PDA

View Full Version : Who's better, Seles or Sharapova?

Tenny
11-19-2004, 01:19 PM
A recent issue of Tennis compares Sharapova to Seles, implying Seles is 'better'. Sharapova is improving and too young but if you compare her potential and Seles' game (Did we see her peak? We will never know...Sad...) around 91-93, who do you think has edge? Can Sharapova achieve more than Seles would have done then?

T.

Excellounge
11-19-2004, 01:41 PM
Tough one. She really does have a similar attitude towards the game. Just hit the ball, no thoughts involved. Seles at that age won most of her majors, although the depth of todays game is way bigger. So it's hard to tell. Their head to head speaks also in favour of Seles, but those meetings were when Maria just came on tour then. 2002 and 2003 :6/0, 6/2; 6/3, 6/0 So that are scores that just wouldn't happen today. I still give Seles a little edge though, but we'll see what will happen.

The tennis guy
11-19-2004, 01:47 PM
Sarapova wins 9 grand slam titles in her career? No way! Wins 3 our of 4 majors in two consecutive years? No way!

!Tym
11-19-2004, 02:55 PM
Seles was unbelievable in her prime. Even way past her prime and with a spare tire around her waist, she was still capable of beating the current generation...albeit no longer able to dominate.

I think Seles in her prime is the best female player ever...period.

Some players can match her in terms of pace now, but no one took the ball as early as Seles did, and was a relentless and machine like in her power and most importantly POWER ANGLES as she was. She has to have the greatest POWER angle groundies of all time, man or woman, that I've seen. Just unreal consistency and precision.

Never seen such a machine like specimen. Never ever missed, and even if she did; it didn't phase her one bit. She just kept on coming, never a free point, never a second of lost concentration, clutch like she invented the word clutch. After seeing the nerves take over women's tennis in the past few years, it just makes you that much more in awe of how mentally tough she was. The bigger the point, the more fearless and invincible she became. When others shriveled under the pressure, she soared like Superman.

To me, she was Thomas Muster with more talent. And we all saw how far Muster went with merely average talent and a bum knee...all the way to #1 in the world, a Lipton championships won in dominating fashion, a semifinalist at the Australian Open, insane clay court domination by way of the shear strength of his will...it was unbreakable.

If Muster could achieve all that while having only average talent, just think what Selese could have done without the literal stab in the back. This world is a jealous place, and it's a shame that that jealousy chose to pick on Seles...who off the court seemed like such a very sweet and very genuine person. Of course, on the court? She was a brutal assassin, like a shar in the water, when she smelled blood; it was over. A killer instinct and will and concentration the likes I've only seen from Thomas Muster.

Seles in her prime was like a cat focusing on mice. She was a cat among mice, and amazingly she was able to maintain a perfect, unshakeable, steely focus at ALL times. The only time I saw it shook was at that one Wimbledon when she became so self-conscious about her grunting. Putting a muffler on Seles is like taking the claws off a cat...without her grunting Seles was hopeless. It was her ticket into the ZONE, and boy did she ever get into it. In fact, at her peak, she seemed to ALWAYS be in the zone, so fierce was her focus that it actually came natural to her, implausible as that sounds to someone like Pioline (is that even possible?).

Unfortunately, once Seles came back from the stabbing; she "let herself go" for lack of a better word. She never fully committed herself to getting in shape again and the results of that were obvious both in her on court movement and around her waste...she sorry to say moved like what she had become...a tub of lar...jello, to be nice.

!Tym
11-19-2004, 03:01 PM
Seles' plight actually kind of reminds me of Kuerten's plight in the past few years. Kuerten at his peak was kind of like the clay court version of Seles. Stood a little further back, but uncanny focus, will, and determination. The bigger the point, the more fearless he played. Relentless power groundies, power ANGLE groundies, unreal consistency.

But once Kuerten started having hip problems? We all see what losing a little bit in the movement department does to a power groundstroker...it turns you from invincible to vulnerable over night.

Aggressive, power groundstrokers simply can't compete that well when they're not in condition to take all those precise, little setup steps they need to unleash their high-risk groundies with the precision they're used to.

jjames
11-19-2004, 03:04 PM
only time will tell, although, i think sharapova could have a more complete game. a better serve, a better net game, bigger shots. if she continues to develop her game, barring injury or burnout, sharapova will probably have better carreer statistics, as well, and against better competition, certainly more depth anyway. most of monicas accomplishment occured before she was 20 years old. if maria plays til 30, she should easily win 9 slam titles, maybe 9 wimbledons. but its alway tough to tell with the women players if they are going to remain committed.

SonicSpeed
11-19-2004, 06:30 PM
Seles literally dominated during her prime....haven't seen that from Sharapova...but who knows? I think the depth of today's game might have made it almost impossible to dominate like that again though (winning 7 of 8 slams). Although Serena did win 5 of 6 not too long ago...

davey25
11-20-2004, 06:15 AM
Sharapova today is better than Seles of 90 I predict, not Seles of 91 or 92, but Maria may progress to her own 91 or 92 in the next two years. If she keeps on the same path she will be better. You have to keep in mind Maria is facing a slew of more experienced montstrous sluggers which Monica never faced the likes of.

As for the 92 Wimbledon final to the Seles fanatic with her or his long sermon on Monica the monster, Monica was never unbeatable on grass like other surfaces. She could grunt like a pregnant woman and that wouldnt change. That is why she got her *** kicked.

tytan
11-21-2004, 06:53 PM
I think Seles in her prime is the best female player ever...period.

better than Graf?

Type40
11-21-2004, 07:09 PM
I don't think we ever did see seles peak, and for sure she was never the same after that *** hole messed with her.

Seles was a great tuff competitor but so is sharapova, i answered to the poll, "don't know".

katarddx
11-21-2004, 08:26 PM
Sorry man, that is not even a question...Monika all the way! That class act is hard to follow!

marc tressard
11-22-2004, 03:39 AM
Let us not forget that Seles was on the order of 3-13 against Hingis. Hingis, who is now critiqued for a lack of power and a weak serve, would still be around if Seles were her toughest opponent. Are you not amazed by her showing against Hingis even after the long layoff and decline? Women's tennis is not the same as it was in 1991.