PDA

View Full Version : Serve Pace

princeO32433
10-25-2007, 06:43 PM
How do i increase the pace on my serve? I can hit a good kick and slice but as much racquet head speed as i have im not getting much power. I see other players who can serve twice as fast as me but dont swing as hard. they also do not use their legs. What is the problem?!?

Tennismastery
10-25-2007, 06:51 PM
How do i increase the pace on my serve? I can hit a good kick and slice but as much racquet head speed as i have im not getting much power. I see other players who can serve twice as fast as me but dont swing as hard. they also do not use their legs. What is the problem?!?

Serve speed will be dependent on swing speed, angle of swing path, body rotation, (angular momentum), upward thrust, and forward thrust of the body. If you hit with significant spin, then you need to change the angle of your attack...in other words, instead of only brushing up or across the ball for your spin, you will want to brush more AT the ball. Think of giving yourself a high five where you start well below the hand and brush up. This would be your spin serve with minimal pace. Now, pronate the high five so that the hand squarely hits your other hand but still moves across the hand in a brushing action. You will hear more of a pop on the second one yet, still have a brushing component.

In terms of trying to improve this part of your serve, simply try to toss more into the court (towards the net), but remember to lean in staying sideways. By leaning into the court, you will automatically change your swing path to come more at the ball. By staying sideways, you will still be able impart a brushing action for control and some arc. If you simply hit the ball flat, you would lose this important part of any good serve.

Good luck.

Andres
10-25-2007, 06:56 PM
This is one of the best advices my coach told me when serving, and most people don't realize about it:

"Hit the sweetspot"

It's so simple, and yet so overlooked. Focus on hitting the sweetspot, and you'll see a huge difference.

WBF
10-25-2007, 07:29 PM
This is one of the best advices my coach told me when serving, and most people don't realize about it:

"Hit the sweetspot"

It's so simple, and yet so overlooked. Focus on hitting the sweetspot, and you'll see a huge difference.

Agreed. It's an enormous difference.

Keep in mind that strength is not everything. I have a relatively "weak" (read: I don't work out, I don't have enormous arms, I'm skinny) arm, but have gotten the motions down well enough to hit very, very fast serves.

But then... While it's always nice to bang a lightning bolt down the T, I've found that kick serves can be nearly as effective as big first serves without great placement (as in: not hitting the T or far out wide). Keep placement on your priorities as well as speed.

daddy.dirtsurfer
10-25-2007, 09:59 PM
Lead tape certainly helps

WBF
10-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Lead tape certainly helps

Negligible difference. Particularly for people who aren't doing regular physical training.

volusiano
10-25-2007, 10:50 PM
In terms of trying to improve this part of your serve, simply try to toss more into the court (towards the net).

This definitely helps me with my pace.

Ross K
10-25-2007, 11:01 PM

"Hit the sweetspot"

This sounds like one of those simple but great little insights. I look forward to focussing on it.

GoochMoney
10-27-2007, 07:03 AM
First you will likely need to adjust your grip from your normal "kick serve" grip. I also grip the at the bottom of the butt end. Make sure the ball is out in front of you and your racquet is back and "loaded". Also make sure your base - legs and torso are in a power position to release energy into the ball. At the peak of your extension release your wrist, snapping the head at the ball and through it.

Going to take some practice -- good luck --

Big Fed
10-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Add a little shoulder turn...