PDA

View Full Version : Henman vs. Roddick

edge
03-19-2004, 09:27 AM
This should be a good match, I see Henman in 3 sets....relentlessly attack the backhand.

@wright
03-19-2004, 09:36 AM
It'll be interesting to see if Roddick rushes the net as much against Henman as he with Safin. I'm not sure if Henman can grounstroke with Roddick though...

Free_Martha
03-19-2004, 10:11 AM
I hope Henman attacks the Roddick backhand too, because it would appear that no one on tour has bothered to notice that Roddick can now hit winners with his backhand. :P

dander
03-19-2004, 10:14 AM
that's funny, f_m, i hadn't bothered to notice either. by the way, hitting backhand winners against escude doesn't count

gofederer
03-19-2004, 10:44 AM
if rod can fire more than 3 backhand passes per set against henman's slice and charge, rod will win, as anybody will, i should say, because then henman will become a hen-man as usual. btw why pick on rod's bh? it may be less spectacular than his own fh but is surely above the average on the tour, no?

Feņa14
03-19-2004, 11:00 AM
Come on Tim! I hope Henman in 3 sets also, but don't think it's going to happen!

Liam

Thunnus
03-19-2004, 11:05 AM
Roddick's backhand is no better than many ATP journeymen's much less average.

dander
03-19-2004, 11:27 AM
here's to that, this guy's got a LOT of work to do to keep his backhand less than a major liability. notice how in rallies EVERYONE hits almost always to that side, just rally balls, because they know they can break him down
that's why Henman actually has had success against him in the past, attack attack attack that weaker side
even if hen doesn't win it'll be close

alienhamster
03-19-2004, 11:50 AM
Actually, I think constantly hitting to Roddick's BH is a serious tactical mistake that a lot of players make nowadays. He's really strengthened the BH for rallies, and can *occasionally* (certainly not regularly) get some winners on that side, too. Roddick's gotten to the point where he can be really solid in BH shots if he knows they're coming. The BH is a liability for him when he's on the run or rushed to hit one--i.e., when he's caught off guard.

IMO this is why Federer is so good against Roddick, because he doesn't simply pick on the backhand the whole time. He just chooses the right moments to attack it.

gofederer
03-19-2004, 02:47 PM
i've got files of rod playing against srichapan, fish, coria, henman, ferrero to watch again and again but can't find any big problem in his backhand. it's fluid, consistent & powerful enough to go head to head with these guys, if not jaw-droppingly beautiful or utterly out of space.

jarrett
03-19-2004, 03:12 PM
It is not because Roddick does not have Agassi's or Safin's backhand that you can say his BH sucks... He returns consistently, passes fairly well and is actually pretty dam solid from the baseline... Why you guys underate so much Roddick's game? I have to admit that he is not even in the top ten of my favorite players but he deserves credit for what he does on the court...

jarrett
03-19-2004, 03:18 PM
It is 2-1 in the 3rd set for Henman right now and... WHAT A GOOD MATCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't seen Henman playing so well for a long time...

Greg
03-19-2004, 03:48 PM
Wow.

Henman is a net god.

ferreira
03-19-2004, 04:05 PM
I have NEVER seen Henman play so well. A totally different attitude. Hats off. The third set is, in my opinion, as good as it can get in terms of net play. WOW

pound cat
03-19-2004, 04:14 PM
Maybe Henman will conquer Wimbledon this summer. Winning a Master's has done wonders for him.

CBodom
03-19-2004, 04:52 PM
great match
was nice to see rod dick keep his cool after the poor overrule

some real pressure service games from henman in the 3rd since he was up a break in both teh 1st and 2nd sets and lost em... :)

dennis1188
03-19-2004, 05:23 PM
Well played by Tim, he was able to consistently approach @ net (approx. 60 times) , while keeping the ball low and out of A.Rod's 'strike zone' .

rommil
03-19-2004, 06:28 PM
Or maybe hooking up with Annacone....

edge
03-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Damn, I missed the match, had to go out. Did Henman relentlessly attack the backhand? I'm sure Annacone has given him alot of confidence to attack more aggressively. It's all in the mind. Soory I missed it, I love seeing Roddick and Gilbert lose, what was their reaction?

Max G.
03-19-2004, 06:43 PM
What won Henman the match, as far as I can tell -

1) Serving to swing Roddick out wide. This set up a makeable forehand or volley, which he then hit a winner off of. He was able to consistently hit that second shot well.

2) Blocking back Roddick serves, chipping and charging once in a while; and once in a while, ripping returns. Varied return of serve.

3) Of course, his net skillz were also absolutely impeccable, and he picked good times to come in.

4) Competent groundstrokes. He produced amazing stuff when he needed it - placement, not just power.

All in all, I think this constitutes the PERFECT example of "all-court play." Henman used every shot he had, and used them well.

prince
03-19-2004, 06:56 PM
i was seeing henman's forehand cost him the first set - a few of them missed when it mattered the most .

but then a very good comeback....

Ronaldo
03-19-2004, 07:34 PM
Nearly an instant classic IMHO.

SonicSpeed
03-20-2004, 01:33 AM
great match

Andy played like he was constipated (didn't go all out on his groundies), IMO.

Time played awesome though. congrats to him...hope he at least makes the final

boris becker 1
03-20-2004, 03:30 AM
well done Tim. quality match.

he gets into roddicks head.

I hope Federer wins his match and Tim gets past labadze because Tim absoultely owns federer.

pound cat
03-20-2004, 05:38 AM
I'm with you, boris becker 1. Henman's manner on court, that funny pre-serve bouncing, the feeble fist pumps used to drive me crazy. I watched a different guy last night. He's playing his game, & I think as someone mentioned, Anacone has helped a lot. Go Tim, all the way to Wimbledon victory.

@wright
03-20-2004, 06:26 AM
Wish I hadn't missed it, sounds like it was a great match...

edge
03-20-2004, 06:41 AM
Wow, I think it would be great for the game if he wins Wimbledon. Without Sampras in the mix and if he avoids Hewitt in the draw, he just might do it.

edge
03-20-2004, 06:44 AM
I'm rooting for him. Hell, if Tim wins Wimbledon, Annacone will be more revered than Gilbert...and he is more gracious and pleasant than that egotist.

Tennisute
03-20-2004, 06:46 AM
Henman is a smart player, he appeared to play like it was a chess match and he did more than guess right on a lot of shots. He has so many strokes in his arsenal and he isn't afraid to win by just a point. Give Roddick credit, he didn't back down.

I watched Henman live on Sat, man he moves fast, he's amazing when he's on.

What up with Flipper? Dude didn't make it out of the second round, guess the surf was happening...

Feņa14
03-20-2004, 07:03 AM
What can I say!

I am proud to be English, I have been saying Tim will win Wimbledon since October (on the old board), everyone was saying Federer will destroy him, I am glad to see that some of you now share the same views.

Role on July! (I'll be there!)

Liam

AAUS
03-20-2004, 07:28 AM
Ive been saying Tim would win Wimbledon for 3 years...

Max G.
03-20-2004, 12:28 PM
Everyone's always been saying Tim would win Wimbledon... and he's come so tantalizingly close so many times. He has a very, very good chance this year - but he still has to win those seven matches, and not get unlucky with draws (i.e. not run into Lleyton) or with injuries, and has to not choke.