PDA

View Full Version : What has happend to me?

Nmtennis08
10-25-2007, 05:58 PM
I'm usually one of the top guys on my high school team but lately I seem to have lost all consistancey, pace and control. Its like i forgot how to hit the ball. this is driving me crazy can anyone help? Some more info 4.0 with a western forehand and eastern one hander.

metamike
10-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Simple. Fix whatever else is wrong with your life, and do cardio every day or whenever possible. There are two reasons for losing consistency, pace, and control.

1) Physical Weakness: Your body through either laziness or an injury hinders your body's ability to keep up with your instincts, reactions, and mind's opinions on how your should hit your next shot, therefore hindering your ability to plain.

2) Mental Weakness: Other way around, your body is completely capable, but due to being either distracted, depressed, moody due an emotional cause, or just unable to concentrate you won't be hitting any of your shots the right way.

If anything you can think of in real life is hurting you physically or emotionally, get in shape or fix the psychological problem bothering you.

If that still doesn't work, that means that you're only bad because of your way of thinking towards the sport of tennis itself, and by that I mean you think that you're too good (Get cocky), or that you're too bad (lose confidence).

Just grab a tennis racquet, play the game whenever possible, and most importantly play for fun :)

Nmtennis08
10-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Been working out for the last week or so i am a little tired, but still i played like i haven't picked up a tennis racket in like a year. Maybe I am just making a big deal out of a few really bad tennis days. Who knows things might be better next week. I just wanted to vent a little.

metamike
10-25-2007, 06:20 PM
:P If it only happened several days in a row that's nothing to worry about, I thought by "lately" you meant 1 week - 1 month.

Nmtennis08
10-25-2007, 06:32 PM
just terrible play has only lasted like 3 days but bad play has lasted like a week. So 10 straight days of sucking is the easiest way to put it. Sorry i wasn't more clear.

Venetian
10-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Just quit playing. Take up the fiddle.

Bagumbawalla
10-25-2007, 09:40 PM
When this kind of thing happens, and it will from time to time, the tendency is to want to go out and hit winners to prove to yourself that you've still got it- and, generally, it does not prove that at all.

I recommend doing just the opposite. Hold off playing tournaments or competitive matches for a while and just focus on the basics and consistancy. Practice hitting tons of balls deep, down the line and crosscourt. Practice serves and volleys and overheads and dropshots and lobs, and every shot you can think of- then hit them over and over and over.

When you have refined your basics and regained your overall confidence I think you will find your competitive game will improve as well.

Cervantes
10-25-2007, 09:45 PM
I once worked with Matts Wilander's junior coach Stan something. I asked about the same problem. His answer..."run".

So, stop whining, run...and get l**d. It should work wonders...

Mick
10-25-2007, 09:52 PM
maybe it's not you who has changed but it's your opponents.

if your opponents are better players than the ones you used to play against then they will make you feel that you "have lost all consistency, pace and control."

Hot Sauce
10-25-2007, 10:01 PM
It could be a lack of focus.

metamike
10-26-2007, 02:01 PM
...There's no way it's all his opponents for 10 straight days unless he suddenly started playing pros every day that put so much spin on every shot including their serve that it messes up every single one of his hits...

Which is highly unlikely.

r2473
10-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Just quit playing. Take up the fiddle.

Is that you Nero?

vkartikv
10-26-2007, 02:46 PM
When this kind of thing happens, and it will from time to time, the tendency is to want to go out and hit winners to prove to yourself that you've still got it- and, generally, it does not prove that at all.

I recommend doing just the opposite. Hold off playing tournaments or competitive matches for a while and just focus on the basics and consistancy. Practice hitting tons of balls deep, down the line and crosscourt. Practice serves and volleys and overheads and dropshots and lobs, and every shot you can think of- then hit them over and over and over.

When you have refined your basics and regained your overall confidence I think you will find your competitive game will improve as well.

Are you a mind reader or what?!! I did exactly that! When my game was in the doldrums last year, I just went out and satisfied myself by hitting some down the line winners and told myself that my game was ok as long as I still had that down the liner. But it was not to be. I retained that one shot while everything else fell. I just stopped playing altogether for a few weeks and went back to the basics when I returned. It happens about once a year for a variety of reasons - a) being 'inspired' by a pro to hit a certain shot and forget everything else in the process b) thinking about non-tennis related stuff and losing focus and c) being lazy or not having eaten right before going out to play.

Venetian
10-26-2007, 05:19 PM
Is that you Nero?

Lol, who's Nero? A fiddle player?

SmoothSailing
10-26-2007, 09:14 PM
You must have skipped history class, eh? ;)

Venetian
10-27-2007, 04:42 AM
So I looked up this Nero fellow. "Fiddled while Rome burned", nice. I don't remember that part of history class. I didn't ever skip it, but it's quite possible I was asleep.

metamike
10-27-2007, 07:31 AM
Nero was the crazy Roman ruler right? I remember there was one ruler who appointed his horse onto a position in the government...Was that him?