PDA

View Full Version : Mardy Fish looking for a new coach?

ChiefAce
11-16-2004, 07:27 PM
Mardy Fish and Kelly Jones have officially ended the coach player relationship they had for the last couple of years. Fish apparently is pretty content with being a top 30ish player and doesn't want to work very hard. Jones was very laid back and let Mardy get away with this behavior and it's lead to Jones being fired by Fish.

prince
11-16-2004, 08:02 PM
he can go with Pmac since they are ""friends" right ?

ChiefAce
11-17-2004, 07:26 AM
he can go with Pmac since they are ""friends" right ?

From what I've heard most of *the boys* don't really care for Pmac that much so I doubt he'll be coaching Mardy.

ford oliver
11-17-2004, 07:47 AM
Hey ChiefAce, since you seem to be on it, any advice for new coach Scott Humphries?

Fee
11-17-2004, 08:51 AM
If Mardy was content to be in the Top 30, and Kelly was too laid back to push him for more, doesn't that make them a perfect fit?

Marius_Hancu
11-17-2004, 10:13 AM
If Mardy was content to be in the Top 30, and Kelly was too laid back to push him for more, doesn't that make them a perfect fit?

That's what I thought when reading it:-))

But perhaps in the end Fish realized what's best for his progress. I mean, c'mmon, get first in shape, show some valid abs.

ChiefAce
11-17-2004, 10:21 AM

I think he let Mardy get away with too much and Mardy also has a ton of influence from his parents. The problem with Mardy is he is more interested in his image than in being a top 10 player.

They were such a good fit for those years because of how laid back Kelly is and how leniant he was with Mardy, but in the end apparently it just wasn't going to work out.

In the end they will just move on and it will probably be better for both of them. You can't make someone work hard if they don't want to.

ChiefAce
11-17-2004, 10:21 AM
Hey ChiefAce, since you seem to be on it, any advice for new coach Scott Humphries?

Good luck :)

Fee
11-17-2004, 11:14 AM
But if Mardy doesn't want to do the work, then he's not going to go out and find a more intense coach. Are you saying that Mardy's parents fired Kelly because neither Mardy nor Kelly was fired up enough? The statements in your second post would seem to support keeping Kelly (unless I'm reading it wrong, which has happened before).

I think Humphries already has a coaching job for next year, so Mardy may have to look elsewhere.

ChiefAce
11-17-2004, 11:33 AM
But if Mardy doesn't want to do the work, then he's not going to go out and find a more intense coach. Are you saying that Mardy's parents fired Kelly because neither Mardy nor Kelly was fired up enough? The statements in your second post would seem to support keeping Kelly (unless I'm reading it wrong, which has happened before).

I think Humphries already has a coaching job for next year, so Mardy may have to look elsewhere.

I think the relationship just ran it's course. Even if Kelly is a good fit for Mardy other factors come in and play a role in the whole matter. That's all I can say.

Fee
11-17-2004, 11:45 AM
Okay, that makes sense. Makes me wonder if James Blake might be changing soon too, or Robby Ginepri, but both of them have repeatedly said they won't change coaches and they seem to mean it.

Fee
11-18-2004, 04:55 PM
www.tennisnews.com

Could be Todd Martin.

david aames
11-18-2004, 08:42 PM
From watching the No Strings segment on the Tennis Channel, it was pretty clear that his whole environment was not tailored for the competition. I mean, isn't he a little old to have a roommate slacking around?