PDA

View Full Version : Being hit by your partner

JeffSmith1234
10-28-2007, 12:29 PM
How many of you have been hit by your own partner (in doubles).

My leftie partner was serving (from ad side) and I got hit on the temple (side of the head) it took my glasses off!!

I used to think "wimp" when people got hit but this one really hurt. I would liken it to being hit by a baseball bat!

Although the surprise element made it more painful.

Bagumbawalla
10-28-2007, 01:18 PM
I would think that everybody who plays doubles gets hit at some time or other- mostly by opponents, but sometimes by your own partner.

One way to minimize the possibility is to be aware of where your partner might be placing the ball, and, give him/her more room to get the ball across the net by moving aside or squating down so the ball will go around you or over you, and not through you.

WildVolley
10-28-2007, 01:19 PM

My leftie partner was serving (from ad side) and I got hit on the temple (side of the head) it took my glasses off!!

I used to think "wimp" when people got hit but this one really hurt. I would liken it to being hit by a baseball bat!

Almost anyone who has played for any length of time has been hit. As I say, that's why it is always best to look ahead: better to get beaned in the back of the head than in the face.

About 2 months ago I shanked one at about 90mph into my partners ear while hitting from the ad side. His ear turned quite red. Now he backs way up. I don't blame him, but it is sort of embarrassing on my part.

You can sort of lean forward and duck down on the serve and it will limit the impact against the head. I'm sure a serve at over 100mph into the kidneys wouldn't feel so hot either.

Midlife crisis
10-28-2007, 01:29 PM
As someone who has been hit by a tennis ball going probably 110 MPH and a baseball going probably 80 MPH, there is no comparison. The baseball hurts way worse. It is rock hard, and weighs 2 1/2 times what a tennis ball weighs.

Getting hit by the 110 MPH tennis ball hurts no worse than getting hit by my son when he was pitching little league at probably 45-50 MPH. 80 MPH with a baseball is easily bone breaking velocity, and there's no way I can see a tennis ball hitting my arm hard enough to even cause a bone bruise.

goober
10-28-2007, 01:50 PM
One way to minimize the possibility is to be aware of where your partner might be placing the ball, and, give him/her more room to get the ball across the net by moving aside or squating down so the ball will go around you or over you, and not through you.

Yeah I usually do the squatting thing, but last weekend my partner insisted on doing an Australian "I" formation serve to this lefty. I took a hard first serve in the arse. :p I guess it was better than getting beaned in the back of the head.

Solat
10-28-2007, 07:23 PM
i've been hit in the jewels off a smash in doubles, that wasnt my favourite

Rui
10-29-2007, 12:16 AM
I got nailed in the neck by my partner's left handed mis-hit topspin serve. It hurt, of course. Everytime after that when I heard his spin serve, I winced.

Seifersquall1
10-29-2007, 02:20 PM
I almost did. I was very close to the net (fooling around cause we're winning), and my partner served a big one that went through my hair XD

Cindysphinx
10-29-2007, 06:55 PM
I beaned my partner during a lesson. I was serving to the pro and was determined to ace him (hasn't happened yet, but I keep trying). Because it was a lesson, I don't like to waste a lot of time fiddling with my grip or thinking about placement. So I cracked one right into the back of my partner's head. It looked like it really hurt. She wasn't in the way. I was just wild. That one really got away from me!

I wrote her an e-mail and apologized. Now she won't stand in the middle of the box where I want her, and she stands near the alley and leaves me the whole flippin' court to cover.

Wimp!

mucat
10-29-2007, 08:40 PM

I have to disagree, Wimp!! :)

ChuDat
10-29-2007, 09:02 PM
my friend hit a really huge forehand at my back while we were playing dbls.

tbini87
10-29-2007, 09:07 PM
getting hit comes with playing doubles. squat low and look ahead. also get into that alley if your partner is that bad with his serves! tell them to serve up the T for strategy's and safety's sake.

Hot Sauce
10-29-2007, 09:27 PM
One time my partner was at the net and he was squatting below it so I could get a clear shot, and I guess it got to me cuz I nailed him right in the back!

ZenMac
10-30-2007, 01:16 AM
I got hit on the temple (side of the head) it took my glasses off!!

I don't know about a baseball bat, but I know that getting hit in the glasses always hurts more than you'd expect. Even when hit from the side, the glasses have a way of funneling all the force directly to the bridge of your nose. Sucks.

Nellie
10-30-2007, 06:53 AM
Hey - I play with a guy named Jeff Smith who I hit with my serve. Seriously.

Good thing he was nice about it because he is an eighth degree black belt.

10s talk
10-30-2007, 09:59 AM

where was your partner serving from ? if he was closer to the service mark than the singles sideline that is the problem

Trainer
10-30-2007, 10:11 AM
I hit and get hit all the time. Part of the game if you play a lot.

What is weird, and happened last night, I was following in a serve and the return was high down the middle coming cross to the deuce side, and my partner and I both went to volley it, he got there first and somehow hit me in the head with his raquet.

Fortunately it was a punch volley and not a swinging volley, or I'd probably have had a pretty big knot on my head, or worse.

Fedace
10-30-2007, 10:32 AM

Yes it can happen but rarely in advanced levels. I have a severe kick serve in the ad court and i go for short angle kick out wide all the time and Never hit my partner ever. and if you are doing I formations, you should have enough control over your serve to do this so your partner does not have the propensity to run away during the serve. With my kick serve, i can actually make my serve travel above my partner's head and still bring it down in the service box.;)

Thrice
10-30-2007, 10:56 AM
I saw a woman get hit in the small of her back by her male partner on serve. She was ****ed! It was informal (couples doubles night) and she was so mad they wound up switching partners with their opponents. I felt sorry for the guy if he had to go home with her... while trying not to fall on the floor laughing anyway. (knocks on wood and hopes not to clock his own girlfriend w/ an errant first serve)

Lionheart
10-30-2007, 11:08 AM
I´ve been hit on my back and on my ***, this last one hurt so much that i droped on the floor laughing.

Sliceboy2
10-30-2007, 12:21 PM
I got hit once in the back of my left ear wit a serve and I heard ringing for 3 days. From then on I had to evaluate my partners serving capabilities, otherwise stay back a little bit.

veryfatchocobo
10-30-2007, 04:50 PM
I've never hit my partner, but I did play opponents that did that on match point when one of the dudes hit my partner's serve. I tried not to laugh, but I eventually did (more like rofled) when I came back home. o_O

NickOlsen
10-30-2007, 04:56 PM
If you are at the net in doubles, your body height should be low anyway (like when you get into the net in singles). Knee's bent, feet wide, on your toes. Ready to attack the ball at the net on either wing or up for a smash. If you get hit at all, it should be in the arse, or in the back somewhere. Wherever you get hit, its a meaty area, and it wont hurt all the much. I think if you're looking back at what you're opponent is doing and not on what you should be focusing on, then you deserve to be smacked :)

Saying that though, I feel for you. Getting hit at speed with new balls in the temple would hurt like hell ;)

JavierLW
10-30-2007, 05:21 PM
I beaned my partner during a lesson. I was serving to the pro and was determined to ace him (hasn't happened yet, but I keep trying). Because it was a lesson, I don't like to waste a lot of time fiddling with my grip or thinking about placement. So I cracked one right into the back of my partner's head. It looked like it really hurt. She wasn't in the way. I was just wild. That one really got away from me!

I wrote her an e-mail and apologized. Now she won't stand in the middle of the box where I want her, and she stands near the alley and leaves me the whole flippin' court to cover.

Wimp!

You should get her to at least stand back near the service line, but in the middle of the box (left-right middle). I got one of my players to do this who's sole concern was getting hit.

You'd have to hit the ball so far out to hit them there that it's not really any worse then standing in the alley, plus they can move in once they hear you serve which is way more usefull then what they can do from the alley.

JavierLW
10-30-2007, 05:22 PM

Ive been hit with a racquet in the back of the head before. There is nothing wimpy about that.