PDA

View Full Version : Coria and Gaudio at this year's CUP....what a waste

lelopez
11-19-2004, 07:39 AM
Maybe Coria deverved to be there because of his high ranking early in the season, but when you come back from a 3 month layoff due to injury and your 1st tourney is the MASTERS CUP, I'm sorry, but no amount of talent is going to make you competitive against the top 8 players who haven't missed a beat.

As for Gaudio, well, just look at his performance. His backhand is a thing of beauty, but he is nowhere in the same league as Fed, Hewitt, Roddick, Safin etc... It is a shame that just becase he won the FO and the ATP holds true to that stupid rule, he was invited to the CUP. He is by no means, as the ATP Master's Cup commercial goes "one of the 8 top players in the world"......baloney.

I would have loved to have seen Agassi and Nalbandian in there. The field would have been much more competitive and no matches would have been a "guaranteed win" (as for the case of matches against Coria or Gaudio)

Anyone else agree?? I think the ATP should consider this for following years.

@wright
11-19-2004, 07:54 AM
You are right, I think Gaudio shouldn't have been allowed to play just because of the RG win. Coria, on the other hand, is a very competent hard court player and deserved to be there if he had the ranking points. Sometimes it just works out that good players have slumps and can't compete, but that takes nothing from Coria, arguably the best clay courter in the world, and a damn good hard courter. He could have sat out, but he earned his right to make some $$$ and have a chance to pull off a win or two.

Rickson
11-19-2004, 08:02 AM
Coria could hold his own at the TMC, but he's injured. Coria should have sat out this year's TMC, but maybe he wants that 120K for a win that badly.

William Bedford
11-19-2004, 08:23 AM
Rickson is bang on - $$$$ was the consideration for Coria.

Free_Martha
11-19-2004, 08:31 AM
Gaudio is the joke of the tournament.

SydW
11-19-2004, 10:18 AM
I am rather neutral about the rules. But with the theory of Andre/Nalbandian would have been better, so Gaudio/Coria should sit out, just wondering if Hewitt makes it to the semi, knowing that Roger is in the final, should he give a walk over to his opponents in semi perharps Andy or Safin or Henman who most likely had better chance against Federer?

Free_Martha, did you watch any of Gaudio's match in this tournament? Can you kindly describe to me which part of it had been a joke so far?

The tennis guy
11-19-2004, 10:28 AM
Whine and whine!

I watched Gaudio vs Federer, he played great, better than Hewitt vs Federer.

For those who said Agassi and Nalbadian should be there. Well, win a slam or at least to a slam final first this year before they deserve anything. Or change the rule!

To me, a slam winner is better than any non-winner. Just ask every tennis player, do they want to win one slam ranked 20th or they want to be ranked #5 without slam title? You know the answer.

davey25
11-19-2004, 11:36 AM
They are a bit of an embarassment but rules are rules. Under the rules they qualified thus they deserve to be there. It wouldnt be fair to change rules to suit certain players regardless what personal feeling might be.

lelopez
11-19-2004, 11:56 AM
tennis guy,

What I am saying is that the Master's cup should ideally "bring" the top 8 tennis players in the world. That is not what we are seeing. Hewitt may have been rolled over by Federer, but he is still one of the best 8 players in the world, period.

Gaudio on the other hand is not one of the best 8 players in the world and that is what I am arguing. He is a solid player, no doubt about that, but he is not used to competing at the top level and he is not mentally tough. Definitely not top 10 material in my opinion. If it were up to me to change the ATP rules, I definitely would for that fan's sake.

And I think Coria should have sit this one out.....with an already disappointing 2nd half of the season and an injury, this is a slam in the face for his confidence. He is not very mentally tough to begin with and this Cup probably will hurt him even more.

However, as expected, the semis should be interesting. Fed, Roddick, Hewitt (more than likely since he's rolling 6-2, 3-1 over Gaudio) and the winner of Henman/Safin. Now THAT is a top 4 lineup!

SydW
11-19-2004, 12:00 PM
If I were to change the ATP rules, I will then also rotate the surface of this year end tournament, only fair to get all these top players to prove themselves on all surfaces.

I wonder when it's on the clay surface, are we going to ask Roddick to sit out and let some other better players on clay in it so we get more competitive matches?

drakulie
11-19-2004, 12:21 PM
Slam or no slam-neither Coria or Gaudio are one of the best players in the world.

davey25
11-19-2004, 12:24 PM
I think Coria could be considered one of the 8 best when healthy. Not Gaudio. I do agree with the slam winner rule getting in though so for that reason I agree with him being in the field. Just like a player who wins 2 slams to somebody's 1 should always be #1 to me; a player who wins a slam should atleast be in the top 8 to me.

gmlasam
11-19-2004, 12:59 PM
Well the Roddick and Coria match on right now at ESPN2 is much better than the Gaudio and Hewitt match by far. It is 4-4 in 1st set so far.

Jayzzz
11-19-2004, 01:04 PM
Very impressed with Coria's game! Seems like he can handle Roddicks pace just find, and produce some of his own, despite his lack of size. 5-4 Coria so far!

BiGGieStuFF
11-19-2004, 01:49 PM
Match over. Roddick 7-6(4), 6-3.

Lee
11-19-2004, 01:52 PM
I'd MUCH rather see potential dark horses such as Robin Solderling, Rafael Nadal or Tomas Berdych than Gaudio/Coria, who can only win on clay

Rickson
11-19-2004, 02:01 PM
I still believe Coria should have sat out the TMC this year, but he played a nice match against Roddick for someone who's not 100% yet. I really hope Coria finds a way to stay healthy in 05 because he can really be a force on hard courts and not just clay.

hlkimfung
11-20-2004, 03:50 AM
Winning a slam did not guranntee you a spot even if you ranked above 20

Johansson won the Aus open in 2002, and ranked around 15 coming into the TMC. However, since Costa, who won the French, who's right on #8, Johansson did not qualify. He's not even in a spot to be alternate since he's not #9 or #10, but since Pete sit out (won US open, ranked #12), Thomas get the tix, therefore please give Gaudio some credit by being ranked at #10

a few years ago when Goran who Wimbly, he's also around #15 coming into the TMC, no one say the #8 player deserve a spot better than Goran, Goran didn't win a match or at most one match I believe

Having the top 8 on paper didn't gurantee great match. Rememeber when Buresatgui (sp) qualify in 1994? He can't even get more than 4 games in each of his matches againt Sampras, Agassi and Bureagra (sp) maybe

Same goes for Lapentti a fews years ago, when the event is played in Frankfurt or Hanover, where only the top 8 on the computer qualify, otherwise Petr Korda would have play at least one TMC

perfmode
11-20-2004, 06:43 AM
Coria could hold his own at the TMC, but he's injured. Coria should have sat out this year's TMC, but maybe he wants that 120K for a win that badly.

Wouldn't you play if you got 90K for just showing up? Some people don't realize that they make their living playing tennis. If you work hard all year and make TMC, you should go play and collect your bonus. Tennis is not a game for Coria, it's his job.

I am willing to bet that none of you would bow out of a tourney to let some old fart collect your 90K bonus.

perfmode
11-20-2004, 06:45 AM
If I were to change the ATP rules, I will then also rotate the surface of this year end tournament, only fair to get all these top players to prove themselves on all surfaces.

I wonder when it's on the clay surface, are we going to ask Roddick to sit out and let some other better players on clay in it so we get more competitive matches?

Very true. Gaudio would **** Roddick on clay.

drakulie
11-20-2004, 08:36 AM
In my opinion Coria should not have played.

Fans pay the salaries of tennis players. Having someone limp around on the court is not my idea of receiving a good product for my hard-earned money.

perfmode
11-20-2004, 03:24 PM
In my opinion Coria should not have played.

Fans pay the salaries of tennis players. Having someone limp around on the court is not my idea of receiving a good product for my hard-earned money.

Coria worked hard all year. If you had a good job and had the opportunity to collect a 90K bonus at the end of the year, you know you would take it. Stop being so selfish. Pro tennis is not all about you. Coria has the right to play a tournament that he qualified for, whether you like it or not. He shouldn't feel guilty for having an injury that just wouldn't go away.

If you were in his position, you would have played. Stop trying to make it seem like you would have done otherwise. Put yourself in his position.

Jayzzz
11-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Coria had every right to be there! He earned enough points and was healthy enough to compete. I'm happy he was there, and I look forward to seeing him win big next year, especially when his shoulder is 100%.
Gaudio on the other hand probably shouldn't of been there, and his lack of effort and poor attitude didn't help him either. I love his backhand though!

SydW
11-20-2004, 04:36 PM
After today performance from Roddick against Hewitt (clearly a tank job last few games), are we still whining about Coria, Gaudio shouldn't be there?

drakulie
11-20-2004, 06:32 PM
Stop being so selfish

Perfmode, I am not getting paid so how could I possibly be selfish? The one who is selfish is Coria who is taking the spot of another player who is healthier than him and could give the fans a better show for thier money.

How would you feel if you paid to see a match, and after 1-2 games he would not be able to play? Or, he just decides to not show up to his scheduled match because he is already getting paid just because he earned that spot. I am pretty sure as a fan, you would feel cheated and demanding your money back.

Enough said. He should not be there.

chicagohpch
11-20-2004, 06:47 PM
I bet Agassi wouldn't win a game here either. I would rather see some new faces than watching Agassi moaning and groaning. Coria and Gaudio deserved to be there. They earned it.

perfmode
11-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Stop being so selfish

Perfmode, I am not getting paid so how could I possibly be selfish? The one who is selfish is Coria who is taking the spot of another player who is healthier than him and could give the fans a better show for thier money.

How would you feel if you paid to see a match, and after 1-2 games he would not be able to play? Or, he just decides to not show up to his scheduled match because he is already getting paid just because he earned that spot. I am pretty sure as a fan, you would feel cheated and demanding your money back.

Enough said. He should not be there.

He didn't play because he was INJURED. He made an effort to play the tournament but couldn't becuase his INJURY flared up again. Who gives a sh-- about your money. Get over it.

drakulie
11-21-2004, 08:12 AM
You get over it you dumbass!

Rickson
11-21-2004, 08:52 AM
90K would barely pay for Coria's enoturage to travel with him and I don't care if you believe the ATP pays for all that, Coria has to shell out something for Carla and the crew to be alongside him.

Bertchel Banks
11-22-2004, 07:30 PM
90K Would more than pay for Coria's entourage.

Marius_Hancu
11-22-2004, 08:04 PM
90K Would more than pay for Coria's entourage.

Yes, but who knows if that's enough when he brings 30 with him, like he did recently.

VamosRafa
11-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Both Coria and Gaudio qualified to be there. As a GS winner, Gaudio went there and gave it his all, even though it wasn't enough on a surface other than clay. Nothing wrong with that. He was fit and did his best.

In my view, Coria shouldn't have played. He wasn't fit to play, and based on what I saw on the practice courts, Canas would have given the spectators a bit more for their money.

This is no reflection on Coria's abilities as a player -- he's a great player. But he was off his game in Houston, and I don't think the Masters Cup is where you should go to get in some match play.