PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Coverage

tennisfan23
11-17-2004, 07:47 PM
What is going on here? The Fed-Hewitt match is being played live and they are showing the replay of the Moya-hewitt match from yesterday. Why aren't they showing the live tennis? This is confusing, what's happening here?

www.empiregutterclean.com

Vlad
11-17-2004, 07:53 PM
ESPN = BUNCH OF SCUMBAGS.

tennisfan23
11-17-2004, 08:01 PM
Now they aren't even going to show the match. I guess ESPN doesn't find showing the 5th biggest tennis tourny of the year important. ESPN is a joke!

Nyl
11-17-2004, 08:03 PM
obviously the match is gonna last after 12, that's the time of the original schedule, so instead of cutting in the middle of the match, they simply not showing it live. they'd rather show the "NBA FAST BREAK" ..... S.O.A.B

ESPN shows no respect to tennis and ATP should not sell the coverage right to them.

Ariel
11-17-2004, 08:47 PM
It's not only ESPN, it's tennis in the USA. Tennis is gonna die in this country unless its promoters and the media treat the fan with their due respect. ESPN will show extended coverage of cheerleading, the spelling bee or log throwing but won't show a match between #1 and #3 in the world at the most important tournament of the year, played in USA soil, btw.

That's the main problem: the 'average Joe' will rather watch that than a high quality sport, were skills and strategy are brought to an superlative level. I wish some day we can have the ppv option for tennis so we can pay a few extra dollars but can have the coverage that we deserve, with professional comentators as a plus.

Additionally, the Houston master venue is a joke. The most prestigious tournament of the year is played at a level "C" facility, with no roof and at the mercy of the weather that at Houston in November is a gamble to say the least.

That's why USA will never dominate the sport again as once did.

thatballwas_IN
11-17-2004, 09:06 PM
wholly %&$!%! where's the FREEKIN tennis???? thanks ESPN... you suck! you can take your re-runs of poker tournaments and shove em way up there!

Not showing a Federer match is inexcusable!

Please join me in a Mr. Green protest!

:mrgreen:

Quit smiling Mr. Green! This aint funny!

BiGGieStuFF
11-17-2004, 09:45 PM
yeah I purposely said some things during the match so I could be heard on the replay but too bad it didn't come on.

Listen for "C'mon Roger, give him a chance" and "C'mon Hewitt, you can Do it" :P

Cheesy I know. I got some mean stares when I said the first one :)

Cynnik
11-17-2004, 10:58 PM
I can accept espn for being @$$holes that they are as it is common knowledge, but what I cannot accpet is that why the men have to play in a crappy facility w/ no roof when its known to rain in nov in houston. Its supposed to be the end of the indoor season so why are they playing outdoors? I can understand that espn not showing extended coverage but if there was no rain in the first place and everything was on schedule, they'd be able to show every match on their schedule. I dont blame espn in this case, I blame that damn owner of the houston tennis facility, forgot his name. That guys voice is so annoying in that commercial for that claycourt tourney in houston. Man, I wish the men were playing at the staples center and the women duke it out in the rain. Im just glad its moving back to Shanghai next year, not because they're playing outside of the US because I wish it stayed here, but because its an indoor stadium.

BiGGieStuFF
11-17-2004, 11:31 PM
Yeah the rain delays are just killer. Though w/o the rain the weather would be really nice, but sometimes you just have to take the good with the bad. Don't think there were many problems last year were there?

ty slothrop
11-18-2004, 05:46 AM
hey, don't b!tch. at least we got to see actual MEN'S tennis on replay from THE ACTUAL TOURNAMENT. I was expecting a replay of Serena Williams vs. Sharapova or Williams v. Kirilenko from the French open. Perhaps even a replay of the Williams family challenge exo in CHicago from two nights ago.

And tennis in Texas? Hey, I'm just grateful that tennis is still legal in Texas and that the tournament can go on, what with its connotation to the godless eastern establishment and west coast commies and all. The real reason it's moving to Shanghai is that Mattress Mac, at ESPN's urging, is converting the westside tennis club into a facility to host a "decathlon" of the major ESPN sports: log-chopping, pipe smoking, earwax carving, dog walking, deer disemboweling, hot dog eating, card counting, and the NFL.

Ariel
11-18-2004, 06:48 AM
Yeah the rain delays are just killer. Though w/o the rain the weather would be really nice, but sometimes you just have to take the good with the bad. Don't think there were many problems last year were there?

Last year there were not mayor problems, except for the final (rain delay). I was in Houston last year and the weather was wonderful, but the problem is that is a gamble. The weather in houston is a gamble in general, but november, along with february and april are the rain months, and to play the biggest tournament of the year taking such a chance is folly, if not an invitation for disaster.

irish
11-18-2004, 06:52 AM
ESPN----Eternally Showing Poker Network.

Peter Samprer
11-18-2004, 06:58 AM
http://www.clublakers.com/forums/images/smiles/bspn.gif

BiGGieStuFF
11-18-2004, 07:05 AM
http://www.clublakers.com/forums/images/smiles/bspn.gif Nice :)

pound cat
11-18-2004, 02:52 PM
And here's Cliiff Drysdale's closing remark at the end of to-day's ESPN broadcast. "Good day, I'm Patrick McEnroe, I mean Cliff Drysdale"

& if he says Safin should be a Russian agent in a James Bond movie 1 more time.......

david aames
11-18-2004, 03:50 PM
But you have to admit, he would make one hell of a good agent. And he speaks Spanish fluently : )

& if he says Safin should be a Russian agent in a James Bond movie 1 more time.......