PDA

View Full Version : Wilson 6.1 Classic Replacement

dan_the_man
10-26-2007, 08:12 AM
Hi-
I currently use the 6.1 Classic and enjoy it very much. But I find its not perfect for me (or more likely I'm not perfect for it!). If I could, the main thing I would change about it would be its head size / sweet spot. I hit the sweet spot pretty consistently on every shot except for quick volleys and taking balls on the short hop (never easy). Can you recommend a racquet most similar to the 6.1 Classic, but with the primary difference being a larger sweet spot and/or head size? By the way, I generally do not like 'oversize' racquets (i.e. over 100 sq. in.)
Thanks for your help.
dan_the_man

VGP
10-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Well, since you're talking the PSC 6.1 at 95 sq. in. and don't like anything over 100 sq. in. doesn't that narrow it down a bit?

Might I suggest the racket finder tool at TW?

Pleepers
10-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Hi-
I currently use the 6.1 Classic and enjoy it very much. But I find its not perfect for me (or more likely I'm not perfect for it!). If I could, the main thing I would change about it would be its head size / sweet spot. I hit the sweet spot pretty consistently on every shot except for quick volleys and taking balls on the short hop (never easy). Can you recommend a racquet most similar to the 6.1 Classic, but with the primary difference being a larger sweet spot and/or head size? By the way, I generally do not like 'oversize' racquets (i.e. over 100 sq. in.)
Thanks for your help.
dan_the_man

Head makes racquets with 98si head size. Maybe wait to try the new prestige version when it comes out or look for some i.prestige MPs.

GoochMoney
10-26-2007, 09:44 AM
Hey Dan -

I switched from the PS Classic I grew up on a few months back. After trying a bunch of the lighter, bigger racquets, I ended up liking something pretty similar to the PS Classic...the K95. It is more manuevarable and forgiving (IMO) and still has a old school weight and feel to it.

Good luck!

Speedygonzalez
10-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Head makes racquets with 98si head size. Maybe wait to try the new prestige version when it comes out or look for some i.prestige MPs.

Although its headsize is larger I doubt whether the iprestige mp has a larger sweetspot.

origmarm
10-26-2007, 11:03 AM
I have the same problem. In this thread:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=156691
lots of people made suggestions.
Good luck, I'm still hunting

nickb
10-26-2007, 11:22 AM
You could start by trying out the nsix-one 95 and ksix-one 95...I like both better than the PSC...the ncode is more comfortable and muted..the k is stiffer and has more power.

BreakPoint
10-26-2007, 11:33 AM
You could start by trying out the nsix-one 95 and ksix-one 95...I like both better than the PSC...the ncode is more comfortable and muted..the k is stiffer and has more power.
I agree 100%. The nCode 95 and K95 are the successors to the PS 6.1 Classic so they would logically be the best place to start.

dan_the_man
10-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Thanks for some of the good advice.

I recently demoed the Prince O3 speedport tour and liked it, but I was not crazy about the feel with the port holes. It was significantly better with the string ports, but I'm not quite sure it is the right racquet for me.

I happened to pick up a Ksix-one 95 yesterday so I will try it out this weekend and see if it is any better than the 6.1 Classic.

I also picked up a FXP Prestige today and will also try it out this weekend. I actually owned one a year or so ago and enjoyed using it. But I ended up trading it for another racquet. I can't remember if I traded it because I had problems serving with it, or volleying? I guess I'll find out with this new demo.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.
dan_the_man

couch
10-26-2007, 11:38 AM
I agree 100%. The nCode 95 and K95 are the successors to the PS 6.1 Classic so they would logically be the best place to start.

Ditto. The nCode 95 and K95 are a little different but they are definitely the logical starting point. I would say if you like the PS 6.1 Classic, you would like these and would have a pretty short adjustment period.

I know guys who just upgrade every year to the new version of the 6.1 that Wilson puts out.

fuzz nation
10-26-2007, 12:32 PM
I've been looking to update my 6.1 Classics for a long time - I wanted to find something I could use with more consistency from the baseline, yet still have authority around the net since I routinely move forward. I got looking at more flexible sticks, but found that some could be too mushy up at net.

One frame that I think is a great alternative to the old Prostaffs is the Prince O3 Hybrid Tour. If you liked that Speedport, the HT may be an even better fit for you coming from that Wilson. I'm presently having fun with both the Fischer M-Speed 98 and the new Donnay midplus from TW - both are more tame than the Prostaff with their extra flex, but that moderate shift toward spin and control over power in a 12.5 oz. frame was what I wanted.

Tried the k6.1 95, too and I think it's a great update to the 6.1 line - I wasn't too excited about the nCode model a while back. One other frame that I'd say is a forgiving alternative to the 6.1 Classic is the Volkl C10 Pro and you might want to look in to that one, too.

BreakPoint
10-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Another racquet, but is now discontinued, is the HyperProStaff 6.1 (HPS 6.1). That was the one that came out right after the PS 6.1 Classic. Worth a try if you can find it.

gregmiata
10-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Another suggestion is the Tecnifibre TF335. It is similar in specs but not as stiff and therefore less power. It has a nice solid feel though and I think quite a large sweet spot.

Greg

dan_the_man
10-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Taking some of your advice, I had a chance to hit with both the K95 and FXP Prestige MP today. I was suprised to find that I liked the K95 less than the 6.1 classic. Yes, I thought the K95 had a little bigger sweet spot, but in exchange for that, it felt a little more head heavy. It didn't make a significant difference on my forehand, but I felt it more on the 1hbh and serve. I didn't feel like I could whip it like the 6.1 classic. I will hit with it some more tomorrow and see if I get used to it.

As for the FXP Prestige MP, it felt great on serves and forehands, but a little 'light' on backhands. It feels like it needs a little more weight to plow through the ball - especially on those shots where I don't get a good swing at the ball. I guess its a very fine line between being too heavy and too light . . . this is what everyone is looking for.

I hope to take some of your additional advice and try the C10 and TF335 sometime soon. I may also try out the Prince Hybrid Tour soon. I already have an M-Speed, but feel its a little too low powered sometimes.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Please let me know if you think of anything else.

dan_the_man

HeadPrestige
10-27-2007, 06:32 PM
if you still want a classic feeling racket, try the ps 6.0 95.

I would also try the rds 001 mid.

BreakPoint
10-27-2007, 07:40 PM
I was suprised to find that I liked the K95 less than the 6.1 classic.
Not surprising at all since older racquets are generally better than most newer racquets.

JohnP
10-27-2007, 07:46 PM
Taking some of your advice, I had a chance to hit with both the K95 and FXP Prestige MP today. I was suprised to find that I liked the K95 less than the 6.1 classic. Yes, I thought the K95 had a little bigger sweet spot, but in exchange for that, it felt a little more head heavy. It didn't make a significant difference on my forehand, but I felt it more on the 1hbh and serve. I didn't feel like I could whip it like the 6.1 classic. I will hit with it some more tomorrow and see if I get used to it.

As for the FXP Prestige MP, it felt great on serves and forehands, but a little 'light' on backhands. It feels like it needs a little more weight to plow through the ball - especially on those shots where I don't get a good swing at the ball. I guess its a very fine line between being too heavy and too light . . . this is what everyone is looking for.

I hope to take some of your additional advice and try the C10 and TF335 sometime soon. I may also try out the Prince Hybrid Tour soon. I already have an M-Speed, but feel its a little too low powered sometimes.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Please let me know if you think of anything else.

dan_the_man

Interesting. I went through a search for something to replace my PSC's, and ended up getting the k95 16x18. What's interesting is that i've found that I enjoy more of a headlight balance with my K95, and have been weighting it accordingly. I have been putting some lead at 10and2 to raise the sweetspot a bit, and weight in the but of the racquet to balance it out and make it slightly more headlight than stock. You may find that something similar will work for you as well.

That being said, I enjoyed demoing racquets, and there are alot of players racquets that are in a similar style to the PSC right now.

dan_the_man
11-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Based on some of your suggestions, here is an update on my recent TW racquet demos.

Yonex RDS 002 Tour: this racquet was great on forehands and serves. I didnít have enough time to hit many backhands with it because I disliked volleying with it so much. I felt the strings were too Ďbouncyí and my volleys were all over the place. It also didnít feel like there was enough mass in the head to handle a really hard hit ball (especially if I didnít have time to step into it properly Ė a common problem for me).

POG OS: I tried this simply because of its legendary status on this board. It really wasnít the racquet for me (donít like oversizes), but it does hit a nice forehand.

Volkl C10 Pro: I can see why people like this racquet. Especially on forehands. I felt like I could direct the ball where I want, with any amount of spin I wanted. But I also had some volleying problems with it (I know, its Ďmeí and not the racquet). Like the RDS002, I didnít feel like it had enough mass in the head for my (poor) style of volleying. I also had problems with my 1hbh. The racquet was so fast moving through the air that I had problems adjusting to the speed. Over time, I would have probably adjusted to this.

Tecnifibre T-Fight 335 (16x20): Nice racquet. Itís so heavy and solid throughout that it just plowed through any ball I hit. And everything felt like it hit the sweet spot (maybe due to the mass). My forehands were deep and more powerful than usual, my backhands were solid and my serves were as good as with any racquet Iíve ever used. But what I enjoyed the most was volleying. Just sticking the racquet out at the ball yielded a solid volley. When I had a chance to step in, they were that much better. It seems virtually all of my volleys went in with this racquet. And the extra weight did not seem to bother me. That said, I bought one today on TW. Weíll see how the honeymoon and beyond go.

Thanks for all your advice.
Dan_the_man

fuzz nation
11-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Here's to your honeymoon - hope that 335 turns out to be "the one" for you. It's probably the only current frame around that I'm curious about, but haven't tried.

Coming from the Prostaff, it's no surprise that the C10 Pro was too headlight for you. The hoop on that frame is a little soft and I had to put a little lead out there to get it through the ball nicely. I am going to try the RDS 002 Tour and I've got some lead on hot standby if I need it - thanks for the rundown on your experiences.

Everyone here who tries to replace those old 6.1 Classics seems to be in a serious uphill climb. Those old bats were really exceptional.

JohnP
11-06-2007, 04:35 PM
I demo'ed many of the same racquets as you, Dan, when I was looking for a new racquet to replace my old PS Classics. Of the racquets I tried, the TF335 would have been my pick behind the K95. It is a significantly different feel but such a sweet racquet. Volleys felt amazing. It is alot more flexible than the PSC/K95 so groundstrokes felt weird to me; I sometimes wonder if I didn't cheat myself by not spending more time with it to get used to it.

CAM178
11-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Friendly reminder: the strings that come with the demos are not the greatest, so take that into account. . .heavily.

I switched from the Classic 6.1 to the nSix-One, and I will probably switch to the K95 if all goes well. Right now, though, I really like this nSix-One, and it has been my stick for 2 years now. Just finally figured out the right string combo on it this year.

Good luck! :D