PDA

View Full Version : Is the pog for me?

PhatAbbott
03-19-2004, 05:28 AM
Im 17 and have been playing tennis about 3 years now. I have a sw fore with a 2handed backhand. I play from the back of the court and I like to move people from side to side.

I want a racket which I can swing out with comfortably. Currently I play with the I radical. Which is nice... but It feels flimsy and doesn't get enough bite for me. So really I need a racket with good control and topspin so I can get a little more margin for error.

I've got to decide on the Mp or the Os. Im not a huge fan of oversize rackets because they look a bit silly, but if its plays better then im ok with it.

If anyone can give a new player to the game some help id really appreciate it. Thanks alot.

Kirko
03-19-2004, 09:40 AM
To me silly is avoiding what might help you be a better player ; try them side by side then determine what is the best for you . Good Luck !

dkislingbury
03-19-2004, 10:35 AM
If I were you I would try both of the rackets. Be aware that the oversize racket will generally generate greater power so it will reduce your margin for error so I would personally go for the MP.

I am also from England and live in Chichester, South England. I am 18 and have been playing tennis for 8 years. Fancy a game?

PhatAbbott
03-21-2004, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the advice.

Lately im getting really frustrated with tennis... perhaps in the summer we can arrange a match. I live in Kent near Tundbridge wells.

Steve H.
03-21-2004, 02:53 PM
If you like the Radical OS but want more mass, do give the POG OS a try. It's a wonderful frame, very forgiving, and lends itself to many kinds of play. The mid version is stiffer, less forgiving, and also less head-light, also a wonderful frame but it would be a bigger change for you.

Momo
03-23-2004, 01:04 PM
I play with POG OS with Forten Aramid Gear (a kevlar hybrid). Between that and the open pattern of the racquet, you'll get plenty of bite. Also I find that I can really hit out on the ball and because of the huge amount of topspin I get, I hardly ever hit it out. If you're a flatter hitter, a smaller headsize would be better for control, but if you play with lots of spin (slice, top, or side) POG OS is an excellent choice. As previously mentioned, it has a nice solid feeling on ball contact as well because of it's heft. Demoing is your best bet, and from what I can tell, POG OS should be a high priority demo for you.

Good luck.

PhatAbbott
03-26-2004, 09:46 AM
Well I ordered the POG on Monday and it arrived on Thursdays. Overall im very pleased with it. The racket feels nicely weighted and it feels very solid which was somthing that I really wanted. The spin you can create with this thing is huge. The rackets not as powerfull as im used too, and with the heavy spin it means my shots loose alot of penetration but have doubled in consistancy. For service I feel a big improvement on 1st and 2nd serves. Plenty of power and spin. Volleys are nice and sweet with this racket also.

I had it strung at 62 pounds with Big banger ace 18 but I think it lost some tension during the shiping. If not it was strung really badly :-(. If anyone could recomend any string/tension guides Id apriciate it.

Thanks to all the advice from you guys.