PDA

View Full Version : Shot Spot or similar at next years US Open

NoBadMojo
11-18-2004, 10:49 AM
Understand the shot spot (or similar technology) will be used at next years USOpen. don't know the details yet <maybe the USTA is working on that now>, but I am guessing they will have it at the Arthur Ashe and the Armstrong stadiums and each player will be allowed x numbers of challenges in a set or match

bigserving
11-18-2004, 12:11 PM
Where did you get this information?

The tennis guy
11-19-2004, 09:43 AM
No way they can only apply it to the two stadium courts alone. If you apply one set of rule, it has to be applied to every court, fair to every player.

NoBadMojo
11-19-2004, 11:04 AM
they only have cyclops calling the service lines on the show courts and that seems to be fine w. everyone.

The tennis guy
11-19-2004, 12:07 PM
Do you go to US Open? They have cyclops on every court.

By the way, it is different if you allow players to challenge the call only on two courts.

NoBadMojo
11-19-2004, 01:46 PM
i dont think any event has cyclops on all of the courts but dont know for sure about the Open..i've been to the USOpen several times but have never paid attention...i doubt that court 22 or whatever has cyclops at Flushing Meadows.i do know that typically, they only have cyclops on the show court(s) in most events even Master series ones..tennis guy, you need to give this up..they will have shot spot (or something similar) and they wont have it on all the courts..that would be very prohibitive and i think the players will welcome it

The tennis guy
11-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Trust me, if they allow challenges at the majors as a permanent rule change, they will have to have them on all courts. They can test them on show courts only on a testing basis. But on a permanent basis, it has to be applied to all courts. That's the rule.

What you suggested is like NFL has instant replay only in a few stadiums. That won't happen for a fact.

By the way, they have cyclcops on every court under the service line person at all majors. It is a very small equipment.

NoBadMojo
11-19-2004, 02:01 PM
ok tennis guy whatever you say. they dont have a rule on shot spot since there is no precedence..you're just making stuff up. the USTA just concluded meetings here and shot spot (or equivalent) was a part of the agenda discussed..how to implement, when to implement, etc etc, but you are welcome to declare yourself right as you like....really dont understand your comparison of nfl games to tennis...totally not relevant.

K!ck5w3rvE
11-19-2004, 03:00 PM
They won't have 'shot spot' or Hawkeye or any similar technology by next years USOpen without creating a big problem.

NoBadMojo
11-19-2004, 03:32 PM
evidently kickserve isnt aware that the players are in favour of this.. so what do you suggest the big problem is kickserve that precludes this from happening? if you are gonna just wildly speculate about a big problem, you should at least take a stab at enlightening us as to what this big problem might be..bah

bigserving
11-19-2004, 05:09 PM
I am sure that all TMS events do NOT use cyclops. Indian Wells and Miami do not, they use human umpires to call serve on every court.

At the Open, they do NOT have cyclops on every court. Only AA, Armstrong, court 11, maybe court ten, maybe court seven.

That being said, there is a huge difference between having a machine or a person calling the serve line and having different rules regarding line call appeals. The players just need to know how and who is calling the the lines. To have a different set of rules would seem to pose a huge set of problems.

To have line appeals on some courts but not others would pose a problem for sure. That would mean different rules for different courts. The idea of having two appeals per match does not sound too well thought out. Would the chair run down and stick their head into the peep show like the NFL? What if the player is right, would he then get another appeal? What if they only have two and use them both in the first set? Are they then just SOL for the rest of the match.

Players abuse the current medical timeout system. This would just give some players on some courts extra timeouts during a match.

Anyway, shotspot is a frickin cartoon. A video game. It is not accurate and everyone associated with it knows it. I hope that they do not rest million dollar line calls on a cartoon.

Mojo, you still have not said where you got this info. Are you just making it up?

Marius_Hancu
11-19-2004, 06:34 PM
I am sure that all TMS events do NOT use cyclops. Indian Wells and Miami do not, they use human umpires to call serve on every court.

Montreal doesn't either.

Max G.
11-19-2004, 09:44 PM
"Anyway, shotspot is a frickin cartoon. A video game. It is not accurate and everyone associated with it knows it. I hope that they do not rest million dollar line calls on a cartoon. "

Everyone associated with it knows it? I think not. Everyone associated with it vouches for its accuracy.

Sheesh... "cartoon" argument again? It's "cartoons" like that that guide missiles, ecept that they don't bother displaying that. It's "cartoons" and computer simulations that are the heart of simulating the trajectories of sattelites.

There's no inherent reason that a computer simulation cannot be correct.

Before implementing it, they are sure to do accuracy tests to see how good it really is - I've heard that it's being tested right now somewhere.

Hopefully, the players won't need to "appeal" calls. It will be available to the chair umpire at HIS discretion.

And players have said that it would be better to implement it on some courts than on none at all - it's silly to say that "if we can't have good line calling on all courts, we shouldn't have it on any."

NoBadMojo
11-19-2004, 09:47 PM
i have nothing to prove to anyone on this board..i give good knowledgable posts here..believe me or not..i could care less..i've been involved w. this sport for many years on many diff levels and am most happy to go away and post no more and all the full of crap people may have this board with all their theories and speculation and ******** made up posts. i mean just look at the posts on this thread.....takes like 12 posts before people believe me that all the courts dont have cyclops....need i say more? i'm out..i know usta people..usta people had meetings here...that is how i came upon this info....people w. authority in the usta told me this...that is better info than 99% of the people on this board come up with..most of the people here just make **** up....and bigserving you question many of my posts so screw you too...some people know what they speak of and others do not..everyone just believe what you like, but i am tired of posting truths and being questioned on everything i post by people knowing far less than what i know..i give far more than i take from here..you kids go play amongst yourselves..i'm out

bigserving
11-20-2004, 07:51 AM
i have nothing to prove to anyone on this board..i give good knowledgable posts here..believe me or not..i could care less..i've been involved w. this sport for many years on many diff levels and am most happy to go away and post no more and all the full of crap people may have this board with all their theories and speculation and @#$% made up posts. i mean just look at the posts on this thread.....takes like 12 posts before people believe me that all the courts dont have cyclops....need i say more? i'm out..i know usta people..usta people had meetings here...that is how i came upon this info....people w. authority in the usta told me this...that is better info than 99% of the people on this board come up with..most of the people here just make @#$% up....and bigserving you question many of my posts so screw you too...some people know what they speak of and others do not..everyone just believe what you like, but i am tired of posting truths and being questioned on everything i post by people knowing far less than what i know..i give far more than i take from here..you kids go play amongst yourselves..i'm out

Translation: I am the great NoBadMojo, and I got busted making stuff up. Maybe if I scream real loud and throw a tantrum, nobody will notice that I am just making things up......................again.

Get over yourself Mojo.

BTW Mojo, you still have not answered the simple question of where you got the info. That speaks much louder than your rant. This is a discussion board. If you have difficulty or issues with "discussing" tennis related things, that you brought up, maybe you WOULD feel better about yourself if you went away.

The tennis guy
11-20-2004, 11:31 AM
You know tennis, so do other people.

Master events are regulated different from the slams. They are under different juridications. USTA can't apply new rules to US Open only unless the new rule is approved by ITF.