PDA

View Full Version : atp supplied supplements

Datacipher
11-17-2004, 02:44 PM
Hopefully this will end the lame excuse lies (Rusedski) and be idiot proof (Graydon)...but we'll see...I doubt this will be the end of the scandals. If I sound bitter, it's because I am...doping has become the rampant condoned but hidden form of cheating in pro sports and we either need to make this stuff legal and acknowledge it or seriously crack down....because if you want your kid to be a pro athlete...you should think twice these days.

ATP To Provide Players With Supplements In 2005
By Tennis Week
11/17/2004

The ATP Tour announced it will supplying players with nutritional supplements next year. In an effort to prevent contamination, all supplements dispensed by the ATP will be tested by World Anti-Doping Agency-affiliated labs.

Pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline, through its Lucozade Sports Science Academy, will produce a limited range of sports nutrition products for us by ATP players. Both measures were recommended by the ATP Task Force on Supplements, formed in February with the goal of providing players with practical advice on how to reduce the risk of inadvertent doping associated with dietary and nutritional supplements. The Task Force was comprised of a leading group of players, tournament representatives, coaches, medical and nutrition experts and ATP personnel. Andre Agassi, James Blake, Albert Costa, Fernando Gonzalez, Tim Henman, Dominik Hrbaty, Mark Knowles, Ivan Ljubicic and Max Mirnyi were among the players appointed to the task force.

"As a member of the Task Force, I'm pleased to deliver on a promise to our fellow players to work with the ATP and outside experts to find a way to deal with the supplement contamination concerns affecting not only tennis players, but all professional athletes," Agassi said in a statement issued by the ATP. "The Task Force's objectives were reached, and now all ATP players will benefit from its work. I learned a lot about nutrition, health and anti-doping matters during the Task Force process, and hope my experience will be shared by all players who undergo the education programs that will be put in place."

Former U.S. Open runner-up Greg Rusedski tested positive for the banned substance nandrolone during the RCA Championships in Indianapolis in July of 2003 shortly after the ATP admitted that seven players who tested positive for nandrolone during a period from late August 2002 to mid-May 2003 may have ingested the banned substance through contaminated tablets inadvertently supplied by ATP Tour trainers. The ATP stopped supplying players with supplements in May of 2003.

In March, Rusedski was exonerated for his positive test by a three-man Tribunal that found the fingerprint in Rusedski's case similar to the seven positive tests. The Tribunal ruled the ATP "created the underlying situation in the first place, by distributing tablets that, on the best available scientific evidence, appeared to have been contaminated by prohibited substances."

Henman believes the new measures will enable players to use approved supplements without fear of contamination.

"We need to use sports nutrition products to compete at our best, but we have been understandably too afraid to take anything," Henman said. "Now we can have the greatest confidence possible that the line of products stemming from this partnership will carry a reduced risk of contamination with banned substances."

Ronaldo
11-17-2004, 03:28 PM
Will the ATP market these supplements endorsed by these professionals to the public? Can't wait, eh? ATP androstenedione, 19-norandrostenedione, nandrolone, stanozolol, and clenbuterol

Datacipher
11-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Will the ATP market these supplements endorsed by these professionals to the public? Can't wait, eh? ATP androstenedione, 19-norandrostenedione, nandrolone, stanozolol, and clenbuterol

I will certainly be tempted if it can give me the powerful physique of a Korda or Coria!

Ronaldo
11-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Data, just remember instead of grapefruits you may be packing walnuts or pistacchios even

Datacipher
11-17-2004, 10:20 PM
Data, just remember instead of grapefruits you may be packing walnuts or pistacchios even

lol, you have a point and I can't afford to lose anything down there! ;-) On the positive side, I may not have to worry about birth control anymore....