PDA

View Full Version : How Far??

Frodo Baggins
11-16-2004, 10:58 AM
I Don't know Bout you guys?But I just saw something weird today on espn :shock: I don't know What Trophy Ceramony it was?But I saw Roger Fed Getting the Number 1 Trophy?An what I saw wasn't Last years ceramony either.it was this years.The trophy had the Number 1 on it an it was roger with the new haircut. Hope you can tell me what I saw?It was before the moya-hewitt Match.Did I see what I thought I saw??? or am I losing my mind???An Roger said I'm happy to be the Number 1. What did I see???

VashTheStampede
11-16-2004, 11:05 AM
Roger qualified for the year-end number one spot long ago, so I guess they're giving it to him now. Nope, your not hallucinating. :D

Datacipher
11-17-2004, 03:28 PM
I also cut into the broadcast right at the end of that and saw Roger holding the trophy. I thought "hmm....I guess we don't even need to play the tennis now...they just save everyone the work and effort and give him the trophy at the beginning!"

Fee
11-17-2004, 04:14 PM
Yes, that was Roger receiving the trophy for the year end Number One in the Champions Race/Entry System. Search your memories, they did the same thing to Andy last year. When he had mathematically clinched the spot he was given the trophy (which turned out to be after he had lost his match to Schuettler so he was kind of bummed about that).

Noelle
11-18-2004, 09:01 AM
Roger will be number one for most of next year (at least, until Wimbledon) because he's so far ahead points-wise.

rhubarb
11-18-2004, 09:14 AM
Actually, it's still (theoretically) possible that he could lose it in Melbourne. At the start of the Australian Open, he needs a lead of at least:

1850 points over Hewitt
After last night's match, Roger has a 1950 lead over Lleyton even if Hewitt wins the TMC. Hewitt also has points from Sydney to defend.

1750 over Roddick
The miniumum gap after Houston is 1680, so Fed can clinch this with one more win (or a loss by Andy). Either could add points prior to the AO in optionals.

1300 over Safin
Even if Marat wins the TMC unbeaten, the gap would still be 2175.

Nobody else is in striking range right now.