PDA

View Full Version : Overheads, Overheads, Overheads!

Tempyst
10-25-2007, 12:46 PM
What should be the form when you're about to hit an overhead?

Lionheart
10-25-2007, 12:49 PM
you should follow the ball with your non dominant arm poiting at the ball, many people underestimate foot work on this stroke but it´s very important, move a lot so when your about to hit the ball you´re balanced

WildVolley
10-25-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm a fan of pointing at the ball with the off hand, you should essentially be in classic trophy pose you see on the serve. Back up quickly, and start with an easy swing. Use the continental grip and easily pronate through the shot.

Once you get a feel for the timing, you can start ripping them. Keep the swing shorter and more compact than a serve.

paulfreda
10-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Get the line between your shoulders pointing perpendicular to the net.
That is dont forget to turn sideways.
And think hitting up at the ball.

LuckyR
10-25-2007, 01:35 PM
Anyone who can serve can hit an overhead. the key isn't the stroke, it is getting yourself in correct position relative to the ball path. Most problems are not getting behind the ball enough and having the ball play the player instead of the other way around.

krz
10-25-2007, 01:42 PM
timing is the most difficult thing with the stroke. That in mind key is eye on the ball and keep that off hand pointing at the ball.

Trinity TC
10-25-2007, 02:12 PM
...and improper footwork can really mess up the timing.

arman91
10-25-2007, 02:21 PM
you should follow the ball with your non dominant arm poiting at the ball, many people underestimate foot work on this stroke but it´s very important, move a lot so when your about to hit the ball you´re balanced

thanks a lot man, i've been working on my overheads for a very long time. i'll try that the next time i get on the courts

timeisonmyside
10-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Simplify your stroke to minimize the room for error. An overhead is really a lot simpler than a serve. Move into position with your racquet arm already cocked and ready to swing. That way, when the ball comes, you just swing at it.

By contrast, I see a lot of people have their racquet down while moving into position. So when they actually want to hit it, they have to bring the racquet up into position and then stroke. This is harder to time and increases your room for error.

The Watchman
10-25-2007, 10:29 PM
I find it helpful to not only point at the ball with the non-racquet hand, but to be in a position to actually catch the ball with it.

A good drill is to use a wall - hit the overhead just in front of the wall, and it'll come back as a nice high lob for another overhead.

Ross K
10-25-2007, 11:02 PM
If, frustratingly, you're often sending the ball into the net, what are you doing wrong exactly? And how is this properly corrected?

Leoboomanu
10-26-2007, 12:19 AM
You are probably farther than you're supposed to be...
This usually happens with topspin lobs, where the ball is dipping faster...

So another key to overheads, recognize the type of shot by the opponent...

I don't usually smash away at topspin lobs, i just wait a little longer and place it neatly...

Slazenger
10-26-2007, 12:49 AM
If, frustratingly, you're often sending the ball into the net, what are you doing wrong exactly? And how is this properly corrected?

It could be a few things. Can't really say specifically what it is unless I watch you, but

- You could be contacting the ball too far in front. Contact point is a huge issue for overheads because, unlike a serve, you do not control the toss so you have to get yourself into optimal position. You want to contact the ball just a bit in front of you.

- You could be hitting down on your overhead. Now there are times you want to spike your overhead. When you are contacting the ball well inside the service box, the play is to spike the overhead with angle rather than drive it deep. You can hit down here because of your proximity to the net, but at the service line and back, you want to drive the overhead.

ALways place your overheads. It subconsciously helps you hit through your overhead to your target.

furyballs
10-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Make sure you move to a continental grip and keep your racquet up.

ROFLingpanda
10-26-2007, 04:53 PM
i have trouble overheading too, but this is what i learned: get into position as quickly as possible, dont face completely forward, and keep moving your feet in case you misjudged the ball as i often do if i get lobbed. also dont try to smash it. aim it into a corner, and just hit relatively fast because if your opponent is at the center as they should be, it's harder to judge which direction they think youll hit in so they'll react slower and miss
but then i'm really short so unless im right up at the net doing an overhead, i have a higher chance of hitting the net if i mess up an overhead so on a different note you can smash try to smash it harder if you're tall
also i'm a girl and many girls are not too fast / athletic whether they are into a sport or not (no offense to other girls out there)