PDA

View Full Version : How do you hit a kick serve?

chuckmckool
10-24-2007, 08:33 PM
I'm pretty new to the game, I can kind of hit a kick serve, and occasionally it is good. Trying to make it consistent.

10s talk
10-24-2007, 08:42 PM
hit up on the ball, and move your contact point back.

nousername
10-24-2007, 09:39 PM
yes, try to hit up on it.

you can imagine you are trying to "chop" it from underneath like with an axe, while doing so, try to "brush" up the back of the ball. you should lead with the edge of the racquet, but you still should be reaching high for full extension. try to make first contact at the very back of the ball, and as you are hitting it pronate your wrist and try to rotate the racquet face up and over the ball. the ball should be almost straight overhead, but slightly into the court.

In D Zone
10-24-2007, 10:04 PM
here is a video clip

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nNvD7-KbcEA

CAM178
10-24-2007, 10:12 PM
I'll tell you what I was told when I asked about this serve as a junior: don't do this serve until your shoulder and back are ready for it. It is a surefire way to tear muscles, and destroy the joint.

It will come in time. Strengthen your shoulder and back by practicing regular serves and overheads. Master a normal serve first, and then move to the kick serve. My opinion is that nobody below a 3.5 should even consider a kick serve. Nobody should start to work on that seriously until at least the 4.0 level.

desilvam
10-24-2007, 11:15 PM
I am with Cam178 on this.. Stay away from a kick / american twist serve unless you want to be a pro, or play at the college level.

Kick serve is very tough on the back and shoulders.

For now, keep your serve simple and smooth. When your overall game reaches the 4.0-4.5 level, then you will be ready to use it more often.

sapient007
10-25-2007, 07:51 AM
what gets me is federer's kick serve. he doesn't use a different toss nor does his swing path/ swing motion look all that different but the results are night and day from flat to kick.. how does the man do it...

lkdog
10-25-2007, 07:56 AM
Sorry, double post.

lkdog
10-25-2007, 07:57 AM
There are a lot of threads on the kick serve on this forum.
If you do a search you will get a lot of info.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/search.php?searchid=1136523

Good luck.

In D Zone
10-25-2007, 08:43 AM
what gets me is federer's kick serve. he doesn't use a different toss nor does his swing path/ swing motion look all that different but the results are night and day from flat to kick.. how does the man do it...

There is a very slight difference in the angle where the ball comes down. Flat serve: ball comes down in front \ away from his body. Kick serve: ball comes down straight to his body

10s talk
10-25-2007, 08:44 AM
I am with Cam178 on this.. Stay away from a kick / american twist serve unless you want to be a pro, or play at the college level.

For now, keep your serve simple and smooth. When your overall game reaches the 4.0-4.5 level, then you will be ready to use it more often.

true, I have a rotator cuff problem from it.

tbini87
10-25-2007, 08:50 AM
toss a little further back than usual. hit up on the ball imparting topspin. take it slow and don't force it. it will come with time.

sharpy
10-25-2007, 11:14 AM

^ a kick serve is what will jump you from 3.5 to 4.0 or 4.5...

the only reason why kick serve hurts backs and shoulders is because you think about tossing behind your head, and arching your back back on purpose.

JCo872
10-26-2007, 06:07 AM
I'm pretty new to the game, I can kind of hit a kick serve, and occasionally it is good. Trying to make it consistent.

Check this out!
http://www.hi-techtennis.com/serve/develop_kicker.php

Dashbarr
10-26-2007, 07:14 AM
I'm a junior (14) and I've spent much time on my kick serve. At the start, I had a bit of back pain coming from bad form. But I've fixed that and now have a crazy kick serve. No pains for over a year. I think if you can master good technique, you could use it to improve your game immensely. The biggest thing I've noticed from kick serves is that even if you have the stroke, if your toss isn't a little back in the right spot, the serve doesn't even come close to having the same effect. Make sure your toss is in the right place every time.

drgnpride
10-26-2007, 08:18 AM
what a refreshing thread, this topic has never been addressed on tw forums

NamRanger
10-26-2007, 08:21 AM

He uses the same toss for both the kick and flat serve, his angle of approach is slightly different though (meaning is timing is slightly different also on when he swings).

r2473
10-26-2007, 11:28 AM
I use my foot.

furyballs
10-26-2007, 12:13 PM
I use my foot.

:D LMAO........ very good

vince916
11-03-2007, 07:38 PM
I think if you're new to the game your toss willl make or break your serve.

downdaline
11-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Please dont try to overdo ur kick serve at this point. It's can be a hazardous serve without proper coaching and technique. I dislocated my shoulder from trying one in my junior days - not pretty.

^^^ Yes, practice ur toss to the point of perfection. Just dont go for the big kicker just yet. Take care.