PDA

View Full Version : Agree me? Nike should start racquet line

JacKKyKung
10-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Nike can make graphite golf club, so i believe they can produce & develope good rac'.

sureshs
10-27-2007, 08:51 AM
Since Wilson makes shoes, no reason why Nike should not make racquets.

In)SpiRe
10-27-2007, 08:54 AM
Since Wilson makes shoes, no reason why Nike should not make racquets.

QFT XD hahahahah.

alcap26
10-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Nike does not make the graphite shafts they are sourced out from another company. Nike does not "make" them they just put them together.

brayman9
10-27-2007, 09:14 AM
wouldn't say i would buy one but i think they would get alot off sales from rec. players because nike is such a well known name.

tbini87
10-27-2007, 09:18 AM
i don't think nike really makes their golf stuff, but puts their name on it. and they went out and pretty much copied mizuno irons that tiger used to play with so that they could put their nike swoosh on it and say that tiger uses nike irons. but there is a lot of competition in the racquet industry, and they prob don't feel the need to try to break into it. i agree that they would prob get plenty of sales out of it, but prob not from advanced players looking at more expensive sticks. they are prob just happy with making a KILLING with their tennis shoes and apparel.

vsbabolat
10-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Just a FYI Wilson, Prince, Volkl/Boris Becker, Dunlop, Head, Babolat, Tecnifibre, Fischer, Avery, Gamma, and Weed don't make tennis racquets. For many years now these companies have hired a OEM in China to manufacture the racquets for them. Those name brand companies are only in the Tennis racquet design and Tennis racquet marketing business. The only company left that designs, manufactures, and market Tennis racquets is Yonex. Yonex is the only racquet company left that has retained it's own factory in-house in Japan.

Nike could have a racquet line if they desired. It would just be a matter of Nike hiring racquet designers, hiring a OEM in China, and Marketing the racquets. Look what Babolat did with a racquet line the last 13 years and what Babolat racquets since thier introduction in the U.S.A. market since 1999.

sargeinaz
10-27-2007, 09:42 AM
I dont think they should. Let the racket companies make rackets and let nike make clothes.
________
xSugarGirlx (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/xSugarGirlx/)

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
10-27-2007, 09:53 AM
A few years back, I saw an AD for a Nike racket but nothing ever came of it... :confused:

HyperHorse
10-27-2007, 10:29 AM
No, I don't agree you. :-P

GoochMoney
10-27-2007, 10:47 AM
i don't think nike really makes their golf stuff, but puts their name on it. and they went out and pretty much copied mizuno irons that tiger used to play with so that they could put their nike swoosh on it and say that tiger uses nike irons. but there is a lot of competition in the racquet industry, and they prob don't feel the need to try to break into it. i agree that they would prob get plenty of sales out of it, but prob not from advanced players looking at more expensive sticks. they are prob just happy with making a KILLING with their tennis shoes and apparel.

fyi - nike copied tiger's titleist tour model irons. there is way more competition and revenue associated with selling golf equipment. IMO the market for tennis sticks is just not big enough for nike.

bubbatex
10-27-2007, 11:20 AM
fyi - nike copied tiger's titleist tour model irons. there is way more competition and revenue associated with selling golf equipment. IMO the market for tennis sticks is just not big enough for nike.

Exactly - If Federer was an American, might be a different story.

Nike designs their own golf clubs (they actually bought out a boutique golf club design company in Ft. Worth to get things rolling), but just like everyone else in the golf industry, the actual production is in Asia. Just like the tennis market and almost every thing else!

Michelangelo
10-27-2007, 12:47 PM
And the fate of Nike racquets would be similar to those of Adidas?

NoBadMojo
10-27-2007, 01:12 PM
I've posted this before, but will post again. Nike was looking into getting into the racquet biz back near the end of the hey day of tennis in the US. It was propsed the flagship of the line be P-Macs racquet (a totally custom mold based on the ps85), and it would have been a J-Mac Autograph. Black, J-Macs Auto, and the swoosh. Phil Knight <the President back then> was willing to give it a go, but the idea got shot down by the Board. If they didnt do it back when tennis was still booming, dont know why they would do it now, but anything can be possible.

AceofBase
10-27-2007, 01:20 PM
They should since Dunlop maded alot of thing like, car tires, and etc... and its wouldnt mind making racket since adidas maded some racket too in the old day. What i think is that if any company that deal with sport stuff should at least try to acomplish everything in that sport catalgue, cause its sport.

fuzz nation
10-27-2007, 02:59 PM
All I've heard from a couple of guys who work in the industry is that getting into the whole rat race of trying to make a buck in the racquet business these days is just a nightmare. I'm sure Nike would have jumped in if the potential was there.

neo
10-27-2007, 03:09 PM
All I've heard from a couple of guys who work in the industry is that getting into the whole rat race of trying to make a buck in the racquet business these days is just a nightmare.
Sounds strange considering they sell for US$200 a racket which costs about US$10 to produce in China.

I'm sure Nike would have jumped in if the potential was there.
Nike stays focused on it's core (and very profitable) business. And that is the right thing to do.

tbini87
10-27-2007, 03:41 PM

oops, sorry. i just remember him using mizuno's mp 33s or 14s or something similar throughout college.

bubbatex
10-27-2007, 07:32 PM
oops, sorry. i just remember him using mizuno's mp 33s or 14s or something similar throughout college.

he did....and Titleist copied them for him...

anirut
10-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Jackky, how's you senior project going' ??

I wouldn't be surprised if Nike sticks sell for $250 and still sell like landslide, as to be bought by wannabes.

JacKKyKung
10-28-2007, 03:00 AM
Jackky, how's you senior project going' ??

I wouldn't be surprised if Nike sticks sell for $250 and still sell like landslide, as to be bought by wannabes.

Thanks, P'anirut. I'm waiting for last testing with lung cancer cell. Then i'll send my APD to you for surgical modify hehe.

PS. How was thermaxe 123?

ขอบ่นหน่อยเหอะพี่ เพื่อนร่วมโปรเจคแม่งไม่ทำงานเลย ปล่อยให้ผมทำคนเดียวเลยอ่ะ เซ็งๆ ไหนจะต้องทำรูปเล่มอีก เฮ่อ โทดทีครับ บู๊ไปหน่อย อิอิ

Fedexeon
10-28-2007, 03:21 AM
Nike is selling their ice hockey department... What makes you think that they will start selling tennis racquets?

Jonnyf
10-28-2007, 03:36 AM
If they felt they could break the market,Nike would have sticks out in weeks. They must think their isn't a big enough market or that they cannot get anyone with a big enough rep.to promote a players racket

classic tennis
10-28-2007, 04:23 AM
They should since Dunlop maded alot of thing like, car tires, and etc... and its wouldnt mind making racket since adidas maded some racket too in the old day. What i think is that if any company that deal with sport stuff should at least try to acomplish everything in that sport catalgue, cause its sport.

Dunlop tires (& other products) have nothing to do with Dunlop sports, it is not & has not been the same for over 20 years. Sports World a discount mass market chain in the UK own Dunlop sports, Donnay, Lonsdale etc ....etc...
Nike were testing racquets in the late 80's but scrapped it because the market was (& still is) in decline.

PROTENNIS63
10-28-2007, 04:27 AM
Nike should just stick with the clothes. Perhaps they can lower the price a few bucks on some of the shirts :D

GoochMoney
10-28-2007, 06:41 AM
Sounds strange considering they sell for US$200 a racket which costs about US$10 to produce in China.

Nike stays focused on it's core (and very profitable) business. And that is the right thing to do.

$190 per racquet is nice but not if you only sell 50,000 of them. I don't think Nike is in the business of breaking even.

It would be interesting to see if someone knew the units sold by racquet companies...not even by model.

Wilson -- 100,000
Head -- 80,000

?? anybody know this info?

JacKKyKung
10-28-2007, 12:17 PM
Nike is selling their ice hockey department... What makes you think that they will start selling tennis racquets?

I've said "should start" not "will start". I'm stick in nike brand(royalty) and believe in word "JUST DO IT". It's my opinion,thanks for all comments.
:D

El Diablo
10-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Strange thread. Suggests "Nike should make racquet line" but no mention of what Nike would bring to the industry that isn't already available. Just another brand selling the same basic product as everyone else? Who cares?