PDA

View Full Version : Hoping for great rivalry between Henin, Serena, and Maria!

davey25
11-18-2004, 07:47 AM
It would be great if Serena, Henin-Hardenne, and Sharapova, developed a great 3-way rivalry next year. They are clearly the most talented, athletic, powerful, and competitive woman in tennis today health permitting. I would love to see the great matches and battles these three could have next year, and the tussle for the #1 ranking too.

degreefanlindi
11-18-2004, 09:12 AM
In 2005, I would really love to see Sharapova, Henin-Hardenne, and KIM CLISTERS compete for the top. Although Serena, as well as Davenport are Americans and great talents, I think the former three would make for some great rivalries. Also, the upcoming Russians cannot be forgotten. I don't think Sharapova is the best of the Russian women but I do see her dominating the game in the future and she's the standout favorite among the majority lately.

david aames
11-18-2004, 09:42 AM
Yeah, can't wait for those 6-0 6-1 matches played from the baseline.

When was the last time someone in the final of a men's tourny was able to overcome a 4-0 in the final set to win the match BTW?

Kevin Patrick
11-18-2004, 09:47 AM
Yeah David,
I just read a great summary of women's tennis in '04:
its a game of who chokes the least.

The Coria-Gaudio French Final is one men's final that definitely resembled that label.

Max G.
11-18-2004, 09:52 AM
Yeah, can't wait for those 6-0 6-1 matches played from the baseline.

When was the last time someone in the final of a men's tourny was able to overcome a 4-0 in the final set to win the match BTW?

Well, off the top of my head, I remember Mal Washington came back from 5-1 down in the fifth in the semis of Wimbledon to beat Todd Martin. That was the year he lost to Krajicek in the final.

davey25
11-19-2004, 11:05 AM
I agree womens tennis this year was a dissapointment. Next year it will get much better though I predict. When you think of Venus and Capriati being out of the top 8 you could get competitive matchups as early as the round of 16 in slams. I doubt Clijsters will ever play again, even if she does she is not at the level of Henin, Serena, the old Venus, or the new Sharapova in my opinion. Their errors keep her in matches she is in with them.