PDA

View Full Version : YONEX RQiS1 The best racquet ever?

akwila
10-25-2007, 12:47 PM
What do you think?

sharp*shooter
10-25-2007, 01:09 PM
I want what you're smoking.

Klatu Verata Necktie
10-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Yes it is. It is the best racquet ever made.

hjminard
10-25-2007, 01:39 PM
I can't imagine why anyone would even consider another racquet.

sargeinaz
10-25-2007, 01:45 PM
I heard Federer/Safin/Agassi/Sampras all use the RQiS 1 with paint jobs.
________
Marijuana Hemp (http://marijuanahemp.com)

Klatu Verata Necktie
10-25-2007, 01:47 PM
akwila,

We're just messing with you ;)

In reality, there is no "best racquet ever". Whatever works best for you is the "best racquet ever" for you. If you play with the RQis 1 and fall in love with it, buy it and don't look back!

drakulie
10-25-2007, 01:51 PM
I woulnd't say it's the best racquet ever, but definitely top two.

BreakPoint
10-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Yes, all the other racquet companies should just give up and shut down now because the RQiS1 will have 100% of the tennis racquet market by next week. Within a month, all you will see on every single tennis court on the entire planet are people using only the RQiS1 and nothing else. Thus, it must be the "best racquet ever". ;) LOL :lol:

Syfo-Dias
10-25-2007, 02:53 PM
What do you guys think about the uneven beam width around the hoop?

autumn_leaf
10-25-2007, 03:12 PM

top 2? that's blasphemy. i say we should all flame drak now.

KOtennis
10-25-2007, 09:10 PM
i'd pick the RD-7 over RQis1 anyday.

akwila
10-26-2007, 12:00 AM
We found the holy grail! It was in japan!

KFwinds
10-26-2007, 01:10 AM
Hmmm let me think... NO

Wait a minute... ummm...NO

Fedace
10-26-2007, 03:42 AM
What do you think?

It is best ever made by Yonex but not so sure about in general. There are other good rackets too like Ncodes, Aeropro drive cortex.

harleywilson
10-26-2007, 05:09 AM
I hit Yonex and have hit with the RQIS-1. In my opinion, it is not the best racquet ever and is not even my favorite Yonex. That honor goes to the MP Tour-1 mid right now. Too much power for me.

akwila
10-26-2007, 08:35 AM
More stiffness in the throat, less in the head. This is the revolution in racquets!

gerikoh
10-26-2007, 09:25 AM
i like to give it a try. but at the moment, nothing is comparable with my current racquet. well at least to me

goosala
10-26-2007, 12:55 PM
RQiS > Pro Staff St. Vincent

I just love to commit blasphemy! :)

tarie
10-26-2007, 01:36 PM
I had it for some days and I didn't like it.I tried it strung at first with P2 red 1.30 @25kg and then with Tecnifibre Tournament Biphase @26kg.
With P2 I felt too much power..don't know why,with TFTB it was better but didn't like the same.
The problem was the big beam around the hoop..I felt it strange,difficult to accelarate,difficult(stange) to swing..
Overall maybe it's a good frame,but not the best sure.

stevewcosta
10-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Not even top-10 Yonex racquets ever made. I would say around #18 or #20.

akwila
10-26-2007, 01:44 PM
But this is the most maneuvrable and forgiving 95 sq in history!

tarie
10-26-2007, 02:17 PM
But this is the most maneuvrable and forgiving 95 sq in history!

I don't understand where you see this maneuvrability...I would say that is one of the cons of this racquet!

HeadPrestige
10-26-2007, 02:51 PM
i understand that you are excited about your racket... but is this thread a joke?

Ronaldo
10-26-2007, 03:08 PM
More stiffness in the throat, less in the head. This is the revolution in racquets!

My Dunlop Maxply had that set-up,
I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around me
Pick up my Prestige and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again

Leutonio
10-26-2007, 03:46 PM
I don't understand where you see this maneuvrability...I would say that is one of the cons of this racquet!

Bellissimo vedere Tarie e Akwila entrambi ITALIANI, dialogare in inglese...:-D

Translate for the community:

It's very funny to see Tarie and Akwila writing in English because they are both two from Italy...and me too! LOL!

tarie
10-26-2007, 04:31 PM

It's very funny to see Tarie and Akwila writing in English because they are both two from Italy...and me too! LOL!

:D Non lo sapevo! (I didn't know that!)

@akwila:non sapevo fossi italiano!cmq la mia sensazione con la rqis stata quella di non riuscire a muovere la racchetta come volevo io,forse era solo questione di abitudine ma proprio non ci riuscivo.Per il resto bella,un filo troppo potente ma ok.

tbini87
10-26-2007, 05:26 PM
hahaha. best ever. for sure.

hjminard
10-26-2007, 05:33 PM
i understand that you are excited about your racket... but is this thread a joke?

I'd say it's a "please validate my choice" thread ...

Nandrzej
10-27-2007, 05:06 AM
What do you think?

I hit with it and really liked it. It did most things well and some superbly. For instance the depth control was great. I felt it was really easy to punch a ball right to the base line or drop it over the net reliably.

It did have what I would call a weird feel, nothing cumbersome. I was hoping it would feel more like the RDS001, which IMHO has the greatest hitting feel I have found but its different, softer, more thwack than pop when the ball comes off the strings.

It also has more vibes/something coming into my wrist and after each hit with it my wrist was sore. Not sure if it just a new/different racquet but other racquts have not done that before. My main hit is a leathered Volkl DNX10 Mid :D

So greatest of all time, not for me, I am still hunting for a different racquet. If you think it is then for you I guess it is.

cheers, Nick

tarie
10-27-2007, 05:11 AM
Ah,for me there were also too much vibrations!
It needed a dampener otherwise absolutely..

tarie
10-27-2007, 05:13 AM
It needed a dampener absolutely!Couldn't play without..
edit :)

netman
10-27-2007, 06:08 AM
YONEX RQiS1 The best racquet ever?

I suspect you will feel this way until the next Yonex Rxxxx comes out, right? :)

akwila
10-27-2007, 08:00 AM
And so, Nick, what are you looking for?

0d1n
10-27-2007, 09:29 AM

You're lying to us ... your translation is inexact :)

tarie
10-27-2007, 09:42 AM
You're lying to us ... your translation is inexact :)

I can assure it is right!:D

sureshs
10-27-2007, 10:00 AM
It also has more vibes/something coming into my wrist and after each hit with it my wrist was sore. Not sure if it just a new/different racquet but other racquts have not done that before. My main hit is a leathered Volkl DNX10 Mid :D

So greatest of all time, not for me, I am still hunting for a different racquet. If you think it is then for you I guess it is.

cheers, Nick

It needed a dampener otherwise absolutely..

If this is true, the TW playtesters did not get the comfort part of their review right. This is a serious issue in a racquet made by a company supposedly known for its comfort designs.

I was seriously thinking of looking at this stick, but these comments have put me off.

tarie
10-27-2007, 10:12 AM
If this is true, the TW playtesters did not get the comfort part of their review right. This is a serious issue in a racquet made by a company supposedly known for its comfort designs.

I was seriously thinking of looking at this stick, but these comments have put me off.

If you want I think you should try it;maybe it was just my frame but without dampener i remember it was very uncomfortable to play with.

robkat
10-27-2007, 11:32 AM

I just played three sets of doubles this morning playing with the RQiS tour-1. It was a Demo from TW strung with Yonex 850. I assume it was strung at 62# which is 2lbs over mid. I was the first to use this demo frame since I had to take off the plasticc and remove the damper packaging from the frame. I would assume the tension was/is close to 62. I thought it played very comfortable with little to no vibration. I did not use a damper. I think this frame would play better at a lower tension. Maybe the above poster(s) tension was on the high end of the range.

robkat
10-27-2007, 11:34 AM
I just played three sets of doubles this morning playing with the RQiS tour-1. It was a Demo from TW strung with Yonex 850. I assume it was strung at 62# which is 2lbs over mid. I was the first to use this demo frame since I had to take off the plasticc and remove the damper packaging from the frame. I would assume the tension was/is close to 62. I thought it played very comfortable with little to no vibration. I did not use a damper. I think this frame would play better at a lower tension. Maybe the above poster(s) tension was on the high end of the range.

After two hours of playing on damp clay, this morning and hitting heavy balls, I feel no soreness in my wrist. I have a tender shoulder and my shoulder feels fine as well

0d1n
10-27-2007, 01:07 PM
I can assure it is right!:D

I speak Italian, it is NOT ! :p I'm joking, I know he didn't intend to do a "word for word" translation (I can speak and read pretty well, my writing is a bit rusty ...but anyway ;) ).
With regards to the comfort, I don't really buy it that a vibration dampener would change the "comfort level" of a racket, IMO it just changes the "feel" (a bit) and the sound (a lot).
I prefer my MSpeeds with small vib dampeners or rubber bands (thin ones). My fav. vibration dampener is the Fisher one Baghdatis is using (also used by Stich back in the day ...) ... I only have one left unfortunately :| (similar to a rubber band concept).
The new ones sold with the Magnetic series are OK, but their performance drops rather quickly (i.e their effectiveness is short lived).

rtparker
10-27-2007, 07:53 PM
I'm a 5.0 player and I play tested *alot* of the racquets currently on the market today in the search for a set of sticks. I was looking for a less powerful racquet, something between a full player's racquet and a tweener (closer to a player's racquet but with a bit more pop). For my style of play (I generally take pretty big cuts at the ball), it's great. It's my first Yonex, so I find it very comfortable (moreso than my Head racquets I use). It still has a bit too much power for me, so I'm probably going to have to switch to a poly hybrid setup (right now I have combinations of Gut, Livewire Pro and Biphase all at +-60lbs).

I would say that the cons so far have been stability, an off-center shot has produced slightly less than ideal stability. But it's certainly my favorite racquet right now, and comfort wise it's excellent. Very smooth stick. I haven't had to put a vibration dampener in it and my tennis elbow has stayed in check.

Nandrzej
10-28-2007, 02:14 AM
And so, Nick, what are you looking for?

I am looking for a bit more power than my DNX 10 Mid and/or a slightly lower swingweight. Playing in the dry is ok but where I live it often drizzles, and you are playing with a wetter, heavier ball. This means the Volkl is a tough doubles racquet towards the end of play.

I hit with a Head Flexpoint Prestige Mid today and it fit the bill pretty well, slightly lower swingweight, less power though, I had fun with it.

cheers, Nick

Nandrzej
10-28-2007, 02:20 AM

I think you should still try the stick. Our comments are just that, comments. For you this might be the find of the decade and you will only know if you try it.

There are other posters who have had what sounds like great sucess with the RQiS, you don't want to pass that change up if hitting with a demo is easy for you. Only you can be the judge.

cheers, Nick

Nandrzej
10-28-2007, 02:30 AM
Maybe the above poster(s) tension was on the high end of the range.

Good call. I don't know what the tension was and neither did the dealer as it had come strung from Yonex. It was a demo that was doing the rounds, see below.

I thought it had a lower tension than my Volkl and that is strung at 55lb. This could be because the string could have been on its last legs, they were worn and looked really tired. FYI the string was Yonex and had 850 written on it, I can't remember it it had a "P" on the end of the 850.

cheers, Nick

this is it
10-28-2007, 02:34 AM
why would you want that its an absolute pig to hit with!

akwila
10-28-2007, 02:43 AM
So, if this stick is good or not, depends from the strings?

nikosrf
10-28-2007, 02:43 AM
I hit for a half an hour with RQis with Luxilon at 22 kg.
My own stick is a RDS001 MP. I could tell that RQis is thicker and heavier than 001 by the way it hits. I personally don't like Luxillon so i can't have a clean opinion about RQiS. The only think i can tell is that when i took my RDS001 MP back felt lighter and thiner (better) and more stable and controlable.

I am about to choose to stay with RDS001 MP or between RDS002 TOUR UL or RQiS. What do you think guys?

akwila
10-28-2007, 02:48 AM
RQiS is more lethal and arm friendly.

Nandrzej
10-28-2007, 03:31 AM
I would say that the cons so far have been stability, an off-center shot has produced slightly less than ideal stability.

Now you mention it I remember stability being worse than I thought is should be when I first hit with it. As I got used to it it ceased to be a problem, I would say this was just adjustment and finding the sweet (or with Yonex, sweet-ish) spot on the strings, after that it was not much of an issue. With practise it would not be a problem.

So, if this stick is good or not, depends from the strings?

I would say for most racquets would depend on the strings. It is also an opportunity to tailor a racquet to suit your style.

cheers, Nick

Nandrzej
10-28-2007, 03:45 AM

I am about to choose to stay with RDS001 MP or between RDS002 TOUR UL or RQiS. What do you think guys?

I would hit with it more for a good comparison with the RDS002 tour UL. I have not hit with the RDS002 tour UL, only the SL and that IMHO hits with more power than either the RQiS and the RDS002 tour UL.

cheers, Nick

tarie
10-28-2007, 06:01 AM
My own stick is a RDS001 MP. I could tell that RQis is thicker and heavier than 001 by the way it hits. I personally don't like Luxillon so i can't have a clean opinion about RQiS. The only think i can tell is that when i took my RDS001 MP back felt lighter and thiner (better) and more stable and controlable.

If you want try only the 002tour SL,the UL version is a different racquet though it has the same name!
For me it's not worth to change form 001mp to 002tour ul.

Fedace
10-28-2007, 06:22 AM
RQiS is more lethal and arm friendly.

Lethal meaning you can hit more clean winners like Nadal ??

nikosrf
10-28-2007, 01:51 PM
The problem is that in my area there is no way to try all these models. I tried RQis tha a friend of mine bought.
My prefere of 002 UL is from its characteristics. I think that SL may be too heavy for me. That's why i add UL in my list eventhough my 001 with overgrip is about 335-340 gr.

Fedace
10-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Do you guys think that the sweet spot on this tour is smaller than RDS 001 midplus racket ?? I had little more trouble finding the sweet spot consistantly with 1 tour.

rtparker
10-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Like my post said earlier, the RQiS is a sweet stick. I hit with a guy that plays on the satellite circuit. The stick has plenty of pop, so I don't agree with the TW playtesters. Again, though, this is coming from someone that has a very big forehand, so power from the stick isn't actually all that desirable because I like taking a big cut at the ball.

I can tell you that strings make a huge difference. I playtested it for a month and thought it lacked enough punch, but the RQiS Tour 2 had way too much power. So I bought the RQiS Tour 1 and lowered the tension. I have three sticks currently, and have them strung with Technifiber BiPhase (at 59 and 60 lbs and Natural Gut at 61.5). I've also done the Luxilon/multi hybrid as well and they all had plenty of pop (with the gut having a bit too much at times even at the higher tension). I think the demo I had syn gut or something, and it definitely felt more dead. So try some different strings and you'll see this stick really come alive. Love it.

Chauvalito
10-28-2007, 10:11 PM
I had a chance to play with the racket today. In stock form the racket is quite underwhelming in the power department. Plenty of clontrol and spin however.

On many shots you could feel the racket flexing in the throat. I have to wonder though, with a stifness of 61, after a short period of time the rackets might become fatigued.

What I dont understand is why Yones chose to go so wide with the beam. It is not noticeable when you swing, but it does not provide any extra pop power or stability on the racket.

I placed some lead at 12, one 4 inch strip and the racket played mych better. It was all i had on hand, but given this first experience with lead, adding much more at 3 and 9 would really help this racket in the power department.

With poly, and a LOT of extra weight, the racket would be fun to play with.

Nandrzej
10-29-2007, 05:22 AM
Do you guys think that the sweet spot on this tour is smaller than RDS 001 midplus racket ?? I had little more trouble finding the sweet spot consistantly with 1 tour.

I have not hit enough with the RDS001 midplus to comment, I am sure someone on the board will be able to fill us in.

cheers, Nick

counterpuncher
10-29-2007, 03:11 PM
I play with the RDS001 mp and have started hitting with the RQiS 1, IMO the RDS001 mp does have a bigger sweetspot (just noticeable enough), but it also does have a bigger head 98 vs 95.

akwila
11-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Yes. Now I use it. It's great!

Fedace
11-01-2007, 08:07 PM
I play with the RDS001 mp and have started hitting with the RQiS 1, IMO the RDS001 mp does have a bigger sweetspot (just noticeable enough), but it also does have a bigger head 98 vs 95.

Yea you are right, RDS001 does have bigger head 98. makes sense.

akwila
11-03-2007, 03:47 PM
I confirm that, when you have a clean hit, this racket is great!

Fedace
11-03-2007, 04:09 PM
I confirm that, when you have a clean hit, this racket is great!

exactly, when you hit the sweet spot, it has control and power that is unmatched.:grin:

akwila
11-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Anyone else has discovered it?

iksmols
11-18-2007, 10:02 AM
What do you think?

Very funny,very funny.Anytime I hear someone proclaiming some racquet to be the best ever I laugh.THERE IS NO SUCH A THING AS THE BEST RACQUET EVER!
If You really want to know what I think I think that it is most likely Your favorite racquet.

akwila
11-18-2007, 12:02 PM
I agree with you. The better is your game the less important is what racquet you use

0d1n
11-18-2007, 12:18 PM
I agree with you. The better is your game the less important is what racquet you use

I strongly disagree. I think it's the other way around. The better the player, the more important his equipment becomes.
The weaker the player, the less important his racket is, because he still has to learn fundamentals like movement, early preparation and proper technique...and you can do that with pretty much any racket out there (within reason).

I'm not denying that the better players can play with pretty much anything and still whip somebody who's a weaker player than them BUT when playing somebody of similar level their equipment is more important than the equipment of two average hacks who go at it in the park. This is because the advanced player's strokes are "grooved" to some type of racket (weight/balance/sw/stiffness ...etc), and they are playing their best tennis with THAT racket.
The weaker player does NOT have grooved strokes and is still making basic mistakes (like not getting into proper position to hit the ball). Hence the racket will be LESS important for him (because no racket out there can replace foot work...for example)
My 2 pence ;)

Edit "on topic". No the rqis is NOT the best racket ever...there is no such thing. A piece of crap racket (for me) can be another player's "holy grail".

shojun25
11-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Best racquet = depends on the person

iksmols
11-20-2007, 08:44 AM
I strongly disagree. I think it's the other way around. The better the player, the more important his equipment becomes.
The weaker the player, the less important his racket is, because he still has to learn fundamentals like movement, early preparation and proper technique...and you can do that with pretty much any racket out there (within reason).

I'm not denying that the better players can play with pretty much anything and still whip somebody who's a weaker player than them BUT when playing somebody of similar level their equipment is more important than the equipment of two average hacks who go at it in the park. This is because the advanced player's strokes are "grooved" to some type of racket (weight/balance/sw/stiffness ...etc), and they are playing their best tennis with THAT racket.
The weaker player does NOT have grooved strokes and is still making basic mistakes (like not getting into proper position to hit the ball). Hence the racket will be LESS important for him (because no racket out there can replace foot work...for example)
My 2 pence ;)

Edit "on topic". No the rqis is NOT the best racket ever...there is no such thing. A piece of crap racket (for me) can be another player's "holy grail".

Very good point.
At some point it is about being comfortable with Your racquet(in tune)which in turn gives You boost of confidence on the court.This is exactly why Professional players have their racquets customized and matched to meet their playing characteristics.You would be surprized how on that level a little discrepancy in string tension can throw the player off.

stules
11-20-2007, 03:33 PM
Greetings one and sundry
Just purchased an RQiS 1Tour for experimentation purposes. The specs intrigued me. Currently using the RDS 002Tour, and its close but not quite ringing my bell.
Previous sticks I am comparing it to are the RDX500mp, RDS001m, SRD Tour90, SRD Tour95 (I have three for sale in the FS section) and currently the RDS 002tour (which I will also have three for sale soon).
The standard RQiS 1 is comfortable, and a good allround racquet for me, but nothing to rave about.
Experiment time.....
Just bumped the SW up gradually with lead, and this stick really comes alive.
THe sweetspot gets much bigger. It was a nice sweetspot when you hit it, but now much bigger with some lead. Super stable as well. Superb pocketing and feel.
THe specs I am at now are:
Total weight 370gm
Swing weight 373
balance 7pts head light
leather Gamma grip
Klip gut srtings 17 at 57/55

For the price of some lead, it is worth playing around.
Regards
Stuart

netman
11-20-2007, 06:30 PM
What is cool about Yonex is they are not afraid to try and keep improving on a good design. You can trace back the lineage of several of their current racquets to frames they sold in the 80's. Each new generation represents a few subtle enhancements. Some are to address new string tech, some are to answer player criticisms and some are to acknowledge changes in the game brought on by new tech. They rarely, if ever, try bleeding edge stuff, instead steadily improving on proven designs.

If currently am playing the RDS 001 and can take one of my R-22s out of the bag and quickly adjust and succeed with it. Try that going from a POG to an O3 Tour.

-k-

Chauvalito
11-20-2007, 06:37 PM
What is cool about Yonex is they are not afraid to try and keep improving on a good design. You can trace back the lineage of several of their current racquets to frames they sold in the 80's. Each new generation represents a few subtle enhancements. Some are to address new string tech, some are to answer player criticisms and some are to acknowledge changes in the game brought on by new tech. They rarely, if ever, try bleeding edge stuff, instead steadily improving on proven designs.

If currently am playing the RDS 001 and can take one of my R-22s out of the bag and quickly adjust and succeed with it. Try that going from a POG to an O3 Tour.

-k-

Netman,

Do you know anything about the RD power 5?

The specs are close to that of the rqis1 tour, in that it is also 95 sq. inches, 16x19, and 320 grams. The beam I think is straight though.

It was a japan and europe only racket.

netman
11-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Netman,

Do you know anything about the RD power 5?

The specs are close to that of the rqis1 tour, in that it is also 95 sq. inches, 16x19, and 320 grams. The beam I think is straight though.

It was a japan and europe only racket.

Have never hit with a RD Power 5 so can not comment on it.

The trend in today's pro game seems to favor racquets with frames that are thicker in the middle and shoulders of the hoop. The RQis 1 Tour seems to be Yonex's answer to competing designs like the Pure Drive i.e. having the thicker mid section but still providing Yonex's trademark flexiblilty.

javier sergio
11-20-2007, 06:51 PM

which one is the other one?:confused: