PDA

View Full Version : My backhand

IanRichardson
10-28-2007, 12:58 PM
On my backhand i know what i do wrong. I hit a two hander and i try to use more right hand (im right handed) than left hand. But in my mind i know i should be using more left hand and just stabilizing with the right. So what happens is i end up twisting the racquet at the last second and the shot just gets all screwed up. So my question is what can i do to make myself rely more on the left hand than the right hand. I know some pros have people hit left handed forehands, but this has never worked for me in practice. I just need to get over the mental hurdle (bad habit) of trying to use more right hand than left. Does anyone have any advice for how i can fix this problem since the left handed forehand crap just doesnt work for me? When i hit today i was doing a little better and it felt really nice when i would actually use the left hand more for the shot. I need to get to where i can do that every time.

rum02
10-28-2007, 04:27 PM
switch to a one-hander :p

AznHylite
10-28-2007, 05:08 PM
switch to a one-hander :p

lol :D :D :D

IanRichardson
10-28-2007, 07:23 PM
tried that, i cant get the mechanics lol... right now about all i do is 1 hand slice though, but that sits up too much.

metamike
10-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Spend a week tossing your tennis racquet inbetween your left and right hand when you have time, then in the middle of a match simply hit left hand forehands instead of right 2hbh :)

jasoncho92
10-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Just keep on trying to do it and youll probably get it eventually

fuzz nation
10-29-2007, 08:34 PM
If you feel like you need to really turn your left hand over to keep the ball down, you may need to experiment with different grips so that the racquet doesn't start so open. Go a little further around in the backhand direction (with your grip) and loosen up a little when you swing so the racquet can release through the ball effectively.

You can also try to set up so that you feel more like you're below the incoming ball and instead of swinging through it, you have to lift through it as you hit so that you do a better job of turning it over with topspin. This concept helps me to better engage my legs and core muscles when I get to feeling like I'm arming the ball too much.

sixftlion
10-29-2007, 09:36 PM
I used to have the same problem, my hands were always "fighting" which one is going to be the dominant one during the stroke... Eventually, I got fed up and dumped my two-handed backhand completely. I have now two forehands, rightie and leftie. I've been working on the leftie one for 7 months now and it's about 90% of my rightie. And I am loving it! My goal is to have sort of Nadal-like top spin short angle to people's backhand, open the court and set it up for my rightie.

ho
10-30-2007, 07:22 AM
On my backhand i know what i do wrong. I hit a two hander and i try to use more right hand (im right handed) than left hand. But in my mind i know i should be using more left hand and just stabilizing with the right. So what happens is i end up twisting the racquet at the last second and the shot just gets all screwed up. So my question is what can i do to make myself rely more on the left hand than the right hand. I know some pros have people hit left handed forehands, but this has never worked for me in practice. I just need to get over the mental hurdle (bad habit) of trying to use more right hand than left. Does anyone have any advice for how i can fix this problem since the left handed forehand crap just doesnt work for me? When i hit today i was doing a little better and it felt really nice when i would actually use the left hand more for the shot. I need to get to where i can do that every time.

it's sound like me several years ago. too much analysing and detail in unesessary mechanic. there is NO left or right hand in the stroke until the ball hit the racket. that it!!. only body rotation (no pull no push anything)start from the hip first then to the torso then to the shoulder. Arm, body, hands... is one unit until the ball is struck, by then you can push it out by your left or your right. Change your thinking, the most important part is the timming when you hit the ball and where to hit it. You will surprised how much power you can get with a very short backswing. It's the simplest stroke in my opinion.