PDA

View Full Version : Does Lead Tape Come Off Easily?

tennismaster888
10-26-2007, 11:53 AM
If i put lead tape on the racket head will it come off easily or will it need a lot of effort?? thanks

MichaelChang
10-26-2007, 12:02 PM
It won't come off easily. Even if you constantly miss hit and hit the ball on the frame where the lead tape is on.

tennismaster888
10-26-2007, 12:03 PM
It won't come off easily. Even if you constantly miss hit and hit the ball on the frame where the lead tape is on.

i was talking more about trying to remove it if i dont like where it is placed...

Lindros13
10-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Not too long ago, I used the end of a scizzors to peel up the end of some lead tape on the head of my frame. I don't recommend this. Yes, the scizzors peeled up the tape, but it also scratched and cut into the paint job on my frame. I didn't even think I was pressing too hard. I've since tried using pen caps made of plastic, but I've yet to come up with a good method for removing it. I'm curious to hear what others do. Once you get the end of the tape up in the air, it peels off relatively easily.

MichaelChang
10-26-2007, 12:30 PM
I just use my finger nails to peel and pull off the lead tape. I have done that. I would never use a scizzor on my racket.

tennismaster888
10-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Not too long ago, I used the end of a scizzors to peel up the end of some lead tape on the head of my frame. I don't recommend this. Yes, the scizzors peeled up the tape, but it also scratched and cut into the paint job on my frame. I didn't even think I was pressing too hard. I've since tried using pen caps made of plastic, but I've yet to come up with a good method for removing it. I'm curious to hear what others do. Once you get the end of the tape up in the air, it peels off relatively easily.

alright so the goal is just to get the end up in the air :D anyone have any reccomendations for that?? thanks

tennismaster888
10-26-2007, 12:32 PM
I just use my finger nails to peel and pull off the lead tape. I have done that. I would never use a scizzor on my racket.

haha my fingernails aren't long enough for that =]

shojun25
10-26-2007, 12:34 PM

Same here, but there will be excess tape stuff left in your racquet. You can use alcohol to get that stuff off.

MichaelChang
10-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Same here, but there will be excess tape stuff left in your racquet. You can use alcohol to get that stuff off.

why would there be excess tape stuff?
you mean those little sticky things? when I pull the lead off, the sticky things didn't stay on my racket. (I taped on 3/9 positions).

tennismaster888
10-26-2007, 12:36 PM

do u have any other methods then fingernails cuz i dont have any of those :p

MichaelChang
10-26-2007, 12:36 PM
haha my fingernails aren't long enough for that =]

mine isn't long either. you don't need a long nail to peel. It is actually very straight forward to peel just a little opening, then you can pull the whole lead off. easy.

tennismaster888
10-26-2007, 12:37 PM
mine isn't long either. you don't need a long nail to peel. It is actually very straight forward to peel just a little opening, then you can pull the whole lead off. easy.

okay thanks a lot :D

Shangri La
10-26-2007, 12:59 PM
will lead tape leave any permanent mark on your racquet after removed? or will it do any damage to the paint job>?

KOtennis
10-26-2007, 01:08 PM
its not easy to peel off.

depends where u buy the lead tape.

sometimes they leave sticky residue on the frame after you peel it off.

worse yet, sometimes it takes off the paint job when you try to remove it.

happened with my n95. i put lead on the 3 & 9 clock, when i pulled it off, it took of some of the pain job!!!

good luck

tennismaster888
10-26-2007, 01:12 PM

happened with my n95. i put lead on the 3 & 9 clock, when i pulled it off, it took of some of the pain job!!!

good luck

UH OH!! i ordered the unique lead tape...anyone use it?? does it remove paint job or leave sticky residue (i dont mind as much the residue but NOT THE PAINT!!) :D

rosenstar
10-26-2007, 01:20 PM
UH OH!! i ordered the unique lead tape...anyone use it?? does it remove paint job or leave sticky residue (i dont mind as much the residue but NOT THE PAINT!!) :D

nah, it's not that bad. I use it. I find that it the longer it's on the frame, the harder it is to get off. A couple days is no problem... a couple months is a different story. but, If you're leaving it on your frame for a couple months, chances are you're sticking with that set up

tennismaster888
10-26-2007, 01:24 PM
nah, it's not that bad. I use it. I find that it the longer it's on the frame, the harder it is to get off. A couple days is no problem... a couple months is a different story. but, If you're leaving it on your frame for a couple months, chances are you're sticking with that set up

yeah it should be a week most that i leave it on unless im gonna make it permanent. thanks for the insight =]

J011yroger
10-26-2007, 01:41 PM
If you layer it up like 4 thick then it comes off sometimes when you frame the ball. But if you only use one or two strips then it is more likely to stay on quite well. Lead falling off mid match is a problem for me because I use a ton of it and have some pretty stout batspeed.

As far as removal on purpose, it is easy to just peel off with a fingernail.

J

Shangri La
10-26-2007, 01:47 PM
so is there any difference between different brands as to how easily the tape can be peeled off without damaging the frame? if so, whihc brands are better at this?

john cheng
10-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Sometimes I use a plastic mail letter opener to peel the corner edge. It does that really effective without damaging the paintjob. Just be careful as some paintjobs are not as durable and no matter how much care you exercise in removal of lead tape, the paint coating might still adhere to the lead tape. Now to remove the residue, I use WD40 or a bicycle degreaser in very small amounts applied to a clean washcloth first, without any problems. Good luck!

tennismaster888
10-26-2007, 01:49 PM
If you layer it up like 4 thick then it comes off sometimes when you frame the ball. But if you only use one or two strips then it is more likely to stay on quite well. Lead falling off mid match is a problem for me because I use a ton of it and have some pretty stout batspeed.

As far as removal on purpose, it is easy to just peel off with a fingernail.

J

i dont like the sound of that....but i think id only have two layers (5 g at each 3 and 9) but thanks for the heads up. if i decide i need more ill be careful

J011yroger
10-26-2007, 01:55 PM
i dont like the sound of that....but i think id only have two layers (5 g at each 3 and 9) but thanks for the heads up. if i decide i need more ill be careful

Shouldn't be an issue at all for you. I add well over 20g

J

J011yroger
10-26-2007, 01:56 PM
P.S. your sig rocks :)

J

tennismaster888
10-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Shouldn't be an issue at all for you. I add well over 20g

J

thanks but i might be adding more if thats not enough so thanks for the heads up on that

P.S. your sig rocks :)

J

haha thanks....i said that when i was ****ed cuz i was tied with a like -5 rated player :p

0d1n
10-26-2007, 01:59 PM

good luck

That's Wilson quality for you ... never happened to me on any of my Dunlops or Fischers ... and it sure wouldn't happen with my DNX or Tour 10's (even though I never tried it ... those things are heavy enough)... Volkl's paint quality is second to none (in my experience). Ah...leaded up some Head Radicals as well...no problem with the paint. It's Wilson I tell you... ;)

tennismaster888
10-26-2007, 02:01 PM
That's Wilson quality for you ... never happened to me on any of my Dunlops or Fischers ... and it sure wouldn't happen with my DNX or Tour 10's (even though I never tried it ... those things are heavy enough)... Volkl's paint quality is second to none (in my experience). Ah...leaded up some Head Radicals as well...no problem with the paint. It's Wilson I tell you... ;)

any thoughts on technifibres paint quality?

0d1n
10-26-2007, 02:03 PM
any thoughts on technifibres paint quality?

No comment ... never used one in my life ;). Would like to try those 320's though ... they look like sweet frames.

tennismaster888
10-26-2007, 02:04 PM
No comment ... never used one in my life ;). Would like to try those 320's though ... they look like sweet frames.

bout to demo one of them :p but swingweight is too low for my liking so i thought id try adding lead to the head

0d1n
10-26-2007, 02:13 PM
bout to demo one of them :p but swingweight is too low for my liking so i thought id try adding lead to the head

An overgrip adds 5 grams (roughly). Add some 4, 5 grams split between 3 and 9 and you'll take care of the SW issue if you think it's too light. I have a feeling that it won't be as light as it sounds though ... no 340 grams racket will be a "feather" or "unplayable because of instability" ;)

tennismaster888
10-26-2007, 02:19 PM
An overgrip adds 5 grams (roughly). Add some 4, 5 grams split between 3 and 9 and you'll take care of the SW issue if you think it's too light. I have a feeling that it won't be as light as it sounds though ... no 340 grams racket will be a "feather" or "unplayable because of instability" ;)

haha good point but the 308 sw seems strangely low for a heavy racket. ill start with 5 g i guess...but i want a little less headlight (5 or 6 maybe not exactly sure) and a little more power so i guess i jsut ahve to experiment. plus if its a little heavier itll be more arm friendly which i like too =]

Nsweet
10-26-2007, 05:32 PM
If you want it to come off easily, before you put it on you should drag the sticky side against a cotton shirt which will make it a little less sticky but it will stay on even if you shank it on the tape. Then when you try to take it off it peels easily without damaging the paint.

tennismaster888
10-26-2007, 07:22 PM
If you want it to come off easily, before you put it on you should drag the sticky side against a cotton shirt which will make it a little less sticky but it will stay on even if you shank it on the tape. Then when you try to take it off it peels easily without damaging the paint.

good idea thanks =]