PDA

View Full Version : Pure Drive+ with cortex

vkartikv
10-26-2007, 08:30 PM
A friend demoed this one tonight and I got to spend about an hour with it too (incl. one set). It was set up with pro hurricane 18 @ 60 lbs

Groundstrokes/Returns : For someone with flat strokes, this took a lot of getting used to. Using an eastern forehand and my regular swingpath, 90% of the balls were sailing long and I had to adjust to a more western-like grip and loopy shots to keep the ball in. Topspin is very easy to generate since even yours truly had no trouble with it. I couldn't really feel the extended length being a factor here - SW felt more like 325 than the advertised 338. Flex was also appreciable for a 70 rating. There is a very pingy sound even with a volk vibration dampener. Overall I'd say I'd have to change my game altogether to use this one. Sliced backhands often floated/stood up asking to be hit so definitely not a chip and charger's dream. Returns were quite solid and landed deep into the court. There is certainly a little bit of jarring but it doesn't cause any discomfort or pain to the arms.

Volleys: I couldn't get the image of Roddick out of my head so naturally volleys were f*cked. It took a lot of effort on my part to keep the ball in the court. If I had to give it a score for feel it would be a 1 out of 10. Here again, I really couldn't feel the effects of the extended length.

Serves: This is the shocker. I went in expecting 15 mph extra on my serves but it was not to be. The round beam absolutely sucks on serves. I could feel the racquet twisting in my hands and I just couldn't get any flat serves at all. Nothing like a box beam! Second serves were great. There is a lot (lot lot lot lot) of kick to be gotten from this one so one may consider altering his first serve to make it a faster version of his second. If you want flat down the lines, just look away from this one.

Feel/Comfort: It's been about 2 hrs since I hit with it and there's been no discomfort, contrary to my expectations. Certainly not a frame that you would choose if you are looking for comfort but it's not really harsh on the arms. Of course, only constant use over time would tell me how it affects health. Drop shots suffered just like the volleys. There is absolutely no feel on this one that reconfirms my faith in thin beam racquets.

Overall: Not a bad frame for someone who was born after 1990. If you've never used a thin beam old school graphite racquet, go for this one. This has surely been made to fit today's gamestyle - baseline bashing, extreme spin and 22 inch hollywood hogan biceps... I'd give it a 70/100 but that's just my view. :p

ClayisFun
10-26-2007, 11:15 PM
I have to agree with everything you said. I especially love your born after 1990 comment. I never thought I'd feel old at 24:), but western forehands and no volleys make it seem like I watched Sampras in another lifetime.

vndesu
10-27-2007, 11:39 PM
i suggest yu try roddicks strings setup
pro hurricanes tour by babolat natural gut at 65 by 64.
these strings makes the racket really come alive

Micky
10-28-2007, 03:08 PM
i suggest yu try roddicks strings setup
pro hurricanes tour by babolat natural gut at 65 by 64.
these strings makes the racket really come alive

I did have a different string setup with my PD+C. But you are right...with the right strings this racquet is just perfect. And I was born in 1963.

TennisMD
10-28-2007, 03:34 PM
I have had quite a different experience. I was first tuned into this rkt by 5.5 teaching pro who went on to win states at the 5.5 level. It is fantastic for serves, flat, slice and top. I am puzzeled by your comment the round beam allowed it to twist in your hands, beam and handle not related, maybe the grip was the wrong size. Ground strokes a dream punishing and deep and very heavy, I do hit with alot of top spin. Although I do hit with a 2 handed bh, I will employ slice to change it up and when pulled wide, found thePDR+ quite an effective slicing rkt, of course I have found stiff rkts with decent swing weight to be my best slicing rkts. Only concern I have had was arm saftey and this to I think I have laid to rest as playing the PDR+ for 11 mos now, with occassional diversions to demo land, like all of us here on the brds

pham4313
10-28-2007, 06:19 PM
how stiff is this racket compared to older model? Does cortex help with bad vibration?

vkartikv
10-28-2007, 06:58 PM
TennisMD, I too wondered what it was about this frame that didn't let me find my flat serves. And then I read this bit from the Flexpoint Radical Tour review by Josh (TW reviewer):
"The more open string pattern matched with the larger head size seemed to work against my flat first serve."

I think that this has to do with racquet history more than anything else. Having used denser string pattern-thin box beam racquets, I felt that the PDC+ was not suited for flat serves but perhaps that's something that will change over time.

I didn't demo this with the intention of buying one or using this in the future. I haven't tried the non-cortex version either. I was just curious as to what babolat has to offer :)

johnkidd
10-28-2007, 07:58 PM
I'm using the non Cortex version (have since Jan '03) and I'm considering switching to the Cortex version since it seems Babolat is phasing out this version. Have anyone else made this switch and what did they think?

TennisMD
10-29-2007, 08:07 PM
I played with the non cortex version in the + size, non cortex lighter, less solid in feeling, could whip the non cortex around a bit faster but still think I hit a heavier ball with the cortex, ie thePDR+, matter of Sw and swing speed, if you can swing the heavier SW around fast a heavier ball will result, also believe the cortex adds to the arm comfort

johnkidd
10-30-2007, 08:44 AM
I played with the non cortex version in the + size, non cortex lighter, less solid in feeling, could whip the non cortex around a bit faster but still think I hit a heavier ball with the cortex, ie thePDR+, matter of Sw and swing speed, if you can swing the heavier SW around fast a heavier ball will result, also believe the cortex adds to the arm comfort

I have lead added to my PD+ at 9/12/3 o'clock.

ionutzakis
10-31-2007, 01:44 AM
don't switch to cortex! they are nothing alike

vndesu
10-31-2007, 07:42 PM
to me there wasnt a differnece between cortex and non cortex.
i have both models and they are about equal. today i just broke my strings on my non cortex and i liked it alot.
but the 100 sq in doesnt fit me since ive been using 95 and below b4 i got back to babolat so i think imma stay with aerogel 200 :]

johnkidd
11-01-2007, 06:01 AM
to me there wasnt a differnece between cortex and non cortex.
i have both models and they are about equal. today i just broke my strings on my non cortex and i liked it alot.
but the 100 sq in doesnt fit me since ive been using 95 and below b4 i got back to babolat so i think imma stay with aerogel 200 :]

What size are the grips on your Babolat's and would you consider selling them?

tdk
11-01-2007, 06:39 AM
Interesting thread. I have the PD+ but Im not really sure its the right stick for me. Im not getting any good first serves with it like on my old Wilson Hammer Tour armed with lead lead and lead. Also my ground strokes are often long so I have had to change my grip from E to E/SW whatever that is. Anybody know which Babolat would be better for first serves. I have been thinking a bit about the Roddic + model. Any thaughts?

johnkidd
11-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Interesting thread. I have the PD+ but Im not really sure its the right stick for me. Im not getting any good first serves with it like on my old Wilson Hammer Tour armed with lead lead and lead. Also my ground strokes are often long so I have had to change my grip from E to E/SW whatever that is. Anybody know which Babolat would be better for first serves. I have been thinking a bit about the Roddic + model. Any thaughts?

TDK-Have you added any lead? That helps quite a bit with these frames. Also what type of sting do you use? They can be strung up to 65 lbs. If you use the recommended tension that is there to maximize the effect of the Woofer Grommets which also tends to fly the ball a bit.

tdk
11-01-2007, 09:03 AM
TDK-Have you added any lead? That helps quite a bit with these frames. Also what type of sting do you use? They can be strung up to 65 lbs. If you use the recommended tension that is there to maximize the effect of the Woofer Grommets which also tends to fly the ball a bit.
No lead tape yet. Were do you reccomend I put some led tape?

johnkidd
11-01-2007, 10:52 AM
No lead tape yet. Were do you reccomend I put some led tape?

This is what I have found works for me. Granted I do not have the exact specs on what this does, I go more off the feel.

I would start with lead at 3 and 9 o'clock. I vary it on where it is at and how much I add based on feel. Currently I have it a bit closer to the top then the throat. For me this is still a bit light so I add some at the top under the bumper guard.

As for tension, if I'm using a synthetic gut I vary it from 62-64 lbs. I tried my Pro Redcode in the lows 60's so next string job will be about 58 lbs because it took a few more hits then I like to get it to where it felt comfortable. When I've used Kirschbaum or Luxilon I've kept them in the high 50's as well (Going on the 5 to 10% reduction for using a poly type string). From my experience a 5 lb reduction works from the Syn Gut tension.

Mister G
11-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Odd that people are having problems with their flat serve.. Im having trouble with my kick serve with this stick.. My flats are just fine :confused:

johnkidd
11-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Odd that people are having problems with their flat serve.. Im having trouble with my kick serve with this stick.. My flats are just fine :confused:

I'd agree here. I used the Prince Speedport Black a few times and I got great kick with that frame. I couldn't hit the big flat one down the T as well. I've hit with a few other frames in the almost 5 years I've been using the PD+, and I found several that did some things better then the PD+, but overall this rackets seems to do everything well for me.