PDA

View Full Version : Volk C9 Pro xtended

velvetcrush
10-26-2007, 09:42 AM
First time posting:

6 years ago I was training for Junior ITF, however I got sidelined by horrendous elbow pains. I switched from the Revelations to the heavier Volkl C9, but the problems persisted. I just picked up the racquet recently to see if I could get back into the swing of things, and noticed it felt nothing like I remember. I used to string with Live Wire at 56 lbs, so I had it restrung this time with TNT2 at 58lbs. It lacks the sweetspot I remember it having, and it also is uncontrollable when hitting off-center towards the top. Does anyone have any ideas on what my next racquet choice could be. I'm an all-court player with a low 120's serve, heavy topspin forehand, and a slice backhand. I'd like a powerful racquet (I still get more power off the rev's than I do with my C9, and almost as much control), with mid racquet speed. However, my elbow is the issue. Is the Volkl DNX8 a reasonable option?

ollinger
10-26-2007, 10:05 AM
DNX8 is quite stiff (69 flex, I believe) and felt harsh when I demoed it strung with multi.

NoBadMojo
10-26-2007, 10:13 AM
First time posting:

6 years ago I was training for Junior ITF, however I got sidelined by horrendous elbow pains. I switched from the Revelations to the heavier Volkl C9, but the problems persisted. I just picked up the racquet recently to see if I could get back into the swing of things, and noticed it felt nothing like I remember. I used to string with Live Wire at 56 lbs, so I had it restrung this time with TNT2 at 58lbs. It lacks the sweetspot I remember it having, and it also is uncontrollable when hitting off-center towards the top. Does anyone have any ideas on what my next racquet choice could be. I'm an all-court player with a low 120's serve, heavy topspin forehand, and a slice backhand. I'd like a powerful racquet (I still get more power off the rev's than I do with my C9, and almost as much control), with mid racquet speed. However, my elbow is the issue. Is the Volkl DNX8 a reasonable option?

assuming a one handed sliced backhand, the extended part of the c9 could be the culprit. the c9 is one of the more comfortable frames out there. i would avoid any extended length racquet. guessing your elbow is bothersome on the outer side rather than inner. the dnx8 isnt a harsh hit in comparison to other stiff racquets..it is stiff however, so likely best avoided. since you want something a bit lighter and more powerful than you c9's, good choices might be the dnx9 or the BeckerV1MP if you wish to stay in the Volkl family

velvetcrush
10-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks guys. Yup, the problem is on the outside. How'd you guess. Its on the outside and reverberates up and down the arm. Ive gone to a sports physical therapist and they didn't understand why it was on the outside - that said, they never fixed it. Must not have been a great therapist. Do you know of any place to demo the DNX9 , there is no Volkl demo dealers around here. I've heard the V1 has more power than the DNX series - any truth to that? Thanks again.

max
10-26-2007, 12:36 PM
I use a C-9 weighted to 12.3 oz. Just from a rationalist perspective, I can't see how a lighter and stiffer frame will help you out. I think the extended length's the problem. In the end, you want the racquet (and perhaps a looser stringbed) to take the shock, not your elbow. Best in the end, too, is to have a friend check your form.

velvetcrush
10-26-2007, 03:25 PM
My form, by professional standards, is horrible. I was winning in junior tournaments because I had a big serve(115 in the under 16's), and I used more topspin than most. But because I could win without form, I never changed what I was doing. At 15, you feel like if you're winning, everyone else must not know what they're talking about. Finally a trainer tried to teach me correct form, but my game fell apart and my elbow felt like it was about to fall off. I'll definitely switch back to a non-extended racquet, and at some point, try to fix the technique. Thanks for all your help.