PDA

View Full Version : position when volleying in singles

raiden031
10-25-2007, 06:57 PM
I'm a little unclear about the ideal position to be in the service box when volleying in singles. I know that the closer you are to the net, the less distance you need to cover from side to side. Also the more difficult it is for an opponent to hit a low ball to you. However, I also find that the reaction time I gain by standing more in the back of the service box seems to allow me to hit cleaner volleys. I guess the question is when it is better to be in the front of the service box verses the back. And remember I'm only talking about singles.

Solat
10-25-2007, 07:54 PM
you should close the net with each volley, basically if you volley 3 or more balls you lose more often then you win so you need to play a set up volley and close for a put away volley.

Singles you should attack the net out of choice so you should be in a reasonable position, doubles you attack all the time so sometimes you can get caught out.

good luck

Bagumbawalla
10-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Basically, you are a serve and volleyer and come in behind just about everything or you play percentage tennis from the back court and wait for an opportunity to follow the ball to the net.

In either case, you want to get in close to the net-- no half measures or hanging back to see how things go (unless you immediately detect an impending lob). If you are not confident in the placement or your ability, then you should not be at the net in the first place.

fuzz nation
10-26-2007, 12:02 PM
I'd say somewhere from the halfway point between the net and the service line in to where you're about two steps off the net. If I'm in there, I can really take over, but if I get stuck only a step inside the service line, it's a lot easier for a smart opponent to put me in some trouble.

If you need a cushion for better reaction, try not to back up too far - maybe no more than a step and a half.

lakis92
10-26-2007, 12:05 PM
A couple of steps in front of the service line.

kevhen
10-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Too close to net and your opponent can lob you easily. Too close to net and you don't have enough reaction time to hit clean volley. Too far from net and you give up angled vollies and have to deal with low vollies but can cover lobs and hard shots better.

In singles I am in the middle of the service court when going to net.

In doubles I might be a step back from there to cover lobs over my partner and let him be tighter and more aggressive at net.

You have to find your own ideal spot. If you have aggressive volley and opponent rarely lob then get on top of the net.

LuckyR
10-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Clearly you are getting advice all over the map. I don't see the difference between how close to stand (optimally) for doubles or singles for the second volley. In both cases you need to be prepared for a pass. In singles you have to cover more court width so cutting angles (depending on the prowess of your opponent) might enter a bit more into the equation.

Other things you will find useful is: your quickness vs speed, your fear of lobs vs low groundies etc