PDA

View Full Version : Why Safin always loses at tiebreak?

Golden Retriever
11-18-2004, 09:31 PM
His tiebreak record is dismal although his win/lose record is exceptional. He is a big server and big servers usually do well at tiebreaks. I guess he just doesn't like playing tiebreak.

Max G.
11-18-2004, 09:34 PM
Mental stability, which he doesn't have.

...what's his tiebreak record, btw? I know he lost two to Roddick, but overall?

Vlad
11-18-2004, 09:57 PM
His record this year is pretty bad something like 23-26...
The reason he is so bad in tiebreaks is that he thinks it is a LOTTERY. HE doesn't have balls to admit that he doesn't concentrate well enough to win tiebreaks. He is the only one that I know that talks that way on a consistent basis. He will never give an explanation of why he lost he will say that it is a lottery and they go either way, depending on the luck.
That is as stupid as it gets I think since tiebreaks are by far the most important games of the match and usually one of the deciding factors in the match.

Marat simply misses few points here and there and loses it. Great players like Roger and Andy especially don't give any points away and play their absolute best tennis to win them. Safin's level usually drops in tiebreaks.
I think even if his record was 0-40 in tiebreaks this year, he would still call it a lottery and would say the luck was not on his side. Maybe he was tought that way, maybe he is using it as an excuse for playing poorly in breakers, I don't know...but he always says that.

I wish Leter would tell him that heck with the luck and lottery let's be serious and try to play your best to win them.

@wright
11-19-2004, 06:59 AM
He flies by the seat of his pants, plus he is a hippo trying to be a zebra.

davey25
11-19-2004, 09:59 AM
The point that he had alot of time with Roddick at the net, and threw up such a low lob was pathetic. He isnt mentally tough enough to win more tiebreaks I think.

TwistServe
11-19-2004, 01:01 PM
Tiebreakers are a lottery to Safin. If he's winning 50%, then it is lotto.

Emma Knightley
11-21-2004, 01:57 PM
His record this year is pretty bad something like 23-26...
The reason he is so bad in tiebreaks is that he thinks it is a LOTTERY. HE doesn't have balls to admit that he doesn't concentrate well enough to win tiebreaks. He is the only one that I know that talks that way on a consistent basis. He will never give an explanation of why he lost he will say that it is a lottery and they go either way, depending on the luck.
That is as stupid as it gets I think since tiebreaks are by far the most important games of the match and usually one of the deciding factors in the match.

Marat simply misses few points here and there and loses it. Great players like Roger and Andy especially don't give any points away and play their absolute best tennis to win them. Safin's level usually drops in tiebreaks.
I think even if his record was 0-40 in tiebreaks this year, he would still call it a lottery and would say the luck was not on his side. Maybe he was tought that way, maybe he is using it as an excuse for playing poorly in breakers, I don't know...but he always says that.

I wish Leter would tell him that heck with the luck and lottery let's be serious and try to play your best to win them.

how is 23-26 "dismal"? 10-39, okay, that would be dismal.

but anyway i agree safin isn't at his mental best during tiebreaks. which means that he wins tiebreaks if it is against a player who is clearly inferior to him in skill, but if he's playing against a player who is at his level--i.e. a roddick or a federer--he tends to lose the tiebreaks.

pound cat
11-21-2004, 02:07 PM
He won a tie-break v. Roddick 7-1 recently. Let's face it, there is no predicting this guy and really, the Federer /Safin tie-break could have gone either way.

perfmode
11-21-2004, 02:14 PM
He won a tie-break v. Roddick 7-1 recently. Let's face it, there is no predicting this guy and really, the Federer /Safin tie-break could have gone either way.

true