PDA

View Full Version : aerogel 200 is awesome

ProStaff Legend
10-27-2007, 10:24 PM
UPDATE: added 2g of lead tape to the 3/9 to make the stringbed less tinny and add some pop. all the updated info will be in red

been hitting with the aerogel 200 and i must say that it is a very impressive racquet. it was a demo strung with factory strings (i;d assume dunlop synth 16 most likely at middle tension 60). heres a small review

FOREHANDS:
the power level was perfect. i had no trouble hitting deep into my opponents court. topspin was definitely lacking but it was not a problem because the lack of power made it almost impossible to over-hit. the control was amazing. i could easily crush the ball crosscourt or slap the ball down the line. slice forehands stayed low and bit deep into the court.

Unfortunately the lead tape ruined my experience in this category. where the control and power used to be perfect, i found it to a touch bit too much power with the added weight. occasionally i felt the extra power was useful but most of the time it was abit annoying, the ball often landing out by mere inches. only slice forehands benefited, landing deeper with extra pace but with a touch less spin.

BACKHANDS:
at first, the lack of power was annoying on the backhand side. everything was falling short. but after some adjustments and time, i was able to comfortable keep the ball deep. i tend to hit flat this wing so i didnt notice a lack of topspin. though not as much as a weapon as my forehand, backhands were very predictable and consistent. control again was very good. slice backhands were also very enjoyable as on the forehand

with this racquet, i prefer using my 1hbh as opposed to 2. it was just more comfortable to do so for me. maybe with some more time, i will be able to use 2 hands more comfortable.

unlike with the forehand, my backhand enjoyed the extra power. i got used to the racquet some more so i started using 2 hands again with good results (1 handers downtheline were still very enjoyable). the power was very useful in keeping the ball deep and on putaway shots. slice BHs were affected the same way forehands were

VOLLEYS:
crisp and precise. volleys were very stable. the racquets control was definitely most noticeable at the net. both forehands and backhands came off the stringbed with good pace and placement. touch isnt a big part of my game so i hav get to try any dropshots or dropvolleys.

something i noticed: as opposed to TW specs, i found this racquet to be very manueverable. i would get the swingweight to be closer to 320 than 331

the manueverability definitely increased but the racquet was more stable and the extra power only added to the volleys' deadliness. unlike the forehands, the extra pace did not affect the control and made volleys even more enjoyable with the extra pop. the racquet was abit less mobile but it was not much of a problem

SERVES:
here is where i most felt the lack of spin and power. my first serves felt like they lost alot of pace. second serves became alot flatter than usual. the lack of power however made my serves most consistent and got more 1st serves in than with my PS95.

here is where i enjoyed the extra weight. power on serves was better. still not as fast as my serves with the PS95 but the power level is something i can sacrifice for consistency.

FEEL:
a very comfortable racquet. the racquet flexed just the right amount. one thing i noticed was that the racquet felt the most flexible at the upperhoop. i did not think the M-fil at the 3/9 really help at all. in fact, i feel that the m-fil made it abit more tinny in the sweetspot. oddly, the m-fil200 was one of the few racquets that gave me any pain in my arm. just me i guess

the lead tape really helped with the tinny feel that i would feel occasionally. the sweetspot became more springy but its not a problem

CONCLUSION:
definitely an awesome racquet. i think if it were strung with a thinner feel string like a multi or gut, it would be even better

the lead tape helped with backhands, volleys, serves, and feel but my primary weapon (forehand) suffered. either i can try using only 1g or i can string with something thinner help increase the spin potential.

i will most likely switch to this racquet in the future. i will continue to play with the AG200 and update this review if i notice any changes. i will try adding a bit of lead tape to see if i can make the sweetspot less tinny.

vndesu
10-27-2007, 10:34 PM
i agree with yu on everything.
for future refrence yu should try adding a leather grip on the racket and using topspin cyberflashes at 58
i highly suggest that yu should try this setup

ProStaff Legend
10-27-2007, 11:23 PM
thanks vndesu. i think i'll stick with hydramax tour as a grip cuz im addicted to softer feel of synthetic grips now. wont be using polys anymore cuz im also addicted to better feel of nylons (thinking of gut)

vndesu
10-27-2007, 11:42 PM
ahah for gut i really recomend either using the babolat tonics or sampras strings or babolat vs natural gut team 17g
i think sampras' strings wud cost too much tho hahaa

crosscourt
10-28-2007, 01:25 AM
I started to play with the AG200 this spring and loved it. Having experimented with bigger headed rackets -- PDR, APC, Head Extreme Pro -- which make serving and hitting forehands easy, I wanted to find a racket that was a good fit for my 1hbh as well as the rest of my game. I tried the DNX10 mid and the AG200. They are both very good rackets for my game, and in the end I settled on the AG200. I prefer the denser pattern and the bigger head. Then I went to play on clay for a while and found that I needed some more power, so I decided to experiment and had the DNX10s -- already more powerful than the AG200 -- weighted up. Back on the hard courts I found the DNX10s -- at around 375 grams and sw of 350 -- too heavy, so I have had the AG200s modified. I have had leather grips in size 2 put on. With an overgrip, both rackets are now weighted at 355grams strung and 7 points headlight. The swing weight is 328. This is proving an excellent set up for hard court play. I use the "Federer hybrid" -- gut mains and alu power crosses. I find that this combination gives me incredible grip on the ball. If like me you try to use all the strings to put spin on the ball, then the more strings the better and the combibation of alu power and the dense string bed is something else.

I had my rackets customised professionally. What I have found in the customisation of both the Volkls and the Dunlops is that rackets of the same type are very different in their actual specs. If you look at where the lead has been added to my rackets you will see that it is in very different places.

Anyway, if you do change to the AG200 you are getting a very good racket. Try the alu power/gut string job -- it works very well in this racket.

cc

ProStaff Legend
10-28-2007, 10:07 AM
i;ve added 2 grams of lead (8 inches of .25" tape) to the 3/9. im hoping this will make the sweetspot less tinny and add a touch more power to my serves. im probably gonna go and hit this afternoon

tarie
10-28-2007, 11:39 AM
I've played with the 16*19 and I found it awsome too.Maybe it will need some lead tape but now it's ok this way.
What would be your set up?I was thinking 3:

1-Signum Pro Plasma Hextreme 1.25 (full job)
2-Multifilament full job(dont know which one..)
3-Hybrid with Gosen OG micro+SPP Hextreme

what do you think?

tarie
10-28-2007, 11:47 AM
I've played with the 16*19 and I found it awsome too.Maybe it will need some lead tape but now it's ok this way.
What would be your set up?I was thinking 3:

1-Signum Pro Plasma Hextreme 1.25 (full job)
2-Multifilament full job(dont know which one..)
3-Hybrid with Gosen OG micro+SPP Hextreme

what do you think?

I forgot to say I'am a 4.5,male,24 year's old,2hbh.I use top spin just to hold ball in.
And off course a full job of multi only if I'm gonna play less than 3 times a week.
But right now consider I'm gonna play 3-4 times a week.

crosscourt
10-28-2007, 02:08 PM
I can't help you with the Gosen or the Signum. I have never played them. I did try a full multifilament job inthe AG200. It didn't work as well for me as the alu power/gut combination. Less feel and less grip.

cc

tarie
10-28-2007, 02:11 PM
I can't help you with the Gosen or the Signum. I have never played them. I did try a full multifilament job inthe AG200. It didn't work as well for me as the alu power/gut combination. Less feel and less grip.

cc

ok thanks!
I don't think I will ever gonna play gut or luxilon,in italy they're too much expansive!

Krazyplayinazn
10-28-2007, 07:12 PM
i also used to play with the pro staff 95, i loved it and was just demoing for fun and came across this racket. I loved it and bought it. never looked back. I know play with big banger touch 65 mains and 63 crosses. its amazing.

I'm a power player so i needed something to dampen it a little. its a little heavier than the PS so that was also a :mrgreen: Everybody should get this racket. its definately a players racket

ProStaff Legend
10-29-2007, 01:39 PM
update added. see original post