PDA

View Full Version : Wilson PS85 SV and Ultra 2 (pics)

KristianAberg
10-28-2007, 08:29 AM
Since I was a kid, my dad has always been fiercly convinced (and convincing...) that Wilson basically is the only brand of racquets that are really good In the middle of the 80's he had a Prince Pro (110 sqi) that his tennis students at the time gave him in appreciation as a christmas gift. He had been playing the Wilson Jack Kramer autograph for several years before that and never really liked the big Prince steel/aluminum racquet. So then He visited our local tennis store and picked up a second hand Wilson Ultra 2! I haven't played that racquet in 15 years or so but I remember it as very stiff with a very small sweetspot.

Pretty soon after that he ordered 2 Wilson ProStaff (85 SV) from the USA. I remember that they cost $120 each which was about half of the price that we would pay for them in Sweden (where we live).

I still played some old Prince junior racquet and since I didn't have enogh money to buy a ProStaff, I got a Wilson Staff instead which I got for a really good discount where we lived at the time. Does anyone remember those gray Staffs in 100% graphite? I never saw anyone else using those...it was actually a really nice racquet. As I remember it, the Staff was not as stiff as the ProStaff and a little less stable. Anyway, I broke the racquet (smashing it after being defeatd in a local tennis match...I was a very furious kid at the time...). So I also ended up with 2 PS85 (also SV). I remember that I a/b tested my dad's ProStaffs against a Prince Original Graphite (or was it Graphite 2?) and I didn't want to disappoint my dad by buying Prince racquets that he really hated :p so I chose the ProStaffs.

I lived a year in the USA in high school (Somerst, KY) and I really felt that the PS85's were too hard to handle so I ordered a couple of ProStaff Original 6.1 110 sqi and these are the racquets that I still use today.

Anyway, just a nostalgic story about nostalgic racquets. I visited my parents the other day and picked up his old ProStaffs and the Ultra 2 so I can test them again after all these years, and I took a couple of pics to share with you guys. The St. Vincent tag is still left on one of the racquets and they are in really really good shape!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/cy_berg/Tennis/245-4518_IMG.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/cy_berg/Tennis/245-4519_IMG.jpg

KristianAberg
10-28-2007, 08:29 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/cy_berg/Tennis/245-4520_IMG.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/cy_berg/Tennis/245-4524_IMG.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/cy_berg/Tennis/245-4521_IMG.jpg

KristianAberg
10-28-2007, 08:30 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/cy_berg/Tennis/245-4529_IMG.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/cy_berg/Tennis/245-4525_IMG.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/cy_berg/Tennis/245-4527_IMG.jpg

JKN666
10-28-2007, 09:07 AM
very nice pics!

drakulie
10-28-2007, 09:19 AM
so how did they play??

ProStaff Legend
10-28-2007, 10:31 AM
sweet pics, cant wait for a review

KristianAberg
10-29-2007, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the response guys! I will try to post a review later on this week. I played the PS85's for 5 years or so before switching to the PSC 6.1 110 so I basically know the difference, but it was so many years ago I tried the PS85's (and the Ultra 2) so it's gonna be real fun to play them again :D

I didn't play tennis for almost 10 years before taking it up again this summer. I am really struggling with my PSC racquets because after an hour of play they tend to get really heavy (or rather, I am getting really tired) and that screwes of my timing etc. So I have been looking for some kind of replacement for them and the other day I bought 3 used Babolat Pure Storm (non tour). I havn't demo'd those before but have tried the APD and the PD and imagine that the Pure Storm (less power than the PD) would be the right Babolat for me. I paid something like $150 for all three so it didn't bother me not having the opportunity to try them first. I just hit a few shots with them the other day and I really think they can be the right (light) choice for me as I am getting back to the game :) So I will demo the PS85's, the Ultra 2 and the Pure Storms and update later on this week (hopefully).

galain
10-29-2007, 03:06 AM
Nice, Kristian!

The Ultra2 was always considered to be the 'better' frame in the Wilson lineup - it was the flagship when it came out. I guess Boron was more prestigious than Kevlar back then.

Interesting - the paintjob on the Ultra 2 is a little similar to the new MicroGel pj's - but I can't stand those. The Wilson doesn't look quite as cheap.

VikingSamurai
10-29-2007, 04:29 AM
I have a Wilson PS85 "Staff" 100% graphite in the PS85 colour scheme (not grey) with the white butt cap.. Sweet racquet.. A little beat up, but happy to let it go to someone that would enjoy it.. I have too many frames as it is..

KristianAberg
10-29-2007, 04:42 AM
I have a Wilson PS85 "Staff" 100% graphite in the PS85 colour scheme (not grey) with the white butt cap.. Sweet racquet.. A little beat up, but happy to let it go to someone that would enjoy it.. I have too many frames as it is..

Really? That's interesting! I only remember seeing the Staff as grey in the catalogs and so on. Mine also came with a gray carrying bag (looked just like the black ProStaff bag but was gray instead). Have you compared it to the ProStaff85? How do you think it feels in comparison to the ProStaff85?

KristianAberg
10-29-2007, 04:47 AM
Nice, Kristian!

The Ultra2 was always considered to be the 'better' frame in the Wilson lineup - it was the flagship when it came out. I guess Boron was more prestigious than Kevlar back then.

Interesting - the paintjob on the Ultra 2 is a little similar to the new MicroGel pj's - but I can't stand those. The Wilson doesn't look quite as cheap.

Do you know if the Ultra 2 came out before or after the ProStaff? I remember seeing an ad where Hanna Mandlikova or someone else using the Ultra 2, but other than that I have never seen one except for the one my dad bought. I remember it as very stiff (I don't know if it because of the boron or if it is because the frame is somwehat wider around the throat) but I will try it again later this week, it's gonna be a lot of fun!

VikingSamurai
10-29-2007, 09:20 PM
Really? That's interesting! I only remember seeing the Staff as grey in the catalogs and so on. Mine also came with a gray carrying bag (looked just like the black ProStaff bag but was gray instead). Have you compared it to the ProStaff85? How do you think it feels in comparison to the ProStaff85?

I am at work at the moment, but when I get home I will take a picture of it.. I dont know what its like as I have never hit with it sorry.

bluetrain4
10-29-2007, 09:53 PM
I would love to hit with an Ultra2. I like old school racquets with incredible stability and plow-through.

galain
10-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Do you know if the Ultra 2 came out before or after the ProStaff? I remember seeing an ad where Hanna Mandlikova or someone else using the Ultra 2, but other than that I have never seen one except for the one my dad bought. I remember it as very stiff (I don't know if it because of the boron or if it is because the frame is somwehat wider around the throat) but I will try it again later this week, it's gonna be a lot of fun!

I think the Ultra 2 may have preceded the Pro Staff by a year, but they were definitely in the same linuep for awhile. The original Ultra was around for awhile - but yeah - I think the Ultra 2 and ProStaff were so closely released as to be considered in the same range back then.

KristianAberg
10-30-2007, 02:15 AM
I am at work at the moment, but when I get home I will take a picture of it.. I dont know what its like as I have never hit with it sorry.

That would be very nice :D

VikingSamurai
10-31-2007, 08:26 PM
That would be very nice :D

Hey, I didnt forget about you, but I did forget to take the pics. Will take some tonight.. I also have a PS95 "fp". No one can tell me anything about it, so I am thinking that maybe it was just released here in Japan?