PDA

View Full Version : Different String Patterns

In)SpiRe
10-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Just a couple questios:
1. What does it mean an open face and closed face?
2. Why does the different string patterns matter? Such as 18x20, and 16x20, etc..
3. Which string patterns are better for control and/or spin?
4. And will different string patterns really affect someone's game?

Any help will be much appreciated!

anirut
10-28-2007, 05:46 PM
1. What does it mean an open face and closed face?

Open or closed face is to mean the angle of the racket face when hitting the ball. An open face means the hitting-face is open to the sky. A closed face means the hitting-face is facing the ground (closed from the sky).

In this case you're asking about string pattern, the term pattern should be used instead of face. So it should be open/close pattern.

Open pattern means there are less mains/crosses on the racket face thus the strings are more "spaced out" and more open. Close (tight/dense) pattern means the opposite

2. Why does the different string patterns matter? Such as 18x20, and 16x20, etc..

Because they play and feel different. "Normally" a tight pattern will give you a firmer feel and gives you better control (if you know how to control) and lower power. Opposite for open pattern.

3. Which string patterns are better for control and/or spin?

Control-wise, as said above, goes to tight pattern. Spin-wise, open pattern. Not that closed pattern is "that bad" for spins. If you know how to spin the ball, any pattern will give you the shot. But, yes, using the same technique, an open pattern will give you more spin.

4. And will different string patterns really affect someone's game?

Yes and no. Depends on how good you are to be able to adapt yourself to the the feel. Of course, we have our preferences. But if need be we can adjust. As for me, I have both close and open pattern rackets in my bag. I usually play a closed pattern, but if I find that playing on certain court or against certain player an open pattern is more suitable, I make the switch.

Hope this helps.