PDA

View Full Version : Switching back and forth between open stance and closed...bad?

soggyramen
10-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Ok so i'm mainly a clay court 4.5 player who likes to play singles and doubles. in doubles i use a very closed stance always but that's not what i'm worried about.

in singles i mainly play open stanced as i play plenty of hard hitting opponents and don't always have time to go into a closed stance unless i wanna miss the ball. i've found it to have less power but much more control and angle for when players come to net i paint the lines with heavy topspin similar to nadal and the angles he gets. when i do get time though i close my stance and go for powerful winners. is it bad to play in a open stance. the big reason why i have to play in open stance though is i have terrible reflexes which make it hard for me to quickly react to returned shots

racquet_jedi
10-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Is it bad to have a hybrid of strings if you like it?

I'm pretty sure that most people that play tennis use an open stance for their forehands...

Slazenger
10-27-2007, 07:42 PM
I find this a very weird question for a 4.5 player to ask. I mean at that level it is pretty much impossible to be able to hit all shots closed stance. You answered your own question when you say you close your stance when you have enough time to actually step in, so a slower pace or shorter ball.

There is nothing bad about switching btw open and closed/square stances as the ball dictates. You should do so.

soggyramen
10-27-2007, 07:58 PM
I find this a very weird question for a 4.5 player to ask. I mean at that level it is pretty much impossible to be able to hit all shots closed stance. You answered your own question when you say you close your stance when you have enough time to actually step in, so a slower pace or shorter ball.

There is nothing bad about switching btw open and closed/square stances as the ball dictates. You should do so.

i've just never thought about it until now i made the transition when i was about a 3.5 and never really asked until now. i notice a lot of guys i played with though (mid to strong 4.0s) still played with a relatively closed stance so that really brought it to my attention. but you're right if it ain't broke and it works don't mess with it.

Bagumbawalla
10-28-2007, 12:42 PM
I agree with the general thrust of these answers. It makes sense ro have an ideal plaing style, but it also makes sense that there are times when you are not able to achieve the ideal and take the shots as best you are able.

If on the otherhand, you go long stretches, hitting shots that are FAR below your ideal-- hitting late, off tthe wrong foot, off balance, choppy strokes, and so on-- in that case, I would have to say you have some work to do.