PDA

View Full Version : 1hbh and 2hbh

yourmom08
10-27-2007, 05:00 PM
i use a 1hbh but felt like hitting with 2 hands today and found out that can do it fairly effectively. Is it a bad idea to pull out the 2hbh in a match to junk my opponent? (the ball has a completely different trajectory depending on which one i use) or would it detract from the effectiveness of my go-to 1hbh? just curious if anybody else switches between the two depending on the circumstance. Thanks all.

fuzz nation
10-29-2007, 01:39 PM
I can hit a worthwhile topspin 1hbh if I have time to set it up, but for driving a return of serve or fighting off a hard shot, I can go to a 2hbh with a much quicker move. I also use a solid one-handed slice with relatively short preparation and since I can place it well, I can use it for defensive and offensive shots.

If you can use both with success, I don't see any reason to cling to just one or the other.

smoothtennis
10-29-2007, 02:19 PM
i use a 1hbh but felt like hitting with 2 hands today and found out that can do it fairly effectively. Is it a bad idea to pull out the 2hbh in a match to junk my opponent? (the ball has a completely different trajectory depending on which one i use) or would it detract from the effectiveness of my go-to 1hbh? just curious if anybody else switches between the two depending on the circumstance. Thanks all.

I used to hit a two hander, but switched to a 1hbh years ago, and never conciously try to hit a two hander. I have noticed, I DO hit a two hander whenever I get a very hard flat shot at my feet about 1 foot off the ground and driving into me. Don't know why, but it just feels very natural. Given any other choice, I would choose only one shot. Since the contact zones are different, timing, and techniques, it is less to think about hitting only one type.

yourmom08
10-29-2007, 02:48 PM
i unfortunately have a terrible habit of returning serves hit to my backhand with a slice because i don't feel i have enough time to set up my backswing and such. This tends to float the ball and its something i was hoping to remedy by hitting with both a 1hbh and a 2hbh because i can make a very short drive with 2 hands. Thanks for responding guys

fuzz nation
10-30-2007, 08:02 AM
I think that the slice bh return is worth developing - if you're floating it too much, that can be fixed so that the ball flies lower without sitting up. If I want to put an attacking server on the defensive, my best return option is often a slice that they have to pick out of their shoelaces - it often forces a serve and volleyer to hit up and give me a sitter. It's good to also have a hard drive so that your returns aren't completely predictable (a very good thing in doubles), but my name isn't Andre and I need a high percentge return on my bh wing. For me, the slice return isn't flashy, but it's rock-solid.