PDA

View Full Version : Safin Was unlucky yeah ?

JCF
11-19-2004, 01:19 AM
Saw it last night, can't believe he didnt take any of the 3 set points
he had,

When he broke his racket did the umpire give him a warning or what ? i couldnt hear i was in a bar

Exci
11-19-2004, 02:36 AM
He wasn't that unlucky, he partly choked on those points and Roddick played those points phenomenal. Especially in the tie-breaks, Roddick really kept his nerves.

I wanted Safin to win, but Roddick showed pure class on those big points.

Feņa14
11-19-2004, 03:23 AM
Yeah he got a warning for breaking the racket. Roddick was playing his usual tricks on break point down, hitting it as hard as he can I find it boring really.

Safin wasn't unlucky, he just got beaten by an inferior version of the game.

JCF
11-19-2004, 05:37 AM
Yeah suppose he (Roddick) handled it very well under pressure.

BiGGieStuFF
11-19-2004, 05:45 AM
That's what happens when you play the "Lottery"

NoBadMojo
11-19-2004, 05:48 AM
on the first set point safin hit a net ball that came back on him....if he would have been luckier on that shot he would have won the set and who knows what would have happened in the 3rd..then roddick served some bombs. safin had other chances, but the match seemed to turn on that one shot IMO

chad shaver
11-19-2004, 06:30 AM

So if Safin got beaten by an inferior version of the game, what does that make his game? InferiorER? :lol:

@wright
11-19-2004, 06:58 AM
Safin has a simpler game than Roddick now that Roddick can volley and is changing the pace with slice better than he used to. I enjoy watching Safin play, but he probably is the one of the two or three most one-dimensional players in this tournament. We all know what he plays like if he gets out of his groove.

Feņa14
11-19-2004, 09:30 AM

So if Safin got beaten by an inferior version of the game, what does that make his game? InferiorER? :lol:

:lol: exactly!

iamamultitasker
11-19-2004, 09:35 AM
on the first set point safin hit a net ball that came back on him....if he would have been luckier on that shot he would have won the set and who knows what would have happened in the 3rd..then roddick served some bombs. safin had other chances, but the match seemed to turn on that one shot IMO

I had the same feeling. As soon as I saw that I had a feeling that Safin's chances went way down and Roddick's went way up. With a serve like Roddick's you have to put all the hittable balls back in play. Otherwise, he is going to ace you to despair.

chad shaver
11-19-2004, 10:18 AM
Didn't Safin have more aces than Roddick? Seems like early in the second, Safin had 18 and Roddick had 11. I found that rather surprising.

davey25
11-19-2004, 10:21 AM
He wasnt unlucky. He played horrable tennis on the big points so he lost. Roddick has the simplest game of all the top players. He cant volley, and he never changes pace.

Vlad
11-19-2004, 10:31 AM
Safin always seems to have more aces than Roddick when they play each other. THe difference however is on WHICH points aces are hit. If you look closer, Andy hit 5 aces on the second set tiebreak alone! He brings his best stuff when he needs to on key points while Marat fires his aces when he is at 30-0 or 40-15...

davey25
11-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Safin needs to look at how Federer plays tiebreaks against Roddick.

splink779
11-19-2004, 10:44 AM
Didn't Safin have more aces than Roddick? Seems like early in the second, Safin had 18 and Roddick had 11. I found that rather surprising.

I still find Roger's ace to win the match at Wimbledon against Roddick as one of the biggest doses of irony i've had in a while.

chad shaver
11-19-2004, 10:53 AM
He wasnt unlucky. He played horrable tennis on the big points so he lost. Roddick has the simplest game of all the top players. He cant volley, and he never changes pace.

Odd how Roddick finished several points at net last night, including one where he was totally defensive behind the baseline, hit a nice passing shot, and ultimately came to net hitting TWO volleys--one backhand and one forehand. He can volley...it's just not as graceful or polished as Federer or Henman.

davey25
11-19-2004, 10:56 AM
I dont find his volleying very good. Safin wasnt passing very well so his volleys were easy. Watch the Wimbledon and Canadian Open finals against Roger and he wasnt winning many points when he came in.

rafael
11-19-2004, 10:57 AM
When has Roddick ever been known for a good return of service game? I wouldn't be surprised if Roger out aces him when they play.

MattNowicki
11-19-2004, 11:25 AM
To answer the original question, no- Safin got outplayed. Funny how he usually does...maybe that's why he's a waste of talent? :roll: