PDA

View Full Version : 1980s Racquets... and Website

Deuce
10-28-2007, 12:57 AM
I stumbled upon this website, and wanted to share it with those of you who don't know it.

The focus of the website seems to be racquets from the 1980s.
Viewing some of the photos of and ads for those racquets has brought me right back to my parent's living room 25 years ago, where I used to dream of buying these gems. It's amazing what vivid memories a mere photo can provoke.

The website also has some match and tournament statistics from the 80s for selected players, including head to head results.

All in all, a nice stroll down memory lane...

http://www.80s-tennis.com/index.html (http://www.80s-tennis.com/index.html)

vsdtrek
10-28-2007, 05:46 AM
Really cool site - thanks a lot for posting. For awhile, I had every reveiw from Tennis World. I also used to take the adds from the magazine and pick the ones I was going to buy. It was between an Edge TXE, 200G, Adidas GTX Pro and a Kneissel Aero. I ended up buying the Aero because I demo'd so well with it. NEver did realy play that great with it once I bought it and gave it to my Dad. I then bought a Dunlop black max.

Very first one was a Head LC we bought at some closeout sale at a motel for $7. The thing was aluminum and fiberglass. Too small of a sweetspot and way too much flex.

Klatu Verata Necktie
10-28-2007, 07:55 AM
Great site. Thanks for posting, Duece!

I thought the "Oddish Racquets" section was especially interesting and entertaining.

bubbatex
10-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Can't tell you how many times I went to the local tennis shop to buy the Donnay Borg Pro - I loved the looks of that racket - but alias, I never hit well with it!

Ah, the Head Professional Al - I remember it well with the red yoke. I actually bent mine in a mad tirade one day.....

Great site, I was just thinking such a site the other day. I knew one existed, just had not taken the time to google it yet.

drakulie
10-28-2007, 08:19 AM
Awesome site. Thanks for sharing it Deuce!

Morpheus
10-28-2007, 08:23 AM
I used to use the Donnay--really cool black with color--but I honestly can't remember that it had the Borg name so prominently displayed on the tip. Does anyone know if that graphic was added later when Borg was so dominant?

Morpheus
10-28-2007, 08:27 AM
BTW, I still have one of my Prince Pros (all black aluminum 110 si head), which I used in competitive college play, and it weighs in right around 13 oz. I don't know if I could play with that unstable beast today.

TheNatural
10-28-2007, 09:56 AM
does anyone know how many square inches the head was on all those becker rackets?

BounceHitBounceHit
10-28-2007, 10:46 AM
There is a Head Professional (ie the 'Red Head') nestled in my locker right now. Maybe I will string it up upon my return! ;) CC

BreakPoint
10-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Yes, I've seen that site before. It's really cool that someone took the time to build it. Some really good stuff on there that brings back memories. :D

robby c
10-28-2007, 11:12 AM
90 sq in. A player on my 1991 USTA League team played the Estusa Becker. I thought it played similar to the Wilson Prostaff. Back then I was strictly a Prince Graphite player. I played the Prince Pro in college from 81-85.
Robby C

bubbatex
10-28-2007, 11:17 AM
There is a Head Professional (ie the 'Red Head') nestled in my locker right now. Maybe I will string it up upon my return! ;) CC

Oh I would LOVE to have one again! I loved that racket but blamed many bad shots on it and not on the true reason - ME!

TheNatural
10-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Thanks His racket head looked pretty huge on tv.:D :D

90 sq in. A player on my 1991 USTA League team played the Estusa Becker. I thought it played similar to the Wilson Prostaff. Back then I was strictly a Prince Graphite player. I played the Prince Pro in college from 81-85.
Robby C

galain
10-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Thank you Deuce - thank you. What wonderful memories that site brought back for me.

Martingale
10-28-2007, 01:10 PM
The site is run by Jens, a truly friendly and nice tennis fanatic, in the best sense. I had some questions on some rackets in the past, and he was answering them very patiently. He also was very informed.

I did beg him to add a 90s section to it, but so far he did not have the time I reckon. He does have 90s material as well. I hope it is not only because this would become sort of a misnomer. Perhaps with enough pressure from this thread...

Morpheus
10-28-2007, 03:34 PM
^^ I'd like to see a 70s section!

rorschack
10-28-2007, 08:51 PM
What a trip! Look at Steffi Graf's 80's ad in long sleeve and blue jean! LOL

Azzurri
10-29-2007, 06:25 AM
Great site..thanks Deuce. Graf looks pretty cute in hers jeans. Very interesting stories about the players and their raquets.

CGMemphis
12-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Awesome site, thanks for sharing. I still have my old blue and yellow Donnay that I hit with from time to time. Great ste bringing back the memories.

CAM178
12-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Cool site. Thanks for posting this. I can't believe that they didn't have my Wilson Ultra II in there. They had a European version, but it looked nothing like my model.

crashbuilder
12-11-2007, 05:19 AM
A trip down memory lane ...

I played with a couple of those: Fisher Penta-Mid, Donnay allwood, Wilson Cobra and Sting

shell
12-11-2007, 05:45 AM
Ahhhh....rememering the good ole days. Red head and graphite edge (they had to say graphite back then!) bring back memories. I was all over the place with racquets, but those two stand out. Along with my JK autograph woodie, which was retro even then.

Thanks for sharing the site.

hrstrat57
12-19-2007, 07:00 PM
fun site....I sure have swung my fair share of history sticks over the years.....and remember being accused of using cheater technology on more than 1 occasion...wilson ps 85 for starters....