PDA

View Full Version : Federer racquet hoax?

LafayetteHitter
10-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Breakpoint will be the best for observing this one i'm sure. There is a seller at the auction site right now that has what he calls a custom mold Federer racquet. Some of his data in the write up is inaccurate and misleading in my opinion. Has anyone else seen the listing. This is the third time i've seen someone selling what they call a racquet that is very special and made for Federer based on it having a "longer pallet"? Seems bogus to me but the thing is already getting quite a few bids in less than a day.

kingdaddy41788
10-27-2007, 12:49 PM
I think Fed's would have a shorter pallet anyway lol

Can you give us a link to the auction?

LafayetteHitter
10-27-2007, 12:51 PM
When I first saw it I e-mailed the seller telling him that the info stating the PS85 had an 18X20 pattern was wrong. He also says this one is so unique since it is a 90 with a 16X19 which is standard on the Tour 90 anyways. The info is still there and the seller never responded after a day.

Not sure if it will get deleted from here but it's : 230184781401
Just trying to prevent one of my fellow board members from getting taken as it looks like BS.

sureshs
10-27-2007, 12:55 PM
"This should be worth a lot, as this model of racquet isn't mass produced, but specifically customed for federer. This is federer's current racquet through a paintjob that was a precursor to the now kfactor paintjob and before the ncode paintjob."

"Especially since Federer did not use the ncode (shorter pallet) nor is he using the K-Factor (different buttcap). They're paintjobs, a common occurrence in the tennis world."

sureshs
10-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Breakpoint will be the best for observing this one i'm sure.

You expect him to give an unbiased opinion on an item about which the seller says that Fed is not using the K90?

kingdaddy41788
10-27-2007, 12:57 PM
It would appear to me that if you look closely, I think he's just shaved down the grip foam to make it look like the Federer one. Near the top of the grip the racquet seems to take an odd shape... And he talks about Fed having a different butt cap like that means something. I have a different butt cap on one of my heads because I had to replace a cracked one. Everyone should steer clear of this.

sureshs
10-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Agreed, the butt cap comment gave it all up. No serious guy would claim it is not a K90 based on butt cap.

LafayetteHitter
10-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Anyone that could get there hands on a pro room racquet first off would have a scale for accurate measurements. He states "over 12 ounces for sure" and then says he doesn't know how to measure the balance. I have numerous pro room frames from different companies. Each of them are precisely labeled with "exact" info.

leonardtay
10-27-2007, 01:16 PM
The only thing I find really strange about that frame is the string pattern. It is 16 x 19 but there are 5 holes at the PWS area, whereas Federer has 4. Other than that, everything looks on the up and up. The grip shape is a little different from the retail as well.

TheNatural
10-27-2007, 02:04 PM
I just noticed that the seller of that racket bought this one for $715:

was this item a real federer racket?

LafayetteHitter
10-27-2007, 02:10 PM
It's interesting that he bought that one which was listed as an actual Federer racquet having a "shorter" pallet for one handed use. Yet his listing has a "longer" pallet. Interesting

BreakPoint
10-27-2007, 03:08 PM
I don't buy it. Anyone can take a retail PS Tour 90 and have a new shorter handle remolded on it. What you can't do is to re-drill it with a new string pattern as the old stringholes are already there, and this racquet has the retail string pattern with 5 crosses at the PWS.

And I really wish people would stop bringing up butt caps as an indicator of paintjobs or anything else. The butt cap is not part of the frame itself and is an interchangable part that's just stapled onto the bottom of the handle. It's no different than the strings or the overgrip or the replacement grip as none of these things give any indication of what the frame itself really is.

tennis_nerd22
10-27-2007, 03:09 PM
soem stupid person is going to end up buying it, and i think its up the to TTW members to save him from the abis!!! haha noo but seriously someone (probably you lafayette, since you know the most about it) should tell **** and get that auction deleted.

leonardtay
10-27-2007, 04:15 PM
It's interesting that he bought that one which was listed as an actual Federer racquet having a "shorter" pallet for one handed use. Yet his listing has a "longer" pallet. Interesting

The N6.1 Tour 90 has a long pallet as well. I think perhaps you mix up the pallet with the grip. The second listing is probably a original.

LafayetteHitter
10-27-2007, 04:26 PM
The description of the N61 that he bought states that this version "FED's" racquet has a special shorter grip pallet for one handers whereas his frame that is currently selling the PS90 states it's Fed's racquet because it has a longer grip? In the pics of the N61 in the old ad for which he purchased the shorter grip frame is the one being sold.

trextasy
10-27-2007, 04:31 PM
I know the original seller of that racket and have held that specific racket in my hand , its the real deal, he works in the industry and has many pros customized frames.

LafayetteHitter
10-27-2007, 04:50 PM
but he doesn't have a scale or know how to determine balance?

MichaelChang
10-27-2007, 04:53 PM
there is one simple fact that, pallets or handle are easily customizable. I am sure RPNY or such could make a handle slightly longer or short, as long as you pay. I don't think just the handle or pallets could be an indication of whether the stick is for Fed or not.

kingdaddy41788
10-27-2007, 05:10 PM
I know the original seller of that racket and have held that specific racket in my hand , its the real deal, he works in the industry and has many pros customized frames.

but he doesn't have a scale or know how to determine balance?

I'm pretty sure trextasy is the seller. Anybody with me?

meowmix
10-27-2007, 06:35 PM
I would agree. He/she joined a full year ago but didn't do anything about it? 17 posts to date? Something's wrong but I'm not sure what : (

trextasy
10-27-2007, 06:40 PM
hahaha....i am not the seller....im speaking of the original auction that the racket was sold in ,with alu16l as the seller. Im pretty sure alu16l here is the same guy ....duh. The seller is a master racket technician and knows his business well, the racket is in federers mold, its not weighted like feds or was it ever stated that it was feds racket.

trextasy
10-27-2007, 06:44 PM
I would agree. He/she joined a full year ago but didn't do anything about it? 17 posts to date? Something's wrong but I'm not sure what : (

whoa overdramatic......its he and he is someone who comes here for info and opinions and rarely gives his, therefore doesnt accumulate 1000s of posts but when he reads misinformation regarding a friend of his he steps up to defend him. Thank you.

Michelangelo
10-27-2007, 07:23 PM
1. Yes, the telltale buttcap is the key.
2. Since there's a famous company selling ProStaff Tour 90 on that famous auction site for US$14x.xx, this "custom mold" business might be pretty profitable.
3. Err... I always suspect the longer the pallet, the wrose the touch/feel (especially for me since I prefer more flex around the neck region).

leonardtay
10-27-2007, 08:09 PM
The description of the N61 that he bought states that this version "FED's" racquet has a special shorter grip pallet for one handers whereas his frame that is currently selling the PS90 states it's Fed's racquet because it has a longer grip? In the pics of the N61 in the old ad for which he purchased the shorter grip frame is the one being sold.

Pallet if I understand correctly is the area between the grip and the throat of the racquet. If the grip is longer, than the pallet is shorter. I think that looking at the pictures, you can tell for sure the following:
1. The so called Federer mould Tour 90 being sold has 5 string holes on the PWS area.
2. The seller does not know his racquet nomenclature very well. Hence he mixes up the grip, pallet etc.

leonardtay
10-27-2007, 08:15 PM

Firstly, there are 2 racquets being discussed here. alu161's ex racquet (now owned by lick a kitten) which is an N6.1 Tour 90 which I do believe is a Federer mould racquet and lick a kitten's which is a PS Tour 90, which I do not believe is a Federer mould for the simple reason that the number of holes on the racquet frame do not tally with what Federer was using at the time. Lick a kitten is a collector of racquets and he was the winning bidder for alu161's N6.1 Tour 90 Federer mould racquet. However, he is NOT selling that N6.1 but another different racquet altogehter. Hope this clears up everything.

trextasy
10-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Firstly, there are 2 racquets being discussed here. alu161's ex racquet (now owned by lick a kitten) which is an N6.1 Tour 90 which I do believe is a Federer mould racquet and lick a kitten's which is a PS Tour 90, which I do not believe is a Federer mould for the simple reason that the number of holes on the racquet frame do not tally with what Federer was using at the time. Lick a kitten is a collector of racquets and he was the winning bidder for alu161's N6.1 Tour 90 Federer mould racquet. However, he is NOT selling that N6.1 but another different racquet altogehter. Hope this clears up everything.

Thanks, the racket i was defending was alu16l's not the fake in the second auction

BreakPoint
10-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Pallet if I understand correctly is the area between the grip and the throat of the racquet. If the grip is longer, than the pallet is shorter.
No. The palllet is what forms the handle. A longer pallet mean the handle is longer. The area above the handle is the neck. So if the pallet is shorter then the neck is longer.

BreakPoint
10-27-2007, 09:46 PM
lick a kitten's which is a PS Tour 90, which I do not believe is a Federer mould for the simple reason that the number of holes on the racquet frame do not tally with what Federer was using at the time.
Federer did, in fact, use a PS Tour 90 that had 5 crosses at the PWS for a short period of time before Wilson made him a custom racquet with the PS Tour 90 paintjob with the 4 crosses at the PWS.

However, this does not mean that the PS Tour 90 in the auction is Federer's racquet as, like I said above, anyone can have the handle of their racquet remolded with a shorter pallet.

leonardtay
10-27-2007, 11:25 PM
No. The palllet is what forms the handle. A longer pallet mean the handle is longer. The area above the handle is the neck. So if the pallet is shorter then the neck is longer.

Thanks for the redirection. So in the N6.1 federer mould, the neck is longer than in the retail N6.1 and the pallet is shorter.

alu16L
10-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks, the racket i was defending was alu16l's not the fake in the second auction

trextasy is correct, the racket that I sold on e-bay was the real deal. Thanks for your support.

Azzurri
10-28-2007, 06:24 PM
hahaha....i am not the seller....im speaking of the original auction that the racket was sold in ,with alu16l as the seller. Im pretty sure alu16l here is the same guy ....duh. The seller is a master racket technician and knows his business well, the racket is in federers mold, its not weighted like feds or was it ever stated that it was feds racket.

You should explain the which racquet you are talking about. The Ncode looks legit. I think people misunderstood you to claim the PS Tour 90 was the "real deal" and its not.

LafayetteHitter
10-28-2007, 06:33 PM
Trextasy apparently was speaking of the Ncode 6.1 The racquet from Alu16l was legit.

meowmix
10-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Sorry. I was talking about the racket in the second auction. I didn't realize you were talking about the first. My apologies.

meowmix
10-29-2007, 06:41 PM
You should explain the which racquet you are talking about. The Ncode looks legit. I think people misunderstood you to claim the PS Tour 90 was the "real deal" and its not.

Yeah, I made that mistake.