PDA

View Full Version : how about the best mp3 player?

Brettolius
11-18-2004, 10:15 AM
looking at them for the gym, running etc. so i'm going for a 256 or 512 mb, and i'm really looking at the creative labs muvo micro n200 and the muvo slim.pro's to the n200 is that it has the armband,but i can't tell if using a regular aaa battery is a good thing, or if i want a rechargeable li-ion battery, which the slim has, but no armband, but the slim looks way tighter.and before anyone mentions i-pod, you cannot replace the battery in an i-pod when it finally dies, and it will, you have to buy a whole new deal, so to hell with that. but anyway, what do you guys think? you can check 'em both out if anyone else is looking at http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=215&product=1 0737

TripleB
11-18-2004, 10:34 AM
RIO is the best I've found. I've had mine for over a year and use it at least 4 times a week (jog every other day and use it when I mow the yard) and have never had the first problem with it!!! It's been dropped, run over (not the blades) with the lawn mower, had water poured on it, and dealt with sweat every other day and it's still going strong!!!

TripleB

david aames
11-18-2004, 11:23 AM
Nothing beats the ipod. Period. If you get something else you will end up regretting it.

I've had one of the first Nike flash player (Rio at the time, Philips now?) -- cool design but it was a pain to load up songs to it so I would end up listening to the same 20 songs for months. 512MB just doesn't cut it for me, that's 5-6 CDs if you care about sound quality. I don't recommend flash based players for that matter.

From the Nike, I switched to the very first ipod (5GB) and got all their upgrades since then - now using the ipod mini. It's perfect for the gym (comes with a belt clip but i got the armband). It's light, doesn't have moving parts, you can load albums in seconds to it. Great interface, great design. Remember, you have to consider software as much as hardware and in that regard nothing beats Apple. Itunes, their interface works like a charm, you can play pretty much all formats and their online music store works great.

We're talking about electronics so I would lose the idea that you are buying something that you will pass along to your kids... The ipod comes with a one year warranty and they are known for walking the extra mile to keep you happy. I've had my first ipod exchanged for a new one no questions asked after 10 months after I expressed concerns about the battery dying faster. And when it's out of warranty, you can buy third party batteries for less than 50 bucks...

looking at them for the gym, running etc. so i'm going for a 256 or 512 mb, and i'm really looking at the creative labs muvo micro n200 and the muvo slim.pro's to the n200 is that it has the armband,but i can't tell if using a regular aaa battery is a good thing, or if i want a rechargeable li-ion battery, which the slim has, but no armband, but the slim looks way tighter.and before anyone mentions i-pod, you cannot replace the battery in an i-pod when it finally dies, and it will, you have to buy a whole new deal, so to hell with that. but anyway, what do you guys think? you can check 'em both out if anyone else is looking at http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=215&product=1 0737

Brettolius
11-18-2004, 11:32 AM
i thought that you couldn't replace the battery whatsoever in the ipod? just read so that so not positive. i have about 65gig of complete albums id3 tagged and used creative software,so that's another reason i'm looking at the creative because of the compatability with the format i already use. thanks alot for the responses though, and you have definitely given me more to think about. peace

david aames
11-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Cheaper if you buy from a third party and use a screwdriver but here you go if you're not a do it yourself guy:

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/battery.html

In regard to your music collection, if it's MP3 you won't have any problems playing them on the ipod. Here are the supported formats:
MP3 (32 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Audible, AIFF, Apple Lossless and WAV

i thought that you couldn't replace the battery whatsoever in the ipod? just read so that so not positive. i have about 65gig of complete albums id3 tagged and used creative software,so that's another reason i'm looking at the creative because of the compatability with the format i already use. thanks alot for the responses though, and you have definitely given me more to think about. peace

david aames
11-18-2004, 12:08 PM
BTW, try to download Itunes and see for yourself, check out the features, store etc. Serve as a jukebox on your PC... Free download

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Brettolius
11-18-2004, 12:13 PM
ah, now i see. not SUPPOSED to be able to replace the battery. filthy *******s. but i like your style, just do it anyway. that does indeed change the scenario quite bit, which sucks cuz i was just getting settled, but i wanna get my money's worth for sure. i'm pretty saavy as far as fixing my pc and all, but i'm sure i'll get in there to replace the battery and jack something up and void my warranty (just my luck) cuz i sure as hell wouldn't give them 100 bucks to do it. thanks again david.

david aames
11-18-2004, 01:27 PM
Third party battery is $29 at http://ipodbattery.com
How many AA can you get for that ;-)

Another option is to purchase an extended warranty (called Applecare) for $59. Would give you peace of mind for 2 years.

ah, now i see. not SUPPOSED to be able to replace the battery. filthy *******s. but i like your style, just do it anyway. that does indeed change the scenario quite bit, which sucks cuz i was just getting settled, but i wanna get my money's worth for sure. i'm pretty saavy as far as fixing my pc and all, but i'm sure i'll get in there to replace the battery and jack something up and void my warranty (just my luck) cuz i sure as hell wouldn't give them 100 bucks to do it. thanks again,david.

Feņa14
11-19-2004, 05:01 AM
I would love an ipod, I'm not very good with computers though so I probably wouldn't be able to get my moneys worth :lol:

James Brown
11-19-2004, 01:55 PM
you dont need to be good with comps to use the ipod. but i tell you, ipod isnt the best. i have a 3g 10gig ipod and 4th gen 40gig'er and believe me, theres got to be btter out there. the battery life is a joke, it says 8 hours for 3g and 10-12 for 4g but thats ********. it doesnt last half that long, usually dies out after 3 hours and if you turn it off for a bit then turn it back on , it dies even quicker. the tips they give you save power are stupid, dont use backlight (reasonable) dont use equalizer (not a problem is the sound quality was better) and dont change songs using back/next (thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard, why let us have so many if we cant switch freely) and ive had my 4g for a month if that. the 3g is going on 6 months.

that and ipods dont play 320kbps, youll get an error, almost guaranteed. and rates like 128 and 256 just dont sound right. im not complaining too much, but for 500$+ (canada) we should be getting something reasonable here. i mean..come on. im waiting on something better and then dumping my pods

as for software, itunes is crap. winamp is better...MUCH better. its also been around longer. Aames, you use a mac dont you? thats the only plausible reason I could see for you to promote the ipod so much, that and the pretty colors of the ipod mini :> i like the green

cristian p
11-19-2004, 02:46 PM
The Rio Karma and the iRiver iHP series are viewed by many to have the best sound of the mp3 jukeboxes out there, as well as much more functionality and much, much longer battery life than the iPods at a cheaper price. They do not, however, have the sleek good looking style or the cool "in" status of the iPods. The Rio is particularly ugly. Most true audiophile geeks that I know that want substance over form have chosen the iHP series. The user interface as well as the scroll wheel for most non-techies is easier with the iPods. Those well-versed with working with folders tend to like the filetree system of the iHP because they have complete control over their organization of where the files are placed. I'd suggest anyone looking for a mp3 jukebox do a lot of research on all of them from the iPods to the Creative Labs Nomad to see what each offers and what you really need and what you're willing to spend. For some people, the direct in-line recording features that an iHP or other mp3 jukebox isn't a necessity, and for some it is a dealbreaker. For some, the ability to control the equalizers is a dealbreaker, and the iPods lose in that regard. And for some, looks, size, and ease of use are the only real concerns, and the iPod is sufficient for that, even if they are paying a higher premium for the name and recognition.

cristian p
11-19-2004, 02:52 PM
In response to the original question about flash players suitable for gym usage, I have seen many people use the iPod mini and are satisfied with it for reasons I listed previously. Battery life does seem to be a bit on the short end and the minis are expensive. If you want the very thin, small flash players, the iRiver flash players are held in very high regard. Again, I'd advise doing some research on the web and pulling up reviews and customer feedback.

perfmode
11-19-2004, 02:54 PM

yea, u can get a new batt for $50. That's an old urban legend stirred up my iriver fanboys.

What format do you use right now?

I love my iPod photo 60gb but I wouldn't recommend it for running and jogging. You should get a flash player or a mini for stuff like that.

perfmode
11-19-2004, 03:00 PM
you dont need to be good with comps to use the ipod. but i tell you, ipod isnt the best. i have a 3g 10gig ipod and 4th gen 40gig'er and believe me, theres got to be btter out there. the battery life is a joke, it says 8 hours for 3g and 10-12 for 4g but thats @#$%. it doesnt last half that long, usually dies out after 3 hours and if you turn it off for a bit then turn it back on , it dies even quicker. the tips they give you save power are stupid, dont use backlight (reasonable) dont use equalizer (not a problem is the sound quality was better) and dont change songs using back/next (thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard, why let us have so many if we cant switch freely) and ive had my 4g for a month if that. the 3g is going on 6 months.

that and ipods dont play 320kbps, youll get an error, almost guaranteed. and rates like 128 and 256 just dont sound right. im not complaining too much, but for 500$+ (canada) we should be getting something reasonable here. i mean..come on. im waiting on something better and then dumping my pods

as for software, itunes is crap. winamp is better...MUCH better. its also been around longer. Aames, you use a mac dont you? thats the only plausible reason I could see for you to promote the ipod so much, that and the pretty colors of the ipod mini :> i like the green

I get 14-17 hours with my photo and I use the backlight on 5 sec setting.

I encode all of my music in 320vbr mp3 and it's fine. I don't get any errors. I don't know where you got that idea. That's not true.

iTunes is probably the best program after AudioVault. You can't beat its interface, data security, "smart playlists" and organization.

Ace
11-19-2004, 09:20 PM
iRivers are the best.

mach1
11-21-2004, 12:17 AM
IRivers are the best...I have an older 256mb flash player from about a year and a half ago, the 100 series, its really cool. Too bad the baterry cover sucks, sometimes the battery would come out when it got shaken really hard lol duh. The other model series' are better with the battery. Well even though Ive dropped mine...a couple times *cough* lol...it still works like new and the buttons havent gone soft or became loose, so its got really good build quality. They've got a couple different models that they have but I think that you should go to there website to get more details.....iriveramerica.com. Hope you get what you want. Flash is the way to go.

khs_tennis
11-24-2004, 05:23 PM
You could always try looking at some Dell mp3 players. I've never had or tried one but you could look into it.

Smashlob
11-24-2004, 09:07 PM
iRiver's are THE best (period.) Despite what Apple's marketing about its iPod Mini, the fact remains that it is a poor choice for someone excersing, because it is still a hard drive based player. Flash based players do not have a harddrive which can be damaged by movement, and have much longer battery lives.