PDA

View Full Version : Flexible but not too light

JeffSmith1234
10-26-2007, 06:23 AM
Can anyone help?

I am currently using a Head Flexpoint Radical (mid plus).

I am recovering from wrist surgery, (awaiting physio) and I wanted to test the forum's suggestions on racquets.

I don't think the Radical is too heavy, but it does feel stiff (DA=63).

Is there such a thing as a racquet that is flexible (lower DA?) but is not too light?

I have just rang a racquet shop that suggested a WILSON KFactor lite. This is 249g which seems very light.

I was always advised to use the heaviest racquet that you feel comfortable with.

Don't worry, I won't be playing until I get the "green light" from Hospital Consultant, after physio.

I was just after suggestions, so I can price up the suggested racquets and arrange demos.

bagung
10-26-2007, 06:25 AM
try the dnx-10 mid, flex 58, 12 oz....
most friendly racquets i ever tried

lucu
10-26-2007, 06:32 AM
yes, i am going to say dnx10mid too.
donnay pro 1 international, fischer m speed pro 1

Muffin Man
10-26-2007, 06:44 AM
demo the new microgel radical. low flex....57 i think according to usrsa. good weight and won't be that different from your flexpoint. except it won't have silly flexpoint.

mmuubb
10-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Redondo, Wilson ROK?

latinking
10-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Fischer rackets. Very flexy

Ed Lee
10-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Try the Volkl C10 Pro. In my opinion, it plays more flexible than the specs suggest. It is approximately an ounce heavier than your radical, but the swingweight is not that different than your racquet. Very comfortable and great touch. Good luck.

In)SpiRe
10-26-2007, 03:18 PM
I think the microgels will help the most, havent tried the radical but the extreme was really comforting.

10sfreak
10-26-2007, 03:30 PM
See if you can get hold of a Yonex RDX 500...

Bud
10-26-2007, 03:57 PM
The new Donnay P1I looks promising, too.

bubbatex
10-26-2007, 08:09 PM
demo the new microgel radical. low flex....57 i think according to usrsa. good weight and won't be that different from your flexpoint. except it won't have silly flexpoint.

Based on what the OP said, the MG Rad is probably too light as is. I am demoing it and a Becker 11 - wow!, what a difference. I like the Becker so much better. And the Extreme is probably too stiff, IMO. Would try the DNXMid as mentioned and the Donnay - which I am now thinking about since I have been swinging the Becker.

JeffSmith1234
10-28-2007, 02:07 AM
I was advised to have the oversize version of my Radical. I didn't realise how much lower the "Stiffness" rating is, 58 compared to 63.

I've never really "got on" with oversize racquets, I always felt that they felt different going through the air on the serve. (Maybe cumbersome is a better description)

Maybe I haven't explained that well.

What do other forum members think of Oversize racquets?

bubbatex
10-28-2007, 07:57 AM
In general, the bigger head has more forgiveness and the lower flex also adds less stress to your arm/wrist. I tried a MG Rad OS and there was virtually no vibration even on off center hits. Great for the arm, but the lower weight and the fact that there was not enough feel for me, sent me elsewhere (Becker 11). And, as with you, I prefer a slightly smaller head. But, I could see how the OS would be better for your wrist in the short term.

Michelangelo
10-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Maybe it's just the demo I tried, the MicroGEL Radical oversize plays well from baseline and very easy to access spin. The only 2 aspects I don't like is it has less feel than previous generations as well as some clang and vibration if not use (any kind of) dampener. The flex is good and responsive but surely it differs from the feel of fiberglass. Therefore I'd say Donnay Pro One International would offer some extra comfort. Fischer M Pro #1 is very comfortable as well. The comfort level is true to the flex rating suggested by Tennis Warehouse, but it offers some crisp and nice pop which is usually corresponds to stiffer racquets. Regarding the weight, spend US$2 or 3 on lead tape is the simplest solution and it can greatly broaden your choice of racquet. These 3 sticks are good candidates, just they have different kind of feel.