PDA

View Full Version : Williams Sisters Tour in Detroit VERY disappointing.

Ace
11-19-2004, 12:21 PM
I went to the Williams Sisters Charity Tour last night.

VERY disappointing. Serena I guess was still nursing her abdominal injury from Monday. She was just dinking her serves in. I think Venus was tanking a bunch of points on purpose so her sister didn't look so bad.
It looked like a 3.0 club level match. There were about two good impressive rallies, but the rest was one unforced error or double fault after the other.

I know it was for charity, but DAMN! I want my money back!!!

The Palace of Auburn Hills is a crappy place to have a tennis match too. The acoustics are horrible and it smelled bad. The noise level was high from all the chatter going on during the points.

They opened with a doubles match that pitted Venus and Barry Sanders against Serena and some nobody newscaster from local Channel 7 news. Neither of those guys looked like tennis players, so we were forced to watch a match with four people dinking the ball back and forth. THAT looked like a 2.5 club level match.

The entertainment was the Pistons Basketball dancers, who looked like they received their "formal" dance training from the local topless bar.

Recording artist "Jo-Jo" was the main musical performance. Ok if you like that sort of thing, I guess. She did two songs while four guys danced around her.

Overall, not worth $50, but at least it was a charity event. I'm sure at least $1 of my money actually went to the charity.

Peter Samprer
11-19-2004, 12:29 PM
$50 for a charity? that's pretty cheap for a charity event. i went to irvine last month for roddick/agassi with elton john. the price was $75-$120!!! damn charity! well, we let them take advantage of us :(

Ace
11-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Well, at least your tennis players weren't injured....

...And at least your celebrity was a real celebrity! I think Elton John has a little more clout than "Jo-Jo", Barry Sanders and some news guy all put together.

James Brown
11-19-2004, 12:44 PM
barry sanders is the best running back of all time... but yeah sounds kinda weak. jojo woulda been great cuz shes hot....but 14...so,forget i said anything (im going on 18, so its legal :>). but yeah of course it would cost much more for elton john and roddick/agassi, those are big names..

Datacipher
11-19-2004, 12:55 PM
Well, at least your tennis players weren't injured....

...And at least your celebrity was a real celebrity! I think Elton John has a little more clout than "Jo-Jo", Barry Sanders and some news guy all put together.

Yes, I think all sports tickets are overpriced anyways but Roddick/Agassi/John are definitely worth 5X the price of Williams/Jo Jo in my mind.

Also give John credit for being a real long term tennis fan and player not a celebrity bandwagon jumper who happened to have nothing to do that night....

andorky
11-19-2004, 04:53 PM
Didn't the Roddick/Agassi/John one had Anna Kournikova? The one that was in Irvine, California.

couch
11-19-2004, 06:16 PM
I saw Roddick, Blake, and the Bryan brothers in Lexington, KY last year and it was great. Roddick and Blake had a pretty fun and entertaining match while the Bryan brothers played one of UK's assistant coaches (he made it to the semi's of Wimbledon in doubles on year) and one of UK's former All-American's (can't remember his name- he almost beat Sampras at the French in the first round one year). I thought the doubles match was the most entertaining. The UK team was pretty good but the Bryan brothers were obviously just toying with them.

I really sucks that Venus, Serena and Kournikova are coming this year. I wouldn't mind seeing Kournikova but I'm not going to waste my time.

Ronaldo
11-19-2004, 06:18 PM
Too bad Joe Dumars and Spencer Haywood didn't play celebrity doubles, know they have game from personal experience in a local club. Were the dancers Automotion? Pay $10 for their table dance/floor show. General admission seats were $15.

barry
11-20-2004, 03:05 AM
I read where the Williams sisters got 250K each for showing up. So the $50 you paid was part of Macdonalds trying to recover something for charity.
They never go anywhere for nothing!

Ronaldo
11-20-2004, 03:57 AM
Far more action on the floor and in the stands last night at November's Fight Night at the Palace. Even the fans participated. Must drank many cups of courage to staredown Ron Artest one-on-one to a slugfest. NBA Action, its fantastic

Emma Knightley
11-21-2004, 01:45 PM
I read where the Williams sisters got 250K each for showing up. So the $50 you paid was part of Macdonalds trying to recover something for charity.
They never go anywhere for nothing!

i thought players were supposed to play charity matches for FREE. isn't that the whole point?!