PDA

View Full Version : So my current racquet is wearing me out

soggyramen
10-24-2007, 04:59 PM
Right now the pure storm tour is great for an all court player and i love it but the problem right now is that i can't handle the weight over tournament weekends and find my arms tired after one or two matches. this makes it difficult to produce a lot of power, time my shots, and produce racquet head speed. so right now i want to buy (possibly switch if i like it that much) to a racquet with a tad more power, in a slightly lighter package, while still having a good level of control. while i'm working out my upper strength to get the strength to use the PST to it's full potential...this will be my main stick

right now i'm looking at...

prince O3 tour midplus
head microgel extreme
head microgel radical
wilson ntour-two 95

anyone played with these racquets and can compare them and how they perform as well as to my current racquet.

soggyramen
10-24-2007, 06:08 PM
come on guys help a player out

bertrevert
10-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Aha, eternal conundrum: darn-that-12-oz.-feels-nice-but-not-so-nice-when-I'm-being-pushed-in-the-last-set-and-I'm-starting-to-cramp.

Been there, done that, should've learned my lesson by now. ;) Good on you for biting said bullet.

Hey why not the Storm again, but just not the Tour? Much lighter...

But anyway I've clocked only 2 hours on the MG Rad MP and I think I'm going to have mostly good news. You have a control racq and so is this Rad.

What they're doing with racq materials these days is quite astounding. The Rad is light but feels solid. (Man, it's too light though, have added 10 grams and maybe more will be needed...) It's got some flex which plays out in meaning those low balls that'd normally hit the tape - well they go over; that extra ounce of power flexes its muscles in the off-forehand; and there's great comfort in better dwell time.

The feel is back, just didn't realise how dead the LM Rad is.

I want to add, you can work out all you like, but there are some intangibles that seem cannot be influenced by the gym. How soon you rehydrate, how much your tendons can take, your circulation, whether your whole shoulder's floating joint can keep swinging long into the afternoon etc. Gym equipment tends to be for teh big muscle groups we can all see. Better workouts can be had with Pilates or so-called core muscles exercises. Lumbering with a racquet too heavy can also give an injury whcih no amount of gym work can fend off. Just IMHO.

Specifically sore and tired arms I'm unsure about? When a racq is too heavy for me it means sore tendons in the muscle fan across middle of the back from serving.

ANd key to this problem is the racquet weight and SW.

soggyramen
10-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Aha, eternal conundrum: darn-that-12-oz.-feels-nice-but-not-so-nice-when-I'm-being-pushed-in-the-last-set-and-I'm-starting-to-cramp.

Been there, done that, should've learned my lesson by now. ;) Good on you for biting said bullet.

Hey why not the Storm again, but just not the Tour? Much lighter...

But anyway I've clocked only 2 hours on the MG Rad MP and I think I'm going to have mostly good news. You have a control racq and so is this Rad.

What they're doing with racq materials these days is quite astounding. The Rad is light but feels solid. (Man, it's too light though, have added 10 grams and maybe more will be needed...) It's got some flex which plays out in meaning those low balls that'd normally hit the tape - well they go over; that extra ounce of power flexes its muscles in the off-forehand; and there's great comfort in better dwell time.

The feel is back, just didn't realise how dead the LM Rad is.

I want to add, you can work out all you like, but there are some intangibles that seem cannot be influenced by the gym. How soon you rehydrate, how much your tendons can take, your circulation, whether your whole shoulder's floating joint can keep swinging long into the afternoon etc. Gym equipment tends to be for teh big muscle groups we can all see. Better workouts can be had with Pilates or so-called core muscles exercises. Lumbering with a racquet too heavy can also give an injury whcih no amount of gym work can fend off. Just IMHO.

Specifically sore and tired arms I'm unsure about? When a racq is too heavy for me it means sore tendons in the muscle fan across middle of the back from serving.

ANd key to this problem is the racquet weight and SW.

i would try the non tour but i couldn't get it out for a demo...these were the only ones i could get that i was looking at

i really wanted the nblade and the pure storm

bertrevert
10-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Yes the inability to demo is a crusher.

While you'll get to know the specs conducive to to your game I agree that you cannot buy on specs alone, and that the whole may be greater or less than the sum of its parts.

I reckon there's room on these forums for threads on the not-so-hotshot less-than-ego-bursting frames. I mean a ton of time is devoted to the Tours, the MIDs, the more-than 12oz. but more relevant might be the MPs and the lighter Teams etc.

And these racquets are more interesting to me as I play comps all year, but only do 2 tournaments per year.

This thread shows even Pros not much using MIDs anymore:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=153561

bubbatex
10-24-2007, 07:11 PM
I am shopping right now too - one thing I will say is that there is a big difference in the Head MG Rad and MG Extreme in flex - at least for me. I could definitely tell the difference. I have learned that I need to be under 60 for comfort (MG Rad's feel very smooth to me) and yes, I am learning that the weight thing can be a drag. Was trying to go about 12, but it is wearing me out quick!

HeadPrestige
10-24-2007, 07:57 PM
why not try the non tour version of the pure storm?

bagung
10-24-2007, 08:22 PM
try to reduce the SW first before you buy.....
take out the unnecessary weight such as dampener, head tape, leather.
who knows after that, you will find it less demanding

NLBwell
10-24-2007, 09:15 PM
Fix your strokes so your arm doesn't get tired.

The difference in weight is probably less than a shirtsleeve. Do you walk around at the end of the day saying:
"Dang, my arm is tired, if only I didn't have to wear this heavy shirtsleeve all day!"

Disclaimer: I am not saying that a lighter racket might not be best for you, only that your arm is tired because you are doing something wrong - probably just slightly because it takes an hour or two to feel it.

Anton
10-24-2007, 09:52 PM
This one is easy:

head microgel radical

Prince blackport is also a very nice frame for those wanting a player's racket that is easy to play with.

The great part is that you can always add a little more weight if it feels too light.

RoddickistheMan
10-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Try the non tour version, dunlop aerogel 300 and the aeropro drive cortex. Wont be disappointed.
________
Iolite Vaporizer Review (http://iolitevaporizer.net/)

bertrevert
10-24-2007, 11:43 PM
Try the non tour version, dunlop aerogel 300 and the aeropro drive cortex. Wont be disappointed.

Ai vay, are you saying the non-tour bab PS version is like a AG 300G?

I think you mean the specs are just close, correct?

Nevertheless, I'd have hoped the Bab Pure Storm was better than that??? :confused:

bubbatex
10-25-2007, 08:04 AM
This one is easy:

Prince blackport is also a very nice frame for those wanting a player's racket that is easy to play with.

The great part is that you can always add a little more weight if it feels too light.

I have actually read a lot of mixed reviews on this board about the Black - some love it, but it also seemed to cause others arm problems.

As for your MG Rad - I am demoing an OS right now, but I am thinking the Mid might be a little better. Where did you add weight? If I go with either MG Rad I want to add a little weight. The Rad Pro feels nice but it is too stiff for me. And the Becker 11 at 12+ is way too heavy (so far). I am thinking I will get a MG Rad and gradually add weight.

fuzz nation
10-25-2007, 09:31 AM
I think it's smart to have the more familiar grip in your hand if you intend to split the court duties between a heavier and lighter frame. Get the non-tour version of your Storm, touch it up with a little lead if you need to, and only use it when your arm is tired. It can take several months to improve your timing and accomodate a heavier racquet, but it can also stretch your potential as a player.

Keep after the weights, but also be aware of the improvements you need to make in your movement - yes, the dreaded issue of footwork. A lot of what you learn in the near future will hopefully help you get to the hitting zone more quickly so that you're set up in time to take a nice comfortable swing with any racquet. Heavier frames just don't let us get away with being late to the ball and I think that if you develop your movement and timing, you won't see as much of a tired arm after a long day as you'll see some tired legs.

mileslong
10-25-2007, 11:26 AM
i use the PST and i never tire out from using it, i think it has a very manageable swing weight and as someone mentioned above. i think some lifting and a little improvement in mechanics will allow you use it for 3 sets without tiring out. i just don't think any guy should get tired out from a racket less than 12 ounces. i used a 14 ounce wooden racket as an 8 year old. so unless you have arthritis problems i would stick with it and just build up your strength. if you move to a 10 ounce racket you will never build that muscle endurance to play with the PST.

i recommend, start lifting weights, work on improved mechanics and stick with the PST. you are probably wearing yourself out with your serve motion or an exaggerated topspin motion on your forehand. that is the culprit for most people i see. also just an increase in overall aerobic fitness would be huge as well. i just don't believe in using 10 ounce rackets just because you get tired in the 3rd set. believe me, you may not get as tired with the lighter rackets but your play won't be as good in the first 2 sets so which is better?

for now, until you get your fitness up, just blow your opponents away in the first 2 sets then you don't have to worry about it :)

JackSkellington
10-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Or instead of switching rackets, lift some weights? Fitness always helps :)

RoddickistheMan
10-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Ai vay, are you saying the non-tour bab PS version is like a AG 300G?

I think you mean the specs are just close, correct?

Nevertheless, I'd have hoped the Bab Pure Storm was better than that??? :confused:

I meant try the pure storm non tour and a aerogel 300 or even a aeropro drive cortex.
________
Alaska Medical Marijuana Dispensary (http://alaska.dispensaries.org/)

samster
10-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Few options:

1) You can pull out a lighter frame when your arm is tired.

One day I was using the Redondo but was tired and was getting beat by my opponent pretty badly. After losing the 1st set 0-6; I pulled out the Pure Storm Team and ended up winning the next two sets, 6-0, 7-5.

2) Or you can switch to a frame with lower swing weight.

3) Or start working out and get stronger.

Anton
10-25-2007, 09:15 PM
I have actually read a lot of mixed reviews on this board about the Black - some love it, but it also seemed to cause others arm problems.

As for your MG Rad - I am demoing an OS right now, but I am thinking the Mid might be a little better. Where did you add weight? If I go with either MG Rad I want to add a little weight. The Rad Pro feels nice but it is too stiff for me. And the Becker 11 at 12+ is way too heavy (so far). I am thinking I will get a MG Rad and gradually add weight.

Yea Mg Rad is taking in the extra weight very nicely.

I have mine in 4 1/2 size with Gamma leather grip on it topped off with double overgrip (Prince microtec white) - second one laid perfectly on top of first making for nice grooves to hug the fingers - this adds about 11-12grams total over stock and makes for unbelievably comfortable yet solid grip.

From there I have added 2 x 4" strips (.25" width) inside the Y beam and 4 x 6" strips on the 3 and 9. (actually it is 4" and 2" pieces on top of that centered on 3 and 9).

I still think I need just a bit more weight in the top of the loop, the swing is still just a tad light and I find myself over-swinging slightly.

I probably should start a thread on mg rad customizing with pics galore.

bluegrasser
10-26-2007, 04:51 AM
Right now the pure storm tour is great for an all court player and i love it but the problem right now is that i can't handle the weight over tournament weekends and find my arms tired after one or two matches. this makes it difficult to produce a lot of power, time my shots, and produce racquet head speed. so right now i want to buy (possibly switch if i like it that much) to a racquet with a tad more power, in a slightly lighter package, while still having a good level of control. while i'm working out my upper strength to get the strength to use the PST to it's full potential...this will be my main stick

right now i'm looking at...

prince O3 tour midplus
head microgel extreme
head microgel radical
wilson ntour-two 95

anyone played with these racquets and can compare them and how they perform as well as to my current racquet.

The mg rad would be my choice as the weight is lighter with a players feel/control.

HyperHorse
11-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Instead of blaming the racquet, why not take the grip off and stick on a few long strips of lead tape on the handle, to make it more headlight, thereby lowering the swingweight?

Anton
11-26-2007, 09:41 PM
Instead of blaming the racquet, why not take the grip off and stick on a few long strips of lead tape on the handle, to make it more headlight, thereby lowering the swingweight?

Swing weight cannot lowered by adding weight - same way it cannot be increased by taking weight off ;)

HyperHorse
11-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Swing weight cannot lowered by adding weight - same way it cannot be increased by taking weight off ;)

Why comment since you OBVIOUSLY have no idea what it's like to swing a head LIGHT racquet vs swinging a head HEAVY racquet...

vndesu
11-26-2007, 11:27 PM
maybe trying out a dunlop 200g mw

i have 1 and it is very good with control and power.
it is also flexible and isnt stiff.
right now the strings are loose but mayb give it a try?
i also would try the mfil 200 16x19

pow
11-26-2007, 11:46 PM
If you like it, stick with it and you'll become used to it eventually. I felt like this for a few weeks when I first got the Redondo, I wouldn't change the weight for a thing now.

tzinc
11-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Try an APDC they're pretty light and powerful.

0d1n
11-27-2007, 01:33 AM

What a load of cr4p.

Why comment since you OBVIOUSLY have no idea what it's like to swing a head LIGHT racquet vs swinging a head HEAVY racquet...

Why comment if YOU OBVIOUSLY have no idea what you are talking about. I always find that people who don't have the knowledge...compensate for lack of knowledge with being aggressive. You are one of "them"...grow up.

Anton
11-27-2007, 04:57 AM

Of the same weight?

Final_Match_Point
11-27-2007, 05:16 AM
Hyper Horse, your idiocy surprises even the most jaded browsers.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=13325&highlight=reducing+swingweight

Read, swingweight cannot be decreased by adding weight. Balance point can.

Feel the shame.

herosol
11-27-2007, 04:53 PM
lifting would save you money. plus tone yourself out anyways

soggyramen
11-27-2007, 05:32 PM
kill this thread i've already chosen my racquet and done a review on it