PDA

View Full Version : Pure Storm '07, RDS002, LM Rad MP---1st/4th Impressions...

TripleB
10-28-2007, 09:40 AM
I've demoed or playtested the Yonex RDS002 4 times now because it's currently my standard by which I compare all other racquets.

Received my last batch of demos for a while this past Friday: Volkl DNX 9, Head LiquidMetal Radical MP, Babolat Pure Storm '07, and the Yonex RDS002 to compare the others to.

Volkl DNX9: offered excellent spin, compared to the other three racquets it's maneuverability was a huge disadvantage...I just couldn't get the racquet into position quickly enough on groundstrokes or at the net, maybe it was the strings/tension but it seemed to offer a tad too much power or maybe it was the fact that the power seemed inconsistent, serves were nice with good pop and easy access to spin but control on serves wasn't a strong suit, control on groundstrokes wasn't near as good as what I was expecting or anywhere close to the other three racquets, balls seemed to have a mind of their own, the sweetspot seemed quite small, the solid feel that the others offered just wasn't anywhere to be found with this racquet, obviously my least favorite of four

Head LiquidMetal Radical Midplus...for the 4 games I got to play with the racquet before the strings broke (in 4 places) here are my thoughts: much more spin that I was expecting from the 18x20, very solid feel, had a flexy feel to it, didn't offer as much touch at the net as I was expecting, racquet offered nice pop and I felt I could really flatten out my groundstrokes (which this racquet seemed to beg you to do) and go for winners with success, serves had good pop..spin on serves was better than average (but not as good as the other three racquets), for the 4 games I played with it this racquet offered a great deal more from all over the court than I was expecting, replacement demo will be in Wednesday and I'm looking forward to hitting with this racquet again

Yonex RDS002: see here... http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/TRIPB08.html One thing I did notice when comparing the RDS002 side by side the Pure Storm '07 and Rad MP was that I was hitting the ball higher over the net with the RDS002 compared to these other two racquets. With the PS07 and RadMP I was hitting a flatter ball (and typically more outright winners) therefore the topspin was less with these two

Babolat Pure Storm '07: the first playtest review I ever did for TW was for the previous Pure Storm (see my review here: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/TRIPB01.html ) and as you can see I thought the previous Pure Storm was the best of the four but really not that great of racquet. For the 2 sets I got to play with it yesterday I'd say the Pure Storm '07 is a MUCH improved version: as with the last version the sweetspot seems to be about the size of the racquet head, this version offers a bit more power which makes hitting outright winners on groundstrokes a joy, it offers more spin than the LM Rad but less than the RDS002, compared to the RDS002 the feel is much more muted...more solid? Probably, one thing the Pure Storm '07 doesn't offer compared to the RDS002 is the "whipability"...it takes a little more effort to get this racquet into position than the RDS002...I found myself late on a few hard hit serves to my forehand (something I didn't encounter much with the RDS002), serves were more powerful with the Pure Storm '07 but kick serves were less effective (still nice but not 002 nice), touch at net was nice but somewhat muted when going to touch volleys, slice with the Pure Storm '07 were nice but not as effective as with the RDS, I was most successful on dropshots with this racquet compared to the other two, I really liked this racquet a trendous amount.

If I had to make a choice right now between the three I couldn't.

I really want to hit with the LM Radical MP again to see how much extra effort it is to get topspin/slice on the ball, to see how effective my serves are with it, and to see if some of the winners I hit were just luck.

I'm pretty solid with the RDS002 but this may just be because I've played with it four different times compared to just once with the other two. The "hitting the ball higher over the net" bothers me a little...I'm worried that better players may attack that and I'm also concerned that I do this because of the lack of weight in the head giving me enough "flat power."

I'm very impressed (even though it was only 1 day) with the Pure Storm '07. Rock solid from all over the court, pretty big serves, great depth on groundstrokes, very good control, and just a blast to play with. The muted feel is a little off-setting (compared to other racquets I've played with in the past) and the lower spin potential compared to the RDS002 is a worrysome.

Just thought I'd pass along my thoughts on these 4 racquets for anyone who cares to read them.

TripleB

martin
10-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Did the pure storm felt less sluggish than the old pure storm?

bertrevert
10-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Just thought I'd pass along my thoughts on these 4 racquets for anyone who cares to read them.

Are you kidding TripleB? I'm certainly not alone in reading your threads and reviews since that first one. They're worth it.

You write reviews for the "rest of us" writing about the sub-heavy player and tweener frames that are interesting to all of us "not on tour", so please keep them coming...

bertrevert
10-28-2007, 03:25 PM
I've grokked the LM Rad for years now.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok)

I just got the MG Rad and am writing up some words of comparison.

Only just investigating the Pure Storm and searching this forum... seems really good.

I serve well with the LM Rad. Are you saying the Pure Storm is a little better on serve? Woohoo, if you are...

the Town Sherif
10-28-2007, 04:05 PM
tripleb, when do you think you will decide?

TripleB
10-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Did the pure storm felt less sluggish than the old pure storm?

The new one doesn't feel as sluggish as the old one. To be honest the only time I really noticed it being "slow" was on my forehand (weaker side) returns when the guy I was playing was serving some big time bombs. The Pure Storm wasn't quite as easy to get into position as the RDS002 on these shots.

Are you kidding TripleB? I'm certainly not alone in reading your threads and reviews since that first one. They're worth it.

You write reviews for the "rest of us" writing about the sub-heavy player and tweener frames that are interesting to all of us "not on tour", so please keep them coming...

I appreciate the comments....it seems the old/fatter/slow I get, the smarter I get and realize I just can't handle the 12+ ounce racquets like I used to so I've turned my attention to trying to find a solid feeling racquet around 11 ounces.

I serve well with the LM Rad. Are you saying the Pure Storm is a little better on serve? Woohoo, if you are...

To be honest I only really got to serve two full games with the LM Radical MP so I can't say 100% how it is on serves (new demo of it will be in Wednesday so I'll be able to say a little more after that), but from those two games I would say the Pure Storm '07 offers more pop and spin than the LM Rad MP. The LM Rad MP probably offers a little more control on the flat one but I had more success (ie: more service winners) with the Pure Storm.

Not sure. Hopefully by this Friday.

TripleB

three eights
10-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Hey TripleB, great post as usual. I myself decided to demo (and buy) the pure storm 07 and RDS002 in part due to your recommendations and i love them both (An upgrade from LM Radical BTW).

I agree with you, both racquets are great. The RDS and storm are pretty similar and close to the LM Rad. The differences you encountered between the PS and RDS002 are due to the slightly more open pattern and head light (lower swingweitht) of the RDS002 compared with the PS 07. Both provide more pop and "action" then the solid LM Radical... kind of a modern upgrade to the trusty Rad frame.

Anyways... great review and looking forward to hear more in the future. As for myself, i found my true love with the Storm. GL!

counterpuncher
10-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Just my 2 cents, although I'm not a big advocate of lead tape - if you want to hit a little flatter with the RDS002 Tour, add some lead tape (or head protection tape) at 12 o'clock. As little as 2 - 4 grams will make a noticeable difference. I liked it but had to take it off as I was hitting a lot flatter and mostly beyond the baseline.

I just picked up a Storm Tour and an RQiS 1 and am trying to make a decision between these and my RDS001 mp as to what my main racquet will be.

bertrevert
10-28-2007, 09:02 PM
The RDS and storm are pretty similar and close to the LM Rad

So there seems to be some good transition possible between LM Rad territory and these other frames???

bertrevert
10-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Just my 2 cents, although I'm not a big advocate of lead tape - if you want to hit a little flatter with the RDS002 Tour, add some lead tape (or head protection tape) at 12 o'clock. As little as 2 - 4 grams will make a noticeable difference. I liked it but had to take it off as I was hitting a lot flatter and mostly beyond the baseline.

I just picked up a Storm Tour and an RQiS 1 and am trying to make a decision between these and my RDS001 mp as to what my main racquet will be.

...but these are neither the 002 Tour nor the Storm Tour...

counterpuncher
10-28-2007, 09:11 PM
...but these are neither the 002 Tour nor the Storm Tour...

Sorry, skimmed through the post a little too quickly : (

I'm sure some lead tape at 12'oclock on the RDS002 will still lead to flatter hitting.

bertrevert
10-28-2007, 09:33 PM
some lead tape at 12'oclock on the RDS002 will still lead to flatter hitting.

Oh ok yeah added lead up top should do that so long as the player can maintain their bat speed...

And while that taks care of spin, I maintain though if you want to add the most thump for the least lead then put the lead in the throat, the yoke, because that gives just huge boost to groundstrokes.

I noticed you're a 001MP user - sheesh I couldn't get my serve going with that one at all! - but I thought the 002 Tour very simlar in weight but with a thinner (pinched) beam and bridge, and different flex, it performed markedly better, just way too heavy for me. I thought it big and heavy AND very responsive. A true responsive package for serious players.

bertrevert
10-28-2007, 09:36 PM
I really want to hit with the LM Radical MP again to see how much extra effort it is to get topspin/slice on the ball, to see how effective my serves are with it, and to see if some of the winners I hit were just luck.
TripleB why not demo the MG Rad against these frames you like for it's a better frame than the LM...
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1840042&postcount=414

counterpuncher
10-28-2007, 10:20 PM
I noticed you're a 001MP user - sheesh I couldn't get my serve going with that one at all! - but I thought the 002 Tour very simlar in weight but with a thinner (pinched) beam and bridge, and different flex, it performed markedly better, just way too heavy for me. I thought it big and heavy AND very responsive. A true responsive package for serious players.
Yes am finding the same myself and added racquet head tape from 3 all the way around to 9 for some improvement in the serving potential of my RDS001. While I like the feel and performance of the RDS002 tour, I get better results with the RDS001 mostly because of the weight issue for me with the RDS002 tour. I thought about the UL version but worried about the performance in a lighter weight racquet given the lack of weight in the head, so I went with the RQiS 1 and Storm Tour instead.

three eights
10-29-2007, 05:10 AM
So there seems to be some good transition possible between LM Rad territory and these other frames???

Yes, i very much believe so..

lest start with the weight difference between the LM rad and the PS/RDS002 which is only a couple of ounces. The LM Rad has a little higher swingweight which makes the PS/RDS better to maneuver and generate spin due to their more open pattern. In the 98" frame, i'd say the PS/RDS002 are the Rad reinvented to fit the modern game.

martin
10-29-2007, 05:31 AM
Yes, i very much believe so..

lest start with the weight difference between the LM rad and the PS/RDS002 which is only a couple of ounces. The LM Rad has a little higher swingweight which makes the PS/RDS better to maneuver and generate spin due to their more open pattern. In the 98" frame, i'd say the PS/RDS002 are the Rad reinvented to fit the modern game.

I'm gonna make a choice between the rds002 or the new pure storm. Are there any other differences? Is the difference between swingweight and static weight just a little or do you really notice it. I felt that the older pure storm was just a little bit too slow because of the high sw.
I'm an attackking player who likes to get to the net as soon as possible. Which racket would suit me better?

TripleB
10-29-2007, 11:16 AM
TripleB why not demo the MG Rad against these frames you like for it's a better frame than the LM...
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1840042&postcount=414

I've playtested the MicroGel Radical MP ( http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/TRIPB08.html ) as well as the MicroGel Radical Pro and didn't find either to my liking near as much as the LM Radical MP ( for the 4 games I hit with it ;) ), the RDS002, or the Pure Storm '07. Not sure what the problem was but the amount of spin I was getting with the LM Radical seemed a bit more than what I got with the MG Radical. Of course not as much as I got with the MG Rad Pro but the upper hoop area of the MG Rad Pro just wasn't solid feeling enough.

TripleB

TripleB
10-29-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm gonna make a choice between the rds002 or the new pure storm. Are there any other differences? Is the difference between swingweight and static weight just a little or do you really notice it. I felt that the older pure storm was just a little bit too slow because of the high sw.
I'm an attackking player who likes to get to the net as soon as possible. Which racket would suit me better?

I can really feel the difference in swingweight between the two...I think it's more than the SW numbers would indicate. I almost felt like the Pure Storm's swing weight was about equal to the LM Radical MP (325 I believe). In my opinion the '07 model isn't as "clumsy" as the older model of the Pure Storm.

As for the better racquet for you that's a tough call...you gotta demo if you can. The RDS002 is definately quicker at net but the Pure Storm is going to give you bigger serves and a slightly more solid feel.

TripleB

bertrevert
10-29-2007, 02:54 PM
I've playtested the MicroGel Radical MP ( http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/TRIPB08.html )

Yes I know that playtest, and now I see how/why the LM Rad is in contention.

It's great you're seriously considering this relatively cheap and unloved racquet. Latest and greatest is not necessarily better. As numerous examples attest. Better pursuing intrinsic racquet qualities.

You identify the key MG Rad problem in your first playtest paragraph:
"I just didn't seem to have the ability to keep my opponent on the run or to put the ball away ... due to the lightness of the racquet"

I've added 10 grams to the hoop so far and will probably have to add more...

TripleB
10-30-2007, 04:24 AM
Update after playing 3 hours of doubles last night....NOT MUCH HAS CHANGED!!! :grin:

I didn't play quite as well with the Pure Storm as I did on Saturday but the racquet still feels solid and stable. A little slow at the net which showed itself last night with hard hit balls at my body. Again I found that topspin and slice are much better with the 002 compared to the Pure Storm but groundstrokes felt a tad more hollow with the 002.

As far as success I probably had more with the 002 but they may be due to the fact that I've demoed it 4 times. The Fischer M Pro #1 98 Light worked well for me last night...it's sort of like a cross between the 002 (less plush, more spin, more feel than the Pure Storm) and the Pure Storm (less hollow feeling, more hefty feel coming through the hitting zone compared to the 002).

All three are incredible racquets and I don't looking forward to Thursday when I get the LM Radical Midplus demo back in (string broke, replacement gets here tomorrow) which will throw a 4th choice into the mix.

I'm sure it's going to be tough to decide but it's great knowing that I can't go wrong with either one.

TripleB

TripleB
10-30-2007, 06:17 AM
It's great you're seriously considering this relatively cheap and unloved racquet. Latest and greatest is not necessarily better. As numerous examples attest. Better pursuing intrinsic racquet qualities.

Can I be honest? I demoed the Liquid Metal Radical Midplus when it first came out (back when I used the POG mid), tried it for about 20 minutes, and decided I hated it. Too light and not enough spin potential.

When I decided to demo these last four racquets I could only think of three that I really wanted to try and threw in the LM Rad MP just because it was in the weight range I was looking at (10.9-11.5 ounces), when I look at my "Wall of Frames" (48 racquets hanging on my computer wall) I see about 5 incarnation of the Radical series, the demo was in stock, and because of its price. Not really expecting much out of it.

I guess the reason I like it better now (from the very little time I spent on the court with it so far) is because I don't swing as hard as I used to therefore need to hit a flatter ball to get it deep in the court with the same swing speed. I'm also more accustom to that weight range now. I've also found that I rely on touch shots alot more now and like the extra "feel" at the net.

I hate the demo strings broke after only four games but I'm looking forward to trying it again Thursday night for a longer period of time.

TripleB

TripleB
11-01-2007, 04:57 AM

I will be placing my order next Tuesday, November 6th). For which racquet? I dunno!!!

It's down to either the Yonex RDS002 (current front runner), the Fischer M Pro Number One 98 Light (had marked this one off my list but last Monday it made it back on), the Head LM Radical MP (disliked this racquet when it first came out but played well with it for 4 games, before the strings broke, last week), or the Babolat Pure Storm '07 (really liked this one for singles but seemed to slow when I played doubles with it on Monday).

TripleB

Richard Pur
11-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Not to extend the process or confuse you (after all, that's easy to do with us people in demo purgatory), but I previously mentioned to you (a while back) maybe trying the RDS 002 Tour UL. It is lighter than the SL, lower swingweight, and when/if you build up the 1/4 grip to your standard grip size, it would make it more headlight?

The Tour, according to others here, produces a much heavier ball.

Rich

P.S. Did you try the Donnay Pro One International yet? A quality racquet for very cheap!

TripleB
11-02-2007, 03:44 AM
And then there were two. After a 3 hour hitting session last night with the final four (RDS002, M Pro #1 98 Light, Pure Storm '07, LM Radical MP), the two racquets in the finals are the RDS002 and the Pure Storm '07.

The Head LM Radical MP just didn't offer enough pop (especially on serve) or maneuverability (especially when trying to rip cross court forehands) to be a worthy contender.

The Fischer M Pro #1 98 Light just doesn't have as large of sweetspot or as sweet of feel (on well struck balls) as the RDS002 or Pure Storm '07.

I love the large sweetspot of the Pure Storm '07 and the ease of which I can get power out of the racquet. I love the quickness and extra topspin I get with the RDS002.

I'm going to try and get in some quality singles on Sunday and some doubles on Monday and then place my order on Tuesday.

Thanks for following along in my "demo 'til you find the one" saga.

TripleB

martin
11-02-2007, 04:26 AM
No surprise. I think the rds002 will win in the end.

TripleB
11-02-2007, 04:53 AM
No surprise. I think the rds002 will win in the end.

I've been trying to compare the two on the court but also by assigning numbers to the Pure Storm and comparing it to the numbers I gave the RDS002 in my Playtest Review.

RDS002 / Pure Storm '07:

Overall: 87 / 85 (the Pure Storm number here started out at around 78 the first time I used it and has been moving up ever since)
Volleys: 93 / 89
Topspin: 86 / 79
Slice: 84 / 81
Returns: 83 / 85
Groundstrokes: 83 / 82
Serves and Overheads: 84 / 85
Touch and Feel: 86 / 81
Comfort: 83 / 87
Stability: 84 / 86
Maneurverability: 89 / 78
Control: 83 / 82
Power: 78 / 80

TripleB

martin
11-06-2007, 07:01 AM
I've been trying to compare the two on the court but also by assigning numbers to the Pure Storm and comparing it to the numbers I gave the RDS002 in my Playtest Review.

RDS002 / Pure Storm '07:

Overall: 87 / 85 (the Pure Storm number here started out at around 78 the first time I used it and has been moving up ever since)
Volleys: 93 / 89
Topspin: 86 / 79
Slice: 84 / 81
Returns: 83 / 85
Groundstrokes: 83 / 82
Serves and Overheads: 84 / 85
Touch and Feel: 86 / 81
Comfort: 83 / 87
Stability: 84 / 86
Maneurverability: 89 / 78
Control: 83 / 82
Power: 78 / 80

TripleB

You should try the yonex rds003 as well as you already tried two million other rackets. Maybe this is the one!!!!

TripleB
11-06-2007, 10:50 AM
You should try the yonex rds003 as well as you already tried two million other rackets. Maybe this is the one!!!!

Believe it or not.....the Head LiquidMetal Radical Midplus is my new racquet of choice. After one night out with it I had given up on liking this racquet and marked it off my list. One afternoon I was strugling with all the racquets I loved: Pure Storm '07, RDS002, RDX-500 Midplus. I couldn't get anything going with any of these racquets so I put them all down and pulled out the LM Radical Midplus. Everything clicked perfectly.

Before switching I had accumulated about 7 doubles faults....zero double faults with the Head and at least 9 service winners in six service games. I was hitting incredible winners off both sides, awe inspiring touch volleys at net, hard biting slice, heavy topspin (even with the 18x20 sp and the horribly old strings in the racquet), and the lack of "whipability" I thought this racquet had problems with was nowhere to be found. Absolutely incredible playing with this racquet....maybe 2 unforced errors in those 12 games. Thought it was just a fluke so I took it out again the next day with practically the same results.

Ordered 3 of them yesterday....2 with Yonex Tour Super 850 16g Feel string (57 pounds and 55 pounds) and then one with a Klip K-Boom 17g/Yonex TS850 16g Feel hybrid.

TripleB

bertrevert
11-06-2007, 03:26 PM
I don't believe it.

Yes I do! Great stuff. Nice nice to see a decision OUTSIDE of prevailing fashion.

Now let's talk about the differences between the earlier Czech and later China versions:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=150068&highlight=lm+radical+czech
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=96917&highlight=lm+radical+czech

... nah forggedeboutit. LM is a nice racquet.

It's a control racquet so this is what you needed on the day you mention, and going forward, in your game, you've decided control is what you need.

(I've had a hit with the Bab Pure Storm 07 and liked added power a lot, so there goes the CC.)

Suggestion - string the LM low. Keep that whippability and that spin from a low tension. Sweet spot isn't huge and it's more 95 than 98, so low tension keeps you within the lines. I think low tension transforms this racquet.

I've hit with two Tours of the LM Rad and they are nice. However the standard LM Rad itself is just as good - I have mine leaded up to 325 grams.

The thin bevelled round beam of 21 is responsive enough. I cannot explain it but it is a great serving stick (you concur?).

martin
11-06-2007, 03:36 PM
What was wrong with the other rackets and what if you play horrible with the lm radical next time?
I thought you would buy the rds002. What went wrong?

Tan
11-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Special tanks to TripleB. Your review is very interesting. Most of those racket are my choice to be considered. I'm using old Ps storm. Would New head microgel instinct be add to your demo list?(pls :)) This one might be a new competitior from it's spec in your category. I guess it might fall between Microgel Radical Mid & 002.