PDA

View Full Version : Why is the PM disabled?

Bundey
10-25-2007, 10:38 AM
^^^ title :confused:

TW Staff
10-25-2007, 10:46 AM
It's our policy.

Spencer, TW.

nousername
10-25-2007, 01:44 PM
It's our policy.

Spencer, TW.
ok??? ... why is it in your policy?

i've been wondering the same thing.

tennismaster888
10-25-2007, 02:48 PM
sry if im dumb but whats pm?

mrw
10-25-2007, 03:53 PM
Private Messaging. On other boards that I frequent, you can click on the poster's name and in the drop down box select PM. this allows you to shoot a private non posted message to that person. It is really a nice , easy way to continue a conversation, negotiate a purchase etc.

The folks here seem a bit anal in all aspects of this board hence, no PM's.

tennismaster888
10-25-2007, 03:56 PM
Private Messaging. On other boards that I frequent, you can click on the poster's name and in the drop down box select PM. this allows you to shoot a private non posted message to that person. It is really a nice , easy way to continue a conversation, negotiate a purchase etc.

The folks here seem a bit anal in all aspects of this board hence, no PM's.

thanks haha im just a bit slow ;)

CanadianChic
10-26-2007, 04:02 AM
It's our policy.

Spencer, TW.

Ahh, you make me laugh. Thanks Spencer! :-D

Fee
10-26-2007, 10:21 AM
In place of PM, you can allow yourself to receive emails through the forum. That's a personal choice and I have received those emails and not replied because I did not want to disclose my email to whomever it was. PM's can be a handy thing, but they can also be used as a tool for some pretty intense harrassment (as I've seen elsewhere), so I can understand TW's decision to disable them.

If you don't want to disclose your personal email address, perhaps sign up for one at tennis.com to use just for this forum. I might do that. :)

hjminard
10-26-2007, 11:02 AM
I'm guessing that TW is concerned that PM's would be utilized as a sales tool by competitors.

nousername
10-26-2007, 01:17 PM
In place of PM, you can allow yourself to receive emails through the forum. That's a personal choice and I have received those emails and not replied because I did not want to disclose my email to whomever it was. PM's can be a handy thing, but they can also be used as a tool for some pretty intense harrassment (as I've seen elsewhere), so I can understand TW's decision to disable them.

If you don't want to disclose your personal email address, perhaps sign up for one at tennis.com to use just for this forum. I might do that. :)
come on... anyone can deal with "harassment" via online media... it's called "delete message".

i sure hope TW can think of a better excuse than that for disabling PM.

TW Staff
10-26-2007, 01:32 PM
At Talk Tennis we prefer to keep all communication out in the open so have disabled the PM function.

If you wish to take communication off the boards you may do so via email or by using an instant messaging service.

Chris, TW.

CanadianChic
10-26-2007, 01:36 PM
come on... anyone can deal with "harassment" via online media... it's called "delete message".

i sure hope TW can think of a better excuse than that for disabling PM.

Or, it's called "thanks TW for not allowing the stalker weirdos to contact me". I can think of no better reason for disabling the feature and tend to question the motives of those who "push" the issue.

nousername
10-26-2007, 05:58 PM
At Talk Tennis we prefer to keep all communication out in the open so have disabled the PM function.

If you wish to take communication off the boards you may do so via email or by using an instant messaging service.

Chris, TW.
obviously, diabling PM means "open communication"... that why its called Priavte Message.

we are all still wondering why you want "keep all communication out in the open". i've never been to a board without it.

nousername
10-26-2007, 06:09 PM
Or, it's called "thanks TW for not allowing the stalker weirdos to contact me". I can think of no better reason for disabling the feature and tend to question the motives of those who "push" the issue.
what do you think my motives are?

- telling jokes about some of the other weirdo members
- asking other weirdo member questions that may otherwise be embarrassing.
- trying to land deals that steal TW business.

those are just a few of the motives for wanting PM that i can think of ... there might be others...

good enough? ... also, if you don't want stalker weirdos then don't give em' bait... based on your sig, you like attention.

nousername
10-26-2007, 06:35 PM
for those wondering, this is the real reason why PM is disabled:

TW For Sale/For Trade Policy (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=150)

now, that wasn't too hard ... i am happy now. =)

CanadianChic
10-26-2007, 06:47 PM
what do you think my motives are?

- telling jokes about some of the other weirdo members
- asking other weirdo member questions that may otherwise be embarrassing.
- trying to land deals that steal TW business.

those are just a few of the motives for wanting PM that i can think of ... there might be others...

good enough? ... also, if you don't want stalker weirdos then don't give em' bait... based on your sig, you like attention.

Nive try troll. Attempting to insult me won't win you any favours and only goes to show that some members are too immature to be given that function. Just because you want to reach out and communicate with someone, doesn't mean they wish to hear from you. Maybe you should go play in the forums which allow PM's because this one simply doesn't, and whining about it and demanding "answers" won't get the admin to open the function. Try the e-mail function, and if the user has it disabled then move along.

nousername
10-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Nive try troll. Attempting to insult me won't win you any favours and only goes to show that some members are too immature to be given that function. Just because you want to reach out and communicate with someone, doesn't mean they wish to hear from you. Maybe you should go play in the forums which allow PM's because this one simply doesn't, and whining about it and demanding "answers" won't get the admin to open the function. Try the e-mail function, and if the user has it disabled then move along.
i never asked them to turn it on, just looking for a straight answer. it was a very peculiar thing to see it disabled... then then all the beat-around-the-bush answers from tw made it even more odd... give us a little slack, your highness.