PDA

View Full Version : Roddick-Safin

BiGGieStuFF
11-18-2004, 08:22 AM
Looks like the weather has finally cleared up in Houston. This match is going to be a mid-afternoon match so that means I'm not going to be able to see it tonight. :(.

Andy C: If they show this on ESPN can you rip it and post it for us? Should be an awesome match.

My money is on Safin if he's playing the way he's been playing though Roddick has been hitting some amazing shots as of late.

Vlad
11-18-2004, 11:23 AM
I think the chances are 50-50 in this match. Roddick is playing at home and it is an advantage.

Jayzzz
11-18-2004, 11:47 AM
I predict Safin will win! Will be close, but he will prevail.

Tennis Guy
11-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Roddick just broke Safin, and leads 4-2.

BiGGieStuFF
11-18-2004, 12:03 PM
They should be showing this on ESPn right now. Any luck?

Jayzzz
11-18-2004, 12:12 PM
5-4 Roddick with Safin to serve! And yes it's on ESPN right now. :)

BiGGieStuFF
11-18-2004, 12:14 PM
5-4 Roddick with Safin to serve! And yes it's on ESPN right now. :)

Damn!! someone needs to set up a streaming feed off their TV capture card!! Someone let me netmeeting to them!!

VashTheStampede
11-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Right now, it's 6-5 Roddick, with Safin to serve.

BiGGieStuFF
11-18-2004, 12:22 PM
Go Safin!! :). That way it will take away roddick's home court advantage if he makes it to the semis.

Cobra Tennis
11-18-2004, 12:22 PM
tie break in the first....

Jayzzz
11-18-2004, 12:23 PM
6-6! Goes to tiebreak! WOO HOO!!! Go Marat.

VashTheStampede
11-18-2004, 12:25 PM
I think Roddick vs. Safin is an underrated rivalry.

BiGGieStuFF
11-18-2004, 12:26 PM
I think Roddick vs. Safin is an underrated rivalry. Seems every match is close. Always tiebreakers tiebreakers, even when they get a break it goes to a tiebreaker.

Jayzzz
11-18-2004, 12:27 PM
4-3 roddick in tie break so far.

Exci
11-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Amazing tennis... Roddick took the first set with 9-7.

It's great to see Roddick showing some real sportmanship by applauding for some amazing shots Safin managed..

ty slothrop
11-18-2004, 12:34 PM
just lost the breaker after fighting back twice in the set, once from down a break and also down a break in the tiebreaker. let's see now if lundgren has helped him after all

VashTheStampede
11-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Lundgren has helped Marat without a doubt. He hasn't erupted at all in this match so far. He's cooled down quite a bit.

Jayzzz
11-18-2004, 12:48 PM

It's great to see Roddick showing some real sportmanship by applauding for some amazing shots Safin managed..

Agreed. I used to dispise Roddick but he's showing some sportsmanship. Part of it is because he has alot of respect for Safin and his power game. Here is a guy who almost has as big of a serve as he does, and one of the best backhands in the business. This is an extremely competitive match.

Exci
11-18-2004, 12:51 PM

Agreed. I used to dispise Roddick but he's showing some sportsmanship. Part of it is because he has alot of respect for Safin and his power game. Here is a guy who almost has as big of a serve as he does, and one of the best backhands in the business. This is an extremely competitive match.

Yes, I used to dispise him as well, even though I have a lot of respect for his game. But now that I've seen how fair and skilled both guys play, neither of them would be a bad winner. Unfortunately my coverage goes out in 10 minutes I think..

Jayzzz
11-18-2004, 12:59 PM

Yes, I used to dispise him as well, even though I have a lot of respect for his game. But now that I've seen how fair and skilled both guys play, neither of them would be a bad winner. Unfortunately my coverage goes out in 10 minutes I think..

Why does your coverage go out in 10 mins? Are you watching ESPN, too?

Exci
11-18-2004, 01:04 PM
No, I'm watching from the Netherlands. :) Watching it via Eurosport but according to their schedule, they show Boxing @ 23.00, but it's 23.03 now, so they might decide not to.. :)

Sure hope so, this is one hell of a match..

AndyC
11-18-2004, 01:14 PM
Dunno if u're still getting it in the Netherlands but here in the UK they are staying with it (and to give Eurosport their due they do tend to stay with live events - sometimes to the benefit of tennis sometimes to the benefit of other sports ahead of tennis).

They are both playing well. Roddick must have just about shaded it in the first set (I am recording it and just caught the match from the second set on). Safin is playing some wonderful shots and Roddick is well.. just Roddick i.e. hitting huge serves and forehands for easy service games. Marat seems really focused though. There's none of the shouting/ranting.. just head down and full concentration. Of all the games I've watched so far this must be the most competitive.

BiGGieStuFF
11-18-2004, 01:19 PM
Dunno if u're still getting it in the Netherlands but here in the UK they are staying with it (and to give Eurosport their due they do tend to stay with live events - sometimes to the benefit of tennis sometimes to the benefit of other sports ahead of tennis).

They are both playing well. Roddick must have just about shaded it in the first set (I am recording it and just caught the match from the second set on). Safin is playing some wonderful shots and Roddick is well.. just Roddick i.e. hitting huge serves and forehands for easy service games. Marat seems really focused though. There's none of the shouting/ranting.. just head down and full concentration. Of all the games I've watched so far this must be the most competitive.Maybe he keeps his head down so he won't spot some hot chick in the crowd he'll want to hook up later with. :)

AndyC
11-18-2004, 01:24 PM
Yeah well.. he'd better.. second set tiebreak. Safin to win this one I think :).

Cobra Tennis
11-18-2004, 01:27 PM
Wow, safin snapped the racquet over his knee.....

Jayzzz
11-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Roddick wins 7-6 7-6. Tremendous effort from both players. I've definately come to respect Roddick more after this match. His hustle and determination are incredible. And yes Safin snapped his LM Prestige mid in half. :lol:

rafael
11-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Not a bad match, Safin exploded a couple times but held it together for the most part. I was impressed with Roddick's ability to handle the pace of Safin's backhand. The match could have easily have gone anyway. I enjoyed the racquet break :).

Vlad
11-18-2004, 02:09 PM
The effort was there from Marat but not the consistency and enough determination to win. Marat looked lazy and sluggish. He played most important points horrible. I expected a lot better will from Marat in this match.
It becomes clear that of Marat is not tanking, then he must be giving his full effort. I, personally did not see a full effort from Marat.

Cobra Tennis
11-18-2004, 02:13 PM
Thats scary to say he wasnt giving it 100% because he came within a handful of points from leveling out roddick or even beating him if you add them in the tiebreakers.....

Vlad
11-18-2004, 02:23 PM
He played well most of the match, but remember he played a horrible service game in the first set to lose. Andy hit just 1 good shot and won that game. Marat had many chances in the first set to break but Andy as always came up with some spectacular stuff on the big points. Marat's doesn't raise his level on the big points and it seems to me his level even drops. IN the first set tiebreak, he did not expect some of the shots Andy hit particularly on 6-6 point on his serve..

In the second set his level dropped noticably. He wasn't putting any pressure on Rodik's serve at all.
Tiebreaks, I am not suprised that Andy won. He is THE best tiebreak player I have ever seen and Marat plays them average.
The only way for Marat to win against him is to be 100% in the match, on every point, because is giving 120% on every point. There is no other way.

gugafanatic
11-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Good victory for A.Rod after some surprise early round losses. Stright sets victory over 2 difficult customers, these tight matches may give him the edge if he plays federer.

SonicSpeed
11-18-2004, 03:08 PM
I always enjoy watchin Andy play against Marat. Always exciting! I thought Andy would lose this one considering the tear that Marat had been on with the last few tournaments and many consecutive match wins.

david aames
11-18-2004, 03:46 PM
The conditions look horrible. They were sweating right from the start...

Exci
11-19-2004, 02:34 AM

Yea, I got it till the end, so I was happy to see the match.

Very good rivalry and excellent play by both Safin and Roddick, but Roddick just has the edge over Safin when it comes to tie-breaks. Perhaps Safin isn't mentally well prepared enough yet to cope with tie-breaks?