PDA

View Full Version : stringmeter

polakosaur
03-19-2004, 10:21 AM
how well and how accurate does the stringmeter measure tension?

NoBadMojo
03-19-2004, 10:32 AM
depends on how you look at it. it is great to get a reference as to how much tension loss you experience (use it after stringing then again later after playing). also good to check the consistency of the stringjob as far as having a consistent stringbed, but it is gonna read substantially lower than the reference tension your bat was strung at. Ed

tarheelbornjohn
03-19-2004, 11:03 AM
They are very accurate and reliable. However, when a racquet is done each string is not always the same tension. You should check several strings in the sweet spot and get a mental average. However, if you check the same string you will see that you get a reliable (i.e. consistent reading each time).

rich s
03-19-2004, 12:23 PM
Do you get the same result when you re-measure the tension of the same string? Yes.

Is that number an accurate reflection of the actual string tension? Your guess is as good as anyone else's.

However as NoBadMojo stated they are good enough for you to measure tension loss over time so you know when it is time to restring.

Gaines Hillix
03-19-2004, 05:31 PM
I've observed that the tension measured by my Stringmeter right after the string job is finished is closer to the reference tension when the stirng being used is a stiff poly, like LUX ALU Power. However, if the string is a softer string, it seems to read about 5 lbs. under the reference tension. You can't really count on it as an accurate measurement, but as the others have said it is useful to measure the relative tension on the same racquet over a period of time.

David Pavlich
03-19-2004, 07:06 PM
One of my customers brought his QV1 and his Stringmeter into the shop a few days ago. His meter read 42 lbs. on his racquet. Mine read 52 lbs. I checked his and mine against a freshly strung demo and again found his 10 lbs lower than mine. Seems he received a lemon.

David

LMW
03-20-2004, 01:34 AM
Is it possible that your Stringmeter is the lemon, providing too high of a reading?

Match-Point
03-20-2004, 06:57 AM
My two cents. I have tested the Stringmeter many, many times immediately after stringing and it has always read less than the tension I pulled. Generally 5-12 pounds less. But as others have already said its a good reference for tension loss. M-P [/b]

Larry Baldridge
03-20-2004, 07:14 AM
The intended purpose of the stringmeter is to be a reference for measurement of relative tension loss over a period of time and use. The composition, construction, and gauge of the string to be measured, plus length of strings being measured with the string meter, all affect what kind of reading you will get from the stringmeter -- even when set properly with the gauge adjustment. Example: a synthetic monofilament and same gauge of a natural gut, when strung @ the same tension by the same stringer on the same machine will read differently. Even similarly constructed strings of similar materials will be either stiffer or softer in comparison. For the past 15 years I have checked every racquet I have strung with a stringmeter right after stringing -- [logging that reading in my customer's file] and I always check my personal racquets before and after playing as well -- logging any tension changes after how many games[not simply sets] have been played. It is helpful for obtaining a reading on relative tension loss. On a very consistent basis, when taking a reading right after stringing, my tension meter will read 7-8 lbs. lower than the setting I strung the racquet at with my machine. [I calibrate regularly.] That is okay, as the stringmeter is not an exact tool to measure actual tension, but rather tension loss.

David Pavlich
03-20-2004, 12:11 PM
Is it possible that your Stringmeter is the lemon, providing too high of a reading?

Apparently, I've been blessed with a Stringmeter that is quite close. I check it frequently against freshly strung frames and find it is quite close.

It is true that different string presents different results. But as long as the person using the meter knows this fact, it serves as an inexpensive reference tool.

David

brtennis
03-21-2004, 06:18 AM
What kind of stringmeter you guys used? My ERT 700 reads very close to my stringer's machine, Neos 1000?

polakosaur
03-21-2004, 02:44 PM
see i would like an accurate measurement device, but i guess it not gonna be that way

Gaines Hillix
03-21-2004, 05:51 PM
talktennis, the original poster was asking about the mechanical(spring) tool called a Strringmeter that uses two pins to twist the string against the resistance of a spring and measure the force on a dial on the face of the tool. You can ck it out at www.stringmeter.com .