PDA

View Full Version : Is this wrong?

Bundey
10-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Okay, me and my friend were playing a doubles match, and about 95 percent of the time we would hit it to the weaker player on their team. So my question is in a friendly match, is it bad to always hit it to the weaker player?

WildVolley
10-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Okay, me and my friend were playing a doubles match, and about 95 percent of the time we would hit it to the weaker player on their team. So my question is in a friendly match, is it bad to always hit it to the weaker player?

If it is a friendly match, it can be a problem if makes the points shorter or less interesting. Sometimes, I hit to the better player just to make the whole thing more challenging and fun.

Nuke
10-26-2007, 07:51 PM
It wouldn't be a very "friendly" match if you only hit the ball to one player.

Bundey
10-26-2007, 08:01 PM
It wouldn't be a very "friendly" match if you only hit the ball to one player.

Well, it was not a competetive match, just some guys we saw at the courts, so we asked them to play. It turned out they are from our rival school, so it was pretty important to win. :-) Which we did....

Forehand Forever
10-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Yeah, then it's fine. You should've whooped them too if they were from your rivals. I know when we played our rivals I was up 5-0, 5-1 in like 10, 15 minutes. I think that set ended up to be 6-1 or 6-3 can't remember. But we won that match.

Seifersquall1
10-26-2007, 09:18 PM
You should since their from your rival school. If not, then don't :D

metamike
10-27-2007, 08:32 AM
...Why did you simply not ask yourself the question.

Let's see, friendly match = friendly
Hitting to weaker opponent = not friendly

...Mixing not friendly attitude in a friendly match?...Yeah, that's wrong.

Bagumbawalla
10-27-2007, 04:34 PM
For example, just today I played doubles. It was me and another good player against my practice partner and his daughter.

The daughter is a fairly good player (college player) and hits harder/faster than many men, but was, as far as doubles experience, really the weakest player there.

So, beating them badly would have had no meaning for anyone there. It would not be fun for us and it would be really no fun for them.

So, what we did is, basically, think of the match as a kind of practice. We hit the ball to both of them about equally and practiced some shots that it would be (probably) silly to try in a serious match. And because of that, there were, actually, some very interesting points.

So, I would say, yes, hit to the weaker partner, but it doesn't have to be all killer placements. Make them move and think, and give them a chance to hit the ball and be a part of the game. As they get the hang of it, and their game improves, you won't have to do that so much.

Landshark
10-27-2007, 06:11 PM
This is always a question since the two players are rarely ever totally even in skill. I just play them both as if they were even in skill and use a good strategy that would work in that case. Like say one of them is at the net and I get forced off the court by a wide shot, I return it crosscourt to the player in back. If they both are rushing the net, Ill pick whoever is slightly late or in a worse position and hit it at their feet, regardless of the skill level of that person. If they are both back and I recieve, it will probably go crosscourt, because the net is lower.

I would say this is if for friendly matches. However, I still do this when dinner is on the line. Its just no fun to win when you exploit another players weakness like that. On the plus side, it makes me a better player because I am practicing to make myself better, not win the easiest way.

Geezer Guy
10-29-2007, 12:44 PM
... in a friendly match, is it bad to always hit it to the weaker player?

Assuming you want to win, Yes - it's bad to always hit to the weaker player. Just because one player is weaker than the other (which will be the case in almost every doubles team you face), that doesn't mean you should just mindlessly aim the ball at them. There will be many times when the lesser player is better positioned, and hitting to the better player is more likely to win you the point. There are also plenty of times where you can hit away from both players to win the point. Also, if your opponents know where you're going to hit the ball, they can position themselves so that you're always making stupid shots. And, the better player can poach with ease, knowing that you'll always be aiming at his partner. It's better to play the percentages, and only go after the weaker player if you've got a 50/50 odds either way.

kevhen
10-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Always attack the weakness in tennis, be it your opponent's backhand or his partner. The weaker player will get frustrated and the stronger player will get bored and cold and play worse as well.

If you are playing with good friends and score is not important, then don't do this.

Bundey
10-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Okay thanks for the advice people. Also, when playing a competitve mixed double match, is it bad always to hit it is the girl?

Jackie T. Stephens
10-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Well I see what your saying but take notes.

Note:
You have to do anything to win.

Bundey
10-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Well I see what your saying but take notes.

Note:
You have to do anything to win.

Yeah, of course, but I wanted to know the etiquete.

hyogen
10-30-2007, 11:47 AM
eh.....did you really win though? what you should have done was hit it hard to the other guy. and tried to beat him. He isn't going to be beaten in his mind, just cuz he knows you guys were being "cheap" in hitting to the weak player -_- just my .02

Jackie T. Stephens
10-30-2007, 11:52 AM
eh.....did you really win though? what you should have done was hit it hard to the other guy. and tried to beat him. He isn't going to be beaten in his mind, just cuz he knows you guys were being "cheap" in hitting to the weak player -_- just my .02

Being cheap is the bets thing about tennis, thats why O love drops shots!!!

Geezer Guy
10-31-2007, 07:46 AM
... Also, when playing a competitve mixed double match, is it bad always to hit it is the girl?

Assuming you want to win, Yes - it's bad to always hit to the girl. Just because the girl is weaker than the guy (which will be the case in many mixed doubles teams you face), that doesn't mean you should just mindlessly aim the ball at her. There will be many times when the girl is better positioned, and hitting to the guy is more likely to win you the point. There are also plenty of times where you can hit away from both players to win the point. Also, if your opponents know where you're going to hit the ball, they can position themselves so that you're always making stupid shots. And, the guy can poach with ease, knowing that you'll always be aiming at his partner. It's better to play the percentages, and only go after the weaker player if you've got a 50/50 odds either way.

AND - don't always ASSUME that the girl is the weaker player!

757tennis
10-31-2007, 12:09 PM
i think that if youre playing mixed doubles then you should hit it to the weaker player and exploit the other teams weaknesses, no matter if its a girl of a guy