PDA

View Full Version : MG Prestige Pro vs RQiS1, B11, TF320 & PC600/PT630

Old_Crow
10-28-2007, 10:33 AM
Think of this as the low/intermediate hackers review... Use the following as context for the review, if you are a 2.5 or a 4.5 & beyond, it may not apply... I play a lot, 5 or 6 days a week(indoors mostly) including a coached 3.5/4.0 clinic, a coached USTA mixed 7.0 practice and a private every couple weeks or so. I started playing tennis again in Summer 2006 after a 15 year layoff and have been working very hard to improve and it's just now starting to show. SW FH, OHBH, a fair amount of top on each side for my level, serve and groundstrokes are a strength, netplay is a weakness which is why I'm plaing so much doubles right now.

I demoed the MG Prestige Pro last week alongside the Pure Storm Tour, Yonex RQiS 1, Tecnifibre 320 (18x20) and Becker 11. I compared them to a PC600, PT630, LM Prestige MP. The PC600, PT630, LM Prestige and Becker were all strung with VS Touch gut, the others with whatever demo string they came with.

I agree 100% with Michael's comparison to the Pure Storm Tour in the other thread. I hit with that racquet the shortest time. I keep trying to like Babolat racquets but I just can't get used to the feelregardless of how well it plays. Not a fair review at all, I just couldn't get into this one.

The others - I actually liked all the other frames and at my low level, could probably play equally well with any of them.

Tecnifibre TF320 18x20 - I like Tecnifibre frames (played with 335 and 310) and this was no exception but it swung a little too light in stock form. I seem to play best when I take a hard cut at the all and I had a bit of a tough time with my timing over the couple days I played with the TF320. It also felt a bit stiffer than the TW RDC of 64. I think I could get used to it easily but I'd need to be careful of my propensity towards bicep tendonitis playing as much as I do. Second serves were very nice, lots of headspeed for putting action on the ball. Volleys needed very good preparation as offcenter shots were uncomfortable. Probably need to add weight to use this one full time.

Becker 11 - I actually bought one of these based on the specs to do an extended demo. So I really wanted it to be The One since I already made a big investment. I'm not a fan of the graphics preferring a simper look but this is a very nice racquet. I tested the swingweight via the USRSA calculator at 328, very different from the TW spec. It swings easy but I wish it were a little more headlight. Could add some weight to the handle but that might make it too sluggish. Goundstrokes had good power and better spin than my LM Prestige or PC600. It was proabably just familiarity with the frame but but I was able to hit a heavier ball with the PT630, more spin and more penetration. This was confirmed by my hitting partner. Very good serving racquet for me although I go back to my comment on the balance. It was the best volleying racquet of the bunch for me - perfect combination of heft and manueverability. The one thing I don't like about this racquet is the feel... It has a very strange soft/sharp feel. It's flexy and crisp at the same time and it does ping a litle bit compared to the other frames. It's not nearly as bad as the Volkl DNX10 mid and MP though. Pushing a worm dampener up so it touched the bottom string helped (I usually keep it low) but it was still there. No big deal but worth noting. I was tempted to switch to this frame for the upcoming USTA mixed dubles season.

MG Prestige Pro - having played a lot with my wife's MG Rad Pro and owned a MG Extreme Pro, I was highly skeptical about the new Prestige cosmetics. Shouldn't have been, these are beautiful racquets in real life, much better than the photos.
First thing I noticed was the balance, mine was 6pt headlight and I was really hoping for something in the 7/8 range. Next was the feel, it's definitely a MG-family racquet. It was the same stiff/solid feel as the MG Rad Pro but without any sort of crispness. They are just solid, hard to think of any other desciptive word. This one is too stiff for me though, feels about like the FXP version but without the crispness. Kind of a cop-out review but other than the feel, nothing really stood out for me with this frame. Just a good all-rounder. It didn't give me any reason to update other than availability of retail frames. Maybe different strings would help but I wouldn't want to go all-gut on this frame with the open pattern. I'm going to try the MP and Mid next week.

Yonex RQiS1 - very nice racquet. Totally equal to the B11 & MG Prestige Pro in my mind. If I closed my eyes and ignored the sound, this one actually felt closest to my PC/PT's as far as the soft, muted feel that I like. I'd agree with the TW reviews that it is a very low powered racquet, about like the PC600. I felt the PT630 was significantly more powerful with the heavy SW (mine are 340+). I had to flatten out my swing and take a rip at the ball to get it through the court. Stronger players may have better results. Control was very, very good on groundstrokes. Effortless spin and the ability to whip the very headlight frame around were crazy good. It's very easy to see Hewitt hitting that running backwards backhand squashshot flick thingy he does with this racquet. Volleys were suprisingly solid and the racquet is effortless to use, just trust your bodies reflex and the racquet will be there.
Serve strength was on spin and control. I rely on a good kick serve for my level to set up my service games and this racquet worked well for that. Flat serves went where I wanted but tended to be sit up where they could be drilled back at me by my opponent.
As noted above, feel was soft and muted, no vibration for me. Mishits weren't bad unless you shanked them on the fat beam. There is a loud thumpy hitting sound, I liked it! I thought hard about making the switch to this frame too. I like Yonex frames in general and have played with the RDX500, RDS001 & RDS003. If I went the tweener route(I still may), it would be the RDS003 without a doubt. In the end, the racquet didn't offer anything I didn't already have with my PC/PT except the ability to buy a new one without getting gouged on e*ay...

For now, I decided to keep playing with my PC600s with the odd reversion to the PT630's. The lower swingweight and more headlight balance of the PC's seems to work better for doubles. I know, I know, low intermediate poseur player using a Prestige mid...

I read Jo11yroger's racquet guide and agree 100%. However, with the PC600 I just seem to play comfortably. The one problem is similar to the Yonex above, I definitely sacrifice some court penetration at the expense of control. I also seem to serve the best with this frame. For trading groundstrokes and pure feel, for me the PT630 wins everytime and none of the new racquets offered any compelling reason to change (again, other than being able to buy a new one). There are tradeoffs with every racquet and I'm still internalizing the players frame vs LowPoweredTweener argument but for now, I'm going to stick with the flexy old Heads.

YMMV...

tennis_nerd22
10-28-2007, 10:47 AM
wow, thats an interesting review thanks a lot.

would you say that your PC600 has the same sized sweetspot as the the RQiS1? Because you said "the racquet didn't offer anything I didni't already have with my PC/PT". Does that include not offering a bigger sweetspot?

And compared to the PC600, does the Prestige Pro have basically everything the PC does, but to a lower extent?

thanks

Old_Crow
10-28-2007, 11:28 AM
wow, thats an interesting review thanks a lot.

would you say that your PC600 has the same sized sweetspot as the the RQiS1? Because you said "the racquet didn't offer anything I didni't already have with my PC/PT". Does that include not offering a bigger sweetspot?

It might but I didn't notice it if it did. 95 vs 93(really 90?) isn't that much. I didn't notice any fewer mishits with the Yonex. The Yonex had much better spin production. I serve better with the PC600. I could go either way with those two but I already have two PC's and another on the way so no need to repurchase. The decison on this racquet was economics as much as anything. See the pic below I just snapped for headsize comparison (the PC600 is a LM paintjob).

And compared to the PC600, does the Prestige Pro have basically everything the PC does, but to a lower extent?

My impression was that the MG Prestige Pro has more power & more spin, equal control. I prefer a more headlight balance but could add weight to the MG to achieve this easy enough. I'd worry about increasing the swingwieght though. The Prestige Pro is just too firm for me. I prefer the soft flexy feel of the older Heads. That's why I'll demo the MG Prestige Mid before they are released. I basically just put off a decision to swith until early 2008 when my mixed season is over and the men's season is getting started. I'll then try the MG Prestige Mid and add that to my decision matrix on whether I should move to a low-powered-tweener or not.

http://www.crowmountain.net/Tennis/RQiS1vsPC600.JPG

Shangri La
10-28-2007, 11:38 AM
wow... nice D200 0.0

tennis_nerd22
10-28-2007, 11:39 AM
It might but I didn't notice it if it did. 95 vs 93(really 90?) isn't that much. I didn't notice any fewer mishits with the Yonex. The Yonex had much better spin production. I serve better with the PC600. I could go either way with those two but I already have two PC's and another on the way so no need to repurchase. The decison on this racquet was economics as much as anything. See the pic below I just snapped for headsize comparison (the PC600 is a LM paintjob).

My impression was that the MG Prestige Pro has more power & more spin, equal control. I prefer a more headlight balance but could add weight to the MG to achieve this easy enough. I'd worry about increasing the swingwieght though. The Prestige Pro is just too firm for me. I prefer the soft flexy feel of the older Heads. That's why I'll demo the MG Prestige Mid before they are released. I basically just put off a decision to swith until early 2008 when my mixed season is over and the men's season is getting started. I'll then try the MG Prestige Mid and add that to my decision matrix on whether I should move to a low-powered-tweener or not.

thanks for that it was really helpful, especially the picture :)

I guess then you could say the MG Prestige Pro is like a "modernized" PC600... to a certain extent. But after what you and Michael have said i can't wait till they come out in '08.

The PC600 is one of a kind, but its just too hard to fine them now... anyways, thanks a lot for your help and informative review!

Old_Crow
10-28-2007, 01:57 PM
I'd agree with 'modernized' but not with 'modernized PC600'. The flex and feel is very different, not to mention the string pattern. I'd say it's closer to a modernized PT630 but even there, there's a big difference in flex/feel - maybe that's the modernized part...

If you want a modernized PC600, I'm guessing the MG Prestige Mid is a better choice. I'll try to demo that one this week. Then I can upate this Poseur's Review thread with that one too!

carTW
10-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Old_Crow, you mention that you have some experience with the Tecnifibre 310. Is that the T-Flash 310? If yes, is it the 18x20 or 16x19? In either case, how does the 310 compare with the 320? Is the 310 a lot more like the Head microgel Exterme Pro in terms of feel and power-wise (kind of stiff and "remote", but works well for me)?

Old_Crow
10-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Old_Crow, you mention that you have some experience with the Tecnifibre 310. Is that the T-Flash 310? If yes, is it the 18x20 or 16x19? In either case, how does the 310 compare with the 320? Is the 310 a lot more like the Head microgel Exterme Pro in terms of feel and power-wise (kind of stiff and "remote", but works well for me)?

Completely different that the T-Fight 320. I really liked the T-Flash 310 16x19 but my old joints and crappy mechanics couldn't deal with the stiffness playing 5-6 days a week.

Think of the 310 as a more evolved Pure Drive, similar power but without the Babolat hollow feel. Yes, the Extreme Pro is in the same group. I preferred the feel of the 310. Power & spin were very similar.

carTW
10-28-2007, 05:50 PM
So it is stiff.....
Thanks!

Pro_Tour_630
10-28-2007, 05:57 PM
I agree 100% with Michael's comparison to the Pure Storm Tour in the other thread. It was the same stiff/solid feel as the MG Rad Pro but without any sort of crispness. They are just solid, hard to think of any other desciptive word. This one is too stiff for me though, feels about like the FXP version but without the crispness. Kind of a cop-out review but other than the feel, nothing really stood out for me with this frame. Just a good all-rounder.

yes the pure strom tour was kind of similar spec wise to the MG Prestige Pro only softer and more comfortable. I agree with your description but not sure if it feels like the FXP. The FXP was a bit hollow while the MG Prestige Pro felt a bit more muted and solid. Which string did you use and what tension?

The Prestige Pro is just too firm for me. I prefer the soft flexy feel of the older Heads. That's why I'll demo the MG Prestige Mid before they are released.

The MG Prestige Mid was soft but not as nice and solid as a PC600

I guess then you could say the MG Prestige Pro is like a "modernized" PC600... to a certain extent. But after what you and Michael have said i can't wait till they come out in '08

IMO, the MG Prestige Pro should not be compared to a PC600. They are different.

I'd agree with 'modernized' but not with 'modernized PC600'. The flex and feel is very different, not to mention the string pattern. I'd say it's closer to a modernized PT630 but even there, there's a big difference in flex/feel - maybe that's the modernized part...

Of all the frames that are out there, the MG Prestige Pro is the closest spec wise to a PT630 with and open pattern. Another frame that is in the same family is Dunlop Mfil 200g 16X19 , Volk Generation II among few others.

Old_Crow
10-28-2007, 06:20 PM
yes the pure strom tour was kind of similar spec wise to the MG Prestige Pro only softer and more comfortable. I agree with your description but not sure if it feels like the FXP. The FXP was a bit hollow while the MG Prestige Pro felt a bit more muted and solid. Which string did you use and what tension?

Hi Michael -

I'm pretty sure the demo was strung with Super Fineplay as that's what that particular shop puts in everything. I checked it on my Gamma String Tension Tester and it read '42' which usually equates to mid-50lbs on an open pattern racquet.

I agree with your description of the difference in feel between the FXP Prestige MP and the MG Prestige Pro. That's what I was trying to get at with the 'similar stiffness but without the crispness' comment. I wouldn't spend much time with the FXP MP but I wouldn't have any trouble at all with the Prestige Pro. However, I'd probably need to string it with something soft at low tension to be able to swing it hard & play the same amount I play now. I liked it fine but since I've got 3 new PC600s and 3 PT630's in good condition, there's just no compelling reason to update racquets. The only reason to switch for me would be a fundamental shift to a low powered tweener.

Have you ever tried the Tour Xtra Long? I have two new old stock racquets that I'm thinking about cutting down to 27" and rebalancing to the same spec as my PT630's to use as backups.

Pro_Tour_630
10-28-2007, 06:32 PM
I liked it fine but since I've got 3 new PC600s and 3 PT630's in good condition, Have you ever tried the Tour Xtra Long? I have two new old stock racquets that I'm thinking about cutting down to 27" and rebalancing to the same spec as my PT630's to use as backups.

For me I was forced to using under 1.20mm strings to be able to play well with my PT630. Which is why I am looking forward to the MG Prestige Pro. I get to try out more string options. As for the Tour Xl's they are very nice feeling frames. Funny we both were thinking of the same thing :) I was going to cut them down but not to 27. Try 27.25 first, If you don't like it cut anther .25

seacard
10-28-2007, 07:16 PM
Is that a box beam on that racquet or just an optical illusion?