. Hope that helps!

dgrave2
12-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Honestly dgrave2, there is over 30g difference in the two racket weights. To be honest as a tour player, if you are 3.O or 3.5 and need a control orientated bat, then I dont think you've nailed either. If you want control, but then dont really like a racket too heavy then maybe you ought to try the Babolat Pure Storm in both the mp version and the tour version. The tour version is basically the new version of the Babolat Pure Control. I would also recommend the MG radical if you like the comfort and flexibility and stuff about the other MG. Hope that helps!

I do like heavier racquets. I need a racquet with very low power for my fast swing.. and almost all of the racquets like that are recommended for 4.0+ players.. the tweener racquets tend to have too much power for me. So I feel like I'm stuck. (besides just dealing with the Extreme).

PED
12-10-2007, 02:19 PM
I would try either the Storm Tour or the MG radical pro. They both almost split the difference between your 2 choices at 11.8 oz strung up. I demoed them both this summer and ended up with the storm tour. It takes awhile to get used to and it hits like neither the extreme or the 03, but it's got great feel,touch and spin and the power is there is you swing hard enough.

I also really like the MG Radical Pro as it was a bit heavier than the regular radical and it is simply amazing from the baseline. I ended up with the tour because it was more stable.

cknobman
12-10-2007, 02:25 PM
stay with the O3 you wont be sorry.

Every single person I know that bought the microgel (radical or extreme) ended up selling them and moving to another kind of racquet.

wao
12-11-2007, 09:01 AM

The difference between the two are weight and the extreme is 27.25 vs. 27.
I bought the extremes and added some weight to the head and butt. Strung mine currently with ALU ACE mains at 54 and NRG crosses at 59.

Kcraig
12-11-2007, 10:02 AM
I had both the MG Ext and MG Ext Pro and demoed the O3 tour MP. Of these, I liked the Extreme Pro the best, but it, as well as the reg Extreme were too stiff and too powerful for me. The O3 MP felt nice and muted, but it was TOO muted for me and the sound during serving and slice backhands drove me crazy---I ended up the Prince Diablo MP and LOVE THEM:twisted: Much better control and feel over the Extreme (both versions) and the O3, but still plenty of pop for me when needed. With the Extremes I would catch way to many "fliers" and would have balls hitting the damn fence, especially when the swing was off, which can be pretty often:-?

IMO--the Extremes and the O3 Tour are very diff sticks--a better comparison is between the O3 Tour and the Diablo, Bab Pure Storm or some other flexier frames below 65. Just my .02. Thanks